HARD VS EASY Subjects (1 Viewer)

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by schwang_thang

yeah tru, when i was in yr 10 i thought standard english wuddve had an easier workload than advanced so decided 2 choose it, but the teachers talked me out of it n i ended up doing the adv course. i ended up with a band 6, but im sure doing the standard course wuddve gotten me in2 band 4...its so unfair 4 the yr 10s choosing their courses who dont know jack abt the scaling system, esp. when u think abt the ppl with real brains who chose the standard course, n then those who didnt do well in advanced but got scaled up in the end by heaps (stats r that >50% of adv. students got band 5 or 6).

if u need ne more proof 2 b convinced of scaling, consider this: a chick from my school topped 5 subjects n did the supposedly 'easier' subjects, i topped none but did the perceived harder ones. n my uai ended up higher than hers.
when I was in year 10 and choosing my subjects I had absolutely no idea how the stupid scaling system worked, so I based my subjects around humanities because I wanted to be a lawyer, if I had of know that maths and science subjects scaled better, I would have done them, because Im more science inclined, and I just found science stuff so much easier.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
yeah but it is pretty sucky, you could top all of the humanities subjects (which are closer to the requirements of a lawyer) and miss out on the law course just because someone who did physics chemistry and 4 unit maths were scaled up. The people who top humanities are just as (if not more) suitable for law but because of scaling the science/maths people get the course over humanities. I mean you could get 100 and top the friggen state in Legal and still not get into law!!!

pri

HSC
N/A
sydney uni has flexible entry so IF you say topped the state in legal and got over 90 in the rest you could probly ask the dean to reconsider your application.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
yeah thats what I was thinking in that circumstance they might but it just sux that you have to go through all of that when you are probably 100 times more suited to the course than the science ppl

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The difference is not as exaggerated as you make it out to be, YEAR11; there are many many humanities-based high achievers this year who will make it into law.

timmii

sporadic attendee
The cut-offs are based of demand and supply however. So if (as you say) you can only get above 99.4 if u do 4u maths/physics/chem etc...and these people are (as you say) not interested in law, then the demand for the course will fall within the reaches of those humanities people who (as you say) are otherwise incapable of reaching that requirement. You can get there with any mix of subjects. The marks of a 100-achieving person was posted before, and this person did *no* maths/science at all.

Doing law requires hard work - the high uai required reflects the amount of work in the course just as much as a subject mix. You can get there with anything. If you are going to parallel subjects to courses, all aspiring lawyers should be doing 4u english - and doing well in that (and other subjects of course) should be enough to get u over the line.

Bottom line: choose subjects you like, do as well as possible in them.

1 more

fructis
HSC
I did easy maths, loved it, did well in it, and beat all but 2 people in my grade that did 2u, 3u, and 4u.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I didn't say the maths/science people wouldn't be interested in law, but their reasons are probably different (i.e. prestige, income). I know that if you love your subjects you will do better than if you do them just for the scaling, but what Im trying to point out is that a maths/science and a humanities person could both be equal in their marks etc but because of scaling the math/science person will be given a bettter UAI and therefore if the was (hypothetically) only one place in a course, the maths/science person would get it even though the person who did legal studies may be far more suited

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
actually do the subject you do best in ... ignore whether they are hard or easy ...

jessika

law chicky
HSC
or just take the easy way out...

drop out of school at the end of year ten muahahahaha!!!

ellebelle

I'm doing a lot of subjects that don't scale too well:

Ancient History
English Advanced
English Ext 1
Legal Studies
General Maths
Studies of Religion 1
Visual Arts

Does this kinda ruin my chances of getting a 90+ UAI? I'm coming first in the majority of them, but even so, they're scaled pretty badly. Especially general maths, doesn't that mean it's impossible for me to get a high 90 mark?

Twintip

90 is easily possible if you're ranked fairly highly and you know your stuff. In theory, any combination of subjects can get you 100. :)

ellebelle

really? i hope so, it's a relief anyway. but i guess i'll just have to do exceptionally well at all of them to get in that top 1% and avoid the severe scaling down.

schwang_thang

Originally posted by flyin'
actually do the subject you do best in ... ignore whether they are hard or easy ...
wat abt all them VET subjects? sum of them got scaled down pretty drastically, i wouldnt recommend ppl choose them (no offense 2 ne1)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by schwang_thang

wat abt all them VET subjects? sum of them got scaled down pretty drastically, i wouldnt recommend ppl choose them (no offense 2 ne1)
not all of them were that poorly scaled ... i mean look at accounting (average 29.1) ... and if you are near the top (because you are good at the subject) it shouldnt hurt you too much ...

pri

HSC
N/A
i take

4 u english
3 u maths
2 u chem
2 u art

the chances of me getting 100 are slimmer than most coz art and 4u eng are risque subjects in that the amount of work done doesnt depend on marks achieved, but I do enjoy art and english as opposed to maths and chem (in truth who REALLY enjoys them).

i say do what you want to do and if they want to cap you for doing what you enjoy then they can just take a loooong walk off a short pier!

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by pri
i take

4 u english
3 u maths
2 u chem
2 u art

the chances of me getting 100 are slimmer than most coz art and 4u eng are risque subjects in that the amount of work done doesnt depend on marks achieved, but I do enjoy art and english as opposed to maths and chem (in truth who REALLY enjoys them).

i say do what you want to do and if they want to cap you for doing what you enjoy then they can just take a loooong walk off a short pier!
Pri: the subjects that counted for me were 4u english, 3u maths, 2u chem and 2u economics [actually 1 u of adv didn't], and i got 99.95. My friend did art, did very well, and was well scaled for it. You can get 100 with any combination of subjects, but that shouldn't be your aim. Like you said, choose subjects you like, and do well in them.

Also, 4u eng is subjective but not *that* risky. The teachers can tell if a lot of work/talent has been invested in a piece whether it was to their personal taste or not (or at least i hope they can). Or do what i did - write an essay...its pretty much either good or bad!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by pri
... but I do enjoy art and english as opposed to maths and chem (in truth who REALLY enjoys them).
you'll be surprised how many people love doing maths (especially those doing four unit) ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)