Hardest geometry question in history answered by student trivially............ How? (1 Viewer)

no_arg

HSC
N/A
Suppose that PQR is an equilateral triangle with an interior point X. Let angle PXR = s and angle QXR = t. Find (in terms of s and t) the three angles of any triangle with side lengths equal to PX, QX and RX.

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's because X must only be in the center for a triangle to form?

no_arg

HSC
N/A
I think it's because X must only be in the center for a triangle to form?
No X can be any interior point. PX QX and RX need to be lifted out of the diagram to form another triangle.

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
No X can be any interior point. PX QX and RX need to be lifted out of the diagram to form another triangle.
Must the angles be expressed only in terms of and ?

The best I could do is

where is the side length of the equilateral triangle and are the angles of the newly formed triangle.

(Hopefully that's correct...)

no_arg

HSC
N/A
Must the angles be expressed only in terms of and ?

The best I could do is

where is the side length of the equilateral triangle and are the angles of the newly formed triangle.

(Hopefully that's correct...)
Given similarity, the solution cannot depend on the side length of the original triangle. Answer is disturbingly simple and the proof is stunning.

quickoats

HSC

no_arg

HSC
N/A
Simply rotate the entire diagram about P anticlockwise by sixty degrees and voila!

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
Given similarity, the solution cannot depend on the side length of the original triangle. Answer is disturbingly simple and the proof is stunning.
The quantity

can probably be simplified so as to remove .

The answer I gave holds numerically for all such equilateral and isosceles triangles formed and most likely for the rest of them too.

The other solutions are definitely much nicer though.

Both proofs a little clumsy
I think the first answer given is essentially the same as the one you posted, just a bit more direct.

no_arg

HSC
N/A
The quantity

can probably be simplified so as to remove .

The answer I gave holds numerically for all such equilateral and isosceles triangles formed and most likely for the rest of them too.

The other solutions are definitely much nicer though.

I think the first answer given is essentially the same as the one you posted, just a bit more direct.
The use of congruence makes it less direct.

jyu

HSC
(s-60), (t-60), (300-s-t)

Last edited:

jyu

HSC
Suppose that PQR is a 50-60-70 (respectively) triangle with an interior point X. Let angle PXR = s and angle QXR = t.
Find (in terms of s and t) the three angles of any triangle with side lengths equal to PX, QX and RX.

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
Suppose that PQR is a 50-60-70 (respectively) triangle with an interior point X. Let angle PXR = s and angle QXR = t.
Find (in terms of s and t) the three angles of any triangle with side lengths equal to PX, QX and RX.
so is anyone going to solve this?

idkkdi

HSC
so is anyone going to solve this?
Can someone please solve this lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)