• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Hard Questions! Help! (1 Viewer)

Agent Z

HSC
woah!! firstly let me say I just got told bad, didnt i? :D

He takes things too seriously and keeps asking "but why?". If you were a teacher, you would understand how frustrating it is to have students ask "but why" -- and I don't mean for simple concepts, but it's smart-alecky in a way, if you know what I'm saying.
lol!! I see where your coming from, and i wasnt trying to ask in a "smart-alecky" way. But isn't that what learning is about? Asking why and how something happens? But yeah, true, teachers just teach you to accept what's in the text book. I just wanted to know in broader terms of IPT, how things operate in the real world. Like what is the relevance of doing subjects like those then?

Again, this is not about "you" - but more or less, it is? It's the type of student who refuses to accept textbook definitions, and moves away from the scope of the syllabus - which can be a good thing, but it isn't required/necessary. There's the type of person who takes everything you say, and takes it literally, without considering where he/she is coming from.
Yeah, i do accept textbook definitions, but I find if I think about concepts for too long, I think of ways that they don't work etc. which, yeah, prob. isn't a good thing

Sure, it's great to know the "extras/additional info" -- but that's a lesson I've found out in years 9-10 computing studies. I would talk about other things and "show off" (I hope you know what I'm talking about), but at the end of the day, you're not answering the question, as expected.
Yeah that does happen a lot, talk about irrelevant stuff and then run out of time...happened when I was doing the trial...but I am in year 10...doing IPT as an accelerated course...

Do not try and link theory/concepts in IPT with real-world scenarios and applications of IPT to our world
But don't you find that when you link real world sernarios and applications to ipt you further understand and have a better knowledge of the concept? As you actually see where and how this is used. For example, a Distributed Database..If you didn't think of a senario that goes with the concept of Distributed Databases (e.g. airline reservations) you would know the definition, but wouldn't you find it difficult to apply to a senario in an exam? Exam's arnt just defintions, they are senario's so you can't just apply a definition to a question can you?

Why? It is virtually impossible to strictly adhere to IPT, when trying to compare it with the real-world.
I see what your saying about strictly adhereing

so the exams themselves allow for some sort of overlap between what you have been taught at school, with some sort of "example" from real life -- such examples might not even exist
But arent exam's criteria based marking? E.g. "Did the student identify the participants?" You can't just make up an example that doesn't exist for that...because the marking for that question is basically set.

I'm going to shut up now, and I'm sure you'll be "hating" me, but I'm really hoping you can see where I'm coming from.
lol!! no i dont hate you!! Yeah, you explain good. I see exactly where your coming from :)

"Accept it, and regurgitate it" would be my advice to you, sorry.
will do, thanx!!

Huy

HSC
N/A
I can smell a very long quoting-marathon in the posts to follow. :)
Get ready for a long post ;)
woah!! firstly let me say I just got told bad, didnt i?
Well, I put it all down to "finally getting back on the Internet" and catching up with the events of the past week. It's a big deal leaving the computing world and coming back, only to be bombarded with requests, messages, unanswered PMs and emails, and new MSN contacts (btw, stop asking for my MSN/ICQ people LOL... I'm having a hard time dealing with 200-300 people concurrently - slight exaggeration there ;)).
lol!! I see where your coming from, and i wasnt trying to ask in a "smart-alecky" way. But isn't that what learning is about? Asking why and how something happens? But yeah, true, teachers just teach you to accept what's in the text book. I just wanted to know in broader terms of IPT, how things operate in the real world. Like what is the relevance of doing subjects like those then?
Yep, that's correct. But there's a difference between questioning something that has been established (say you've got a convention and method, and you're trying to destablise or create something 'new' - instead of sticking to the norm). Questioning something should only be done if you're struggling with a concept or having troubles in understanding. That's what separates someone who's willing to learn something (to keep up with other students, or to reinforce his/her own understanding), as opposed to the student who simply says "but can you explain it better?" (this is an example and does not refer to you)
Yeah, i do accept textbook definitions, but I find if I think about concepts for too long, I think of ways that they don't work etc. which, yeah, prob. isn't a good thing
At first, you'll want to understand how something works, once you've played around with it, you'll want to explore new avenues and discover new things, interrelate them with other concepts, develop mind-maps or spider-webs, brainstorming and so on. Once you've mastered a concept, you'll be wanting to look for flaws in the definition (henceforth breaking down everything that you know to be true), and that's when you start becoming disillusioned with a subject and start finding it "boring" (ie being a know-it-all, and if I can use a quote from one of my great friends "nobody likes a smartass").

If you think about something for a long time, you'll want to probe even further (in a non-homosexual manner :p) - so once you've broken all the rules and start disassembling something, you'll find that "nothing makes sense" -- which is not where you want to be headed. Find out about a concept, understand how it works, and stop there. Don't even think about "why" unless you're willing to give yourself a "brain/mind fuck" (a term I took from one of the ext2 english threads) ;)
But don't you find that when you link real world sernarios and applications to ipt you further understand and have a better knowledge of the concept? As you actually see where and how this is used. For example, a Distributed Database..If you didn't think of a senario that goes with the concept of Distributed Databases (e.g. airline reservations) you would know the definition, but wouldn't you find it difficult to apply to a senario in an exam? Exam's arnt just defintions, they are senario's so you can't just apply a definition to a question can you?
This is correct. When you start to link basic principles and ideas/concepts towards real-world scenarios, your own understanding is strengthened because you start to realise "hey, I can see it now! So that's why you need to normalise a database..." But this application of theory has to stop somewhere.

Let me explain :)
You'll have a better understanding of a concept when you see it in action, or if you can visualise it (ie learning through visuals, hands-on approach, real-world applications, putting into practice what you've learnt in theory sessions).

When you talk about "actually seeing where and how it is used" - I talked about this in my previous post. There is a clear distinction that has to be made when you're dealing with:

1. IPT, a HSC subject which is confined to the syllabus
and
2. The real world, without restriction. ie there is no "syllabus for life".

Now, that's what I was talking about before. When you've got an HSC writer, who's creating the exam, writing the exam, he or she does not take a typical company or external firm, and try to develop IPT principles and concepts/ideas/definitions from the HSC course, and apply it using a backward-thinking ideology. What you will find is, they will start off with some basic understanding and idea about how to structure an exam/question, so they take a few definitions, from those definitions, they will start to think: "now, how can we take these principles and put it into practice, in a surrounding or environment that HSC students will understand?" -- it is in being able to link and cross-link ideas and concepts involved/from IPT itself, that they are able to create scenarios. (ie forward-thinking).

Exams aren't just definitions, you are correct. If you've just got definitions, then you'll barely pass (IMO). But it is through a scenario and example, that you (the HSC student) is able to build upon such an example/scenario using IPT terminology and foundations. ie starting from the simple definition, progressing through to examples of usage (to the scenario, not to the real-world. Read this back to yourself).

There is a *huge* difference between

a) What happens in the real world
and
b) What is supposed to happen from an IPT point of view/perspective.

It's when you start to question "why and how" they can't be 1, that is when things start becoming problematic and you'll give yourself the aforementioned "brain fucks" - it's like Physicists saying "...but it works in theory!!" only to find out that their maths is incorrect, or some other theory has been crushed due to experimental (and real-world) results/outcomes.

I don't think that an IPT student will find it difficult to link IPT theory to written, exam-based, practical scenario-based quetions - note, I have not included real-world because you have to delve deeper to fully appreciate how theory and practice (thought vs reality) works in the "real world" :)
But arent exam's criteria based marking? E.g. "Did the student identify the participants?" You can't just make up an example that doesn't exist for that...because the marking for that question is basically set.
What I meant by "the exams themselves allow for some sort of overlap between what you have been taught at school, with some sort of example from real life - such examples might not even exist" is as follows:

Exams are criteria based, and you are correct when you say "you can't just make up an example that doesn't exist" -- What I meant was that the examination creation team or group of IPT teachers, who, in creating the exams themselves, will allow for some overlap between IPT Theory and corresponding examples - that is, the "practical" component of IPT - putting what's down on paper, into practice, applying it to the scenario, going one step further than just saying "it works, the blueprints are fine" and saying "look at what we've created, doesn't it feel good to know it works in a given scenario?"

That's what I meant, I wasn't saying that an HSC student is to "make up examples" on the spot and hope to God that he/she will be awarded the marks

If anything, I hope that you will take away with you two definitions/concepts, and take grasp of them when studying for IPT.

Real-world applications
* does not strictly adhere to IPT
* is flexible, does not have to be pigeon-holed into "core topics" such as project management, communication systems, multimedia, information systems/databases, or transaction processing, DSS, etc.
* cannot be explained fully in terms of IPT
* cannot be marked according to a set structure/criteria

Scenario-based examples
* made up by the IPT writers/teachers (HSC writers)
* can be pigeon-holed into categories or core topics (including options)
* designed to have some commonality between the IPT course and similar aspects, witnessed in the real-world
* can be easily marked, according to criteria/outcomes/guidelines

This is what I have been saying all along, but I may have jumbled up some terms, so I may have caused some confusion with terms such as "real world" and "scenario-based" or even "example"

A good point to make right now is this:

Do you see how important definitions are, right from the outset?

If you can't understand what someone is saying, then there's no clarification. No clarification leads to confusion and misinterpretation and miscommunication (one of the communication systems social/ethical issues).

All the best :)

Agent Z

HSC
lol! Unfortunately, as im sure much to the dismay of many people reading this, there will be no "quoting marathon" coz i get exactly what your talking about :)

thanks for clarifying!!

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Agent Z
lol! Unfortunately, as im sure much to the dismay of many people reading this, there will be no "quoting marathon" coz i get exactly what your talking about :)

thanks for clarifying!!
Damn.... and I wanted to type some more! :)

Only kidding there Agent Z.
Sure, not a problem, you sure do have some good questions though, I was thinking (as I was showering, hahaha true story) that some of your questions would be better suited to the "IT stuff" forum, but the majority of your questions revolve around IPT, so it equally belongs here :)

fatmuscle

HSC
lol fatmuscle our teacher made overhead's of all your notes that you had up on your previous site (as well as this site) and he always teaches from them...
you should be WORRIED!!!

omg!!! they're just personal notes!!! it's not a textbook!!!

with the cabling - I meant, stuff like what you would use them for. where you would use them. speeds etc...

like you wouldn't want to connect to the net on a 28.8K modem then network your computers up with a 1Gb network. (you could, but you wouldn't really unless you didn't need the net)
or you wouldn't get cable to your house if all you're doing is going to check hotmail once a week.

rx72c

Huy again your back to your typing frenzy, Agent Z is cool and isnt just a robot or learns books of by heart, i hate that, its just so dumb. But i guess for the HSC you have to be robot.

I can type but i see no point to typing so much shit for nothing, i like to get straight to the point and move on.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by rx72c
Huy again your back to your typing frenzy, Agent Z is cool and isnt just a robot or learns books of by heart, i hate that, its just so dumb. But i guess for the HSC you have to be robot.
LOL yes I am... I just typed up a *huge ass* thread in the English (Advanced) forum on King lear.

For the HSC, all you have to do is tell the examiners what they want to hear. Net effect? marks, ticks, yadda yadda.

I can type but i see no point to typing so much shit for nothing, i like to get straight to the point and move on.
It won't kill you to help others... but sometimes I think about "the point in typing so much shit" -- maybe it's just not "for nothing" if it helps 1 person out. :)

Agent Z

HSC
Originally Posted by fatmuscle
you should be WORRIED!!!

omg!!! they're just personal notes!!! it's not a textbook!!!
lol!! Nah he thinks, and I also agree, there really good summaries! :)

Originally Posted by rx72c
rx72c, your too kind! Although i must agree with you, agent z is tooooooo coool! and also very modest!! Well you've said exactly what I was thinking, i hate rote learning. I mean, is it really learning? No it's not. I, for one, cannot remember a single thing we did in geography last year. I think the most effective way of learning is what many universities are adopting now, PBL (Problem Based Learning). This is where students are given a problem and they are left to their own devices to work out the answer. Hand's on work is 10 times more effective then just learning and regurgitating knowledge. But hey, that's what school calls for, so do we have any choice?

Originally Posted by Huy
For the HSC, all you have to do is tell the examiners what they want to hear. Net effect? marks, ticks, yadda yadda.
Unfortunately, that is ever so true :mad:

If you ask me, there is NO point in school if things are going to be taught this way "Here's a textbook, read chapter 1 by next friday" Not only is that blindingly boring, its also irrelevant. I, for one, am never going to read shakespear again after school, or am I ever going to go to the movies to analyse the underlying themes. The sylabus really should be more related to everyday life. That's why I really wanted to do general maths, but I'm not, why? even though general has actually a certain degree of relevance most courses at uni call for a prerequisite of ext. 1. Which is a big shame, as when the hell am I ever going to use the quadratic formula again, when am I going to need to calcualte the formula of a prabola? Im not.
the entire HSC is irrelevant. The hsc doesn't show how smart or intelligent you are. It only shows whether you have the desire, the motivation or can really be bothered studying. For exaample, I could be as smart as Huy over here, but don't show it, as he studys 24/7 and I dont. Does that make me any less smart? You ask yourself, what's the point of going through high school, and uni? To get a decent job right? Why do you want a decent job? Money, right? (Except for the few who claim they wouldn't work at a job they hated for a million dollars). But you don't have to be smart to be rich. You just need the finances and business world knowledge. Your parent's could be rich, and this would automatically make you rich as you inherit. blah blah blah basically what i'm saying is that school, the hsc and everything basically is a big waste of time.
Make school more relevant.

Agent Z

HSC
It won't kill you to help others... but sometimes I think about "the point in typing so much shit" -- maybe it's just not "for nothing" if it helps 1 person out.
True also, you sure helped me out :D

Huy

HSC
N/A
True also, you sure helped me out :D
my pleasure :)

For exaample, I could be as smart as Huy over here, but don't show it, as he studys 24/7 and I dont.
You won't believe how much I laughed at this... about the studying.

I'm online most of the time, and when I'm not, I'm watching TV or sleeping. I rarely ever have 'proper' meals so I'm always reading something (on the Internet, or leisurely reading a novel (classics)) but I dont have my head in the books or anything, LOL... fridays, saturdays and sundays are a "school-free" period -- if anybody talks to me about school (via IM or ICQ, etc), I go off lol.. you know the usual conversations:

"so have you started studying"
"can you help me with..."
"so what are you doing? studying?"
"whats verisimilitude?"

-- this is at MIDNIGHT on a friday evening? !@$!%#

lol :)

but contrary to popular belief, I'm not a bookworm... i revise my work, do my homework (not anymore ;)) and that's about it. pre-exams i read the text, so that's about when I really do my (serious) studying :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
note i said example lol!
LOL... but that was your example, so I took it to mean:

"Take this for example, Huy on the one hand studies all day, and I don't..."

:confused:

Okay, I understand it to be an example now... a, shall we say, hypothetical situation? (the studying ;))

Agent Z

HSC
Yes hypothetical didnt mean you personally, you just sound like the person who studies 24/7 (not in a bad way)...so yeah. And i DO study so yeah. Ill b more careful next time then :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)