Harder 3 Unit Binomial Problem (1 Viewer)

king.rafa

HSC
N/A
Hey guys

The problem is attached as a Jpeg file. It was too difficult to write out here, especially with all the funny notation.

I've tried equating coefficients, substituting in values, but can't seem to figure out the answer.

Help appreciated!!!

king.rafa

HSC
N/A
hey there

i figured out the first part, where if n is odd, then the expression is equal to zero. all you needed to do was equate the coefficient for x^(2n), and do a bit of algebraic manipulation.

all i need help with is with if n is even. i can't do it. iv like tried an infinite variety of methods.

thanks

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A

using the binomial theorem:

We must now equate the coefficients of on both sides, but in order to do this, we must take 2 cases.

Case 1: n is odd

if n is odd, on the LHS there is NO TERM for , ie the coefficient of is 0. This is because on the LHS only x to the power of an even number exists () since the powers are integers multiplied by 2. Thus the coefificient to x to the power of an odd number on teh LHS will always be 0. Thus teh coefficient of , is 0 on the LHS.

However on the RHS, the coefficient of is attained by multiplying the coefficient of by the coefficient of , where

ie coefficient of on the RHS (starting by multiplying the last coefficient in teh first bracket by the first coefficient in the last bracket, etc.) =

[note - since n is odd, the last term will definitely by negative, the 2nd last will definitely be positive, etc as shown]

but

Case 2: n is even

now if n is even, we have the same RHS for the coeffivient of

but on the LHS, since n is an even integer, is an integer, and thus the term with on the LHS is NOT 0, but rather:

thus the coefficient of on the LHS is:

equating the coeffieicnt of on the LHS and RHS for n even, we have:

as required

MAN THAT WAS A B**** TO WRITE OUT!!! lol

i still dont get why they say "show that...when n is even, its value is: [and then gives 2 expressions, i really think they should just get you to show the RHS of that expression....]

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
For n even (n/2 is an integer)

Edit

Pwnage101

I know it's such a B**** to write out! That's why I often leave out intermediate steps . . . I'm a hunt-and-peck typist !!

Also we must all be masochists to be posting solutions. Or are we the BOS equivalent of the graffiti artists?!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)