Hardest Topic in 3unit? (1 Viewer)

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
So far, it's P&C and binomial theorom. Our school's slow, so we're not up to SHM yet, and projectile isn't hard, I sort of like it.... :eek:

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
xxJTxx said:
It's sad that I don't even know where to start with those questions.
I'm so dropping 3u after / right before trials lol.
isnt it better to drop now since you dont stress over the fact that you don't get it ?

bridges

HSC
SHM and projectile motion so far.

dont wanna think about what comes later:eek:

SoulSlayer

HSC
watatank said:
aren't those the last topics? that was our last topic lol.
The extension 1 class I was in this year learnt projectile motions, SHM and P&C in tearm 1 of this year.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Typically speaking, projectile motion and binomial theorem are often the toughest to nail in the HSC. That's why in many past papers, the last or hardest question is either a projectile motion problem or a binomial expansion proof...

HSC
Circle geometry.
Or parameters (and I'm not even sure if they're 3u XD)

Though we haven't done thingame and permutations yet :/
I'm worried.

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
xclusv2bhung said:
P&C + SHM for me.
For some reason ... projectiles is a lot easier than SHM. I don't get SHM.
Oh , and probability =;(
Lol, that's cos you do phys, hung XD

I'm happy to say that 3U's the only subject I'm relatively confident in XD (Or maybe I shouldn't be happy since it's the only one >.O; ) Inverse functions were a disaster for me in the beginning, but I get the hang of it now XP Haven't learnt binomial or permutations yet, tho I heard it's related to probability and that was my fav topic in 2U XD

cuppy

HSC
N/A
i think a lot of people hate it because its toward the end of the syllabus and thats when students get lazy and can't be bothered putting in the effort because there is already so much to know.

iEdd

HSC
Firstly, I think most of us can agree that in almost every situation, Exponential Growth and Decay is piss easy and possibly just a filler to add more content to the course as it's not really harder than the 2 unit version.

I like Binomial theorem, permutations and combinations, because I am usually able to spatially visualise something. [Except the number of ways n people can sit around a table is (n-1)!. I can get it but it's really hard to visualise, other than to try and think of them as in space and not in the seats of at the table. I also hate the (Tk+1)/Tk thing.]

SMH is easy to remember, with basically just one general formula which can be expressed in sine or cosine [sinx=cos(90-x), but in radians of course]. Although it relies more on understanding than knowledge.

Applications of calc to the physical world is not too hard to apply, but a complete bitch to remember the 4 main formulae, as well as the whole converting function of time to function of position. It would probably help to learn how to derive the formulae, not just memorising it.

Circle geometry is ok if you start by doing the proofs, starting with the "angle at the centre is twice the angle at the circumference" and using it to prove many others. Just get a general understanding and look for key signs in questions. Although it's annoying because some questions are obvious and some are really hard to see where to start.

That leaves me with trigonometry. I think overall it is the hardest topic simply because of the depth to it. From the transformation rule to 't' formulae, 2 angle rules, double angle rules, etc. It all leads on to each other, which is good, but can also make a question hard to start.

I'm yet to do induction, so I'm not sure where that fits in with difficulty.

Last edited:

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
I believe that Trig and Applications of Calculus are the two hardest topics for 3-unit. That being said, i haven't done nearly enough of Application of Calculus (barely any in fact)

cuppy

HSC
N/A
i found that at first projectiles and SHM appeared to be hard to learn but after doing some questions they became easy because they are all very similar. Same goes for combinations and permutations as well as the Binomial Theorem. Induction isn't bad either because its always the same steps. its just the algebra which can get long and cause some silly mistakes.

mis_0310

eumelio
HSC
This is what I think now, thinking back to last year..

Fun Topics:
Induction
Circle Geometry
Apps of Calculus
Trig
Binomial Theorem part of probability

Annoying Topics:
The rest of probability.. although it becomes fun in uni :D

bassguy

HSC
P and C, and also logs + exponentional functions. They're everywhere, and I just can't remember the fuckers.

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
cuppy said:
i found that at first projectiles and SHM appeared to be hard to learn but after doing some questions they became easy because they are all very similar. Same goes for combinations and permutations as well as the Binomial Theorem. Induction isn't bad either because its always the same steps. its just the algebra which can get long and cause some silly mistakes.
Yeah, the most common mistake I see people in my class make with induction is forgetting that there is a k'th term before the (k+1)'th term to sub the result from n=k into x.x;

Projectiles and SHM are easy for people who do phys. For those who don't, if they sit down and think about it, they'll eventually get it IMO. After all, at least this part of maths is realistic. I remember back in YR5, every time I see a question talking about how many baskets do I need to hold 5mil apples when each basket holds 1mil, I was like "Where the hell do they get baskets this big?!" >.>;

Trig has a lot of variations, so it just comes with practise and exposure to questions in different forms, I guess ^.^;

Last edited:

beentherdunthat

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Hardest Topic in 3unit?

Hikari Clover said:
:wave: Ahh comeon!!! But that's easy!! (Well, In my humble opinion :) )

I HATE Projectiles and the extremely hard Q.7 binomial theorems!! They suck
*Think CSSA trials* Last years binomial question was easy... damns, we have shit luck!!!:mad1:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)