• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Hardcore Lecturers (1 Viewer)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
I've got lecturers from Yale, Stanford and Oxford teaching me at ANU. I was surprised to discover they studied at such uber prestigious universities. Anyone being taught by lecturers from elite unis?

Last edited:
no, most of the lecturers i've had haven't been very good ...

are the ones from prestigous unis any good?

or are all lecturers around the world half assed...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
do u mean they taught at those unis, or studied at those unis?

doe

HSC
N/A
one of my lecturers got his phd at princeston

some of the fuckers may be smart, but they just cant teach

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I don't think it particularly matters. You do realise that getting taught at those schools isn't that much of a rarity. Look at the number of graduates.
I think it's more of an achievement when your lecturers studied at Wollongong University, have highly redefined Industrial relations, written many research papers on unionism, have a well-recognised name.... etc etc
Or studied at Reading Uni at England (not the best known), has offered a dynamic critique of economics. Published countless of books and papers. Started up a brand new subject in select Aussie universities etc etc (Political economy)
Or who knows, maybe your lecturer studied at UTS and had a slow start to his life, but then started getting jobs in the best marketing companies all around the world. He travelled the world saving many organisations from the brink of bankrupcy; repositioned the image of others increasing profit.

I don't know what's more important to some, getting taught at a university considered 'one of the best in the world', or actually doing something with your degree and achieving a quality level of teaching.

doe said:
yeah totally agree...

i think i've only had one lecturer out of twelve who has actually been good at teaching the unit

Farcanell

ANU does some pretty weird stuff... the lecturers for two of my subjects there are only PhD <i>candidates</i>, but yet the tutors I have for those two subjects have both done their PhDs.

Its funny actually... the most interesting lecturer I have is one who used to work as a teacher... from the way she talks you'd swear we were at an assembly.

Last edited:

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
I think people who have experience in the industry are the best lecturers. ;)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Provided that their experience is of some value to the students. The phrase 'experience in the industry' is rather narrow and not entirely correct, though, so in order for that comment to be widely applicable, I would change it to 'worthwhile experience in the field that is conveyed to the students in an effective manner'. That should satisfy most people.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
noneother said:
I've got lecturers from Yale, Stanford and Oxford teaching me at ANU. I was surprised to discover they studied at such uber prestigious universities. Anyone being taught by lecturers from elite unis?
does it matter? you're only learning first year subjects anyway - that doesn't require a uber-prestigious degree.

X

xeuyrawp

Curry said:
I think people who have experience in the industry are the best lecturers. ;)
Especially English and History lecturers. :rolleyes:

I have a lecturer with a DPhil from Oxford who tutored there for a couple of years. She's goddamn good.

Also got a philosophy lecturer who has only studied philosophy since leaving school, who went somewhere in Ireland, then went to Cambridge.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
doe said:
omg thats so true. I have some fancy schmancy lecturers with higher degrees from harvard, yale, cornell etc etc and they can't teach a concept to save their life. Intelligence is one thing but the gift for teaching is a completely different story.

X

xeuyrawp

Sarah168 said:
omg thats so true. I have some fancy schmancy lecturers with higher degrees from harvard, yale, cornell etc etc and they can't teach a concept to save their life. Intelligence is one thing but the gift for teaching is a completely different story.
Yeah, that's true. My lecturer from Oxford actually was a High School teacher, in history, I assume, then went to Oxon and came back to lecture. She's a really great teacher.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Most of the Mining Engineering lecturers have some sort of expeerince in the field, and act as consultants and such things. I think that really improves a lecture to have some one there who knows how the industry works as opposed to someone who understands how it works on paper.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
doe said:
= murray in ECMT1010

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
The best lecturer I have this semester is Principal of a local primary school.. she's awesome!

rumour

HSC
noneother said:
No and I also go to ANU.....

nit

HSC
we had a maths matrices lecturer who studied and received her PhD at Princeton. She was really efficient at teaching, though the subject matter she taught was boring as hell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)