hardwork vs. natural ability (1 Viewer)

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
I don'y understand why people who get good mark are afraid to admit they study.

beccabum

hung up
in the outer suburbs of the middle of nowhere
HSC
natural ability did only a bit for me, but thats prolly coz i picked subjects that weren't really suited to my natural strengths. it just depends. like its useless picking sciences if your strenghts are in humanities and vice versa, becuase you will find you will have to work so much harder and won't enjoy it, rather than cruising with your talents.

Perhaps

HSC
N/A
I think the question's more... why is it that when someone gets a good mark and say they didn't study, it's instantly assumed that they're lying?

I dunno, people study in different ways and so it's a sort of combination of both natural ability and 'hard work'. There was a girl (well a few, but one in particular) at my school who studied like crazy. As in, 9am to midnight nearly everyday, and while she did really well (in the mid 90s), there were still others, such as the dux of our school (99.65) who barely studied at all, but still did something, and that was good enough for her. Same person mz_purfect was talking about on the first page, I think (you have to admit, though, starting at 1am is not exactly studying). It's not that people with natural ability don't study, it's just that they study differently. What might take a few weeks for someone to fully understand and learn might just take another a night. That's what it was like for me. Hell, I had given up on the HSC before the Trials came around, 2 of my major works were done in two days and the other in five, just before they were due, studied only for exams the night before/morning of, and still managed a really f'ckin' surprising 98.10.

So yeah, it's a mixture of both. Besides, the scaling system's crap anyway and is in no way indicitive of people's real intelligence, in my opinion. Especially UAIs below 95 when it depends so much more on how everyone else did.

But I'm rambling now. *stops herself*

Last edited:

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
Curry said:
really that beats me...but i fink its cause they want the world to know that they are SMART (naturally) and can excel without any hard work. It also compensates them if the opposite happens saying that they didn't study much...

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
it also prevents annoying fags from nagging them for notes/help and ''blah blah u studied u must be soOOoOOOoo smart'' accusations

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
i guess it's just avoiding being branded as a NERD.

Cos if your cool you get good marks without studying.

But then I got really good marks (came 6th) for a 3U Maths test without studying because i had an english speech to prepare. But I did my homework really thoroughly when we went through the subject.
So maybe thats why people deny it.

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
Perhaps said:
I think the question's more... why is it that when someone gets a good mark and say they didn't study, it's instantly assumed that they're lying?

I dunno, people study in different ways and so it's a sort of combination of both natural ability and 'hard work'. There was a girl (well a few, but one in particular) at my school who studied like crazy. As in, 9am to midnight nearly everyday, and while she did really well (in the mid 90s), there were still others, such as the dux of our school (99.65) who barely studied at all, but still did something, and that was good enough for her. Same person mz_purfect was talking about on the first page, I think (you have to admit, though, starting at 1am is not exactly studying). It's not that people with natural ability don't study, it's just that they study differently. What might take a few weeks for someone to fully understand and learn might just take another a night.
i agree with you. Everyone has different ways and styles of studying. Some people study at night and some people study during the day. Some people can get things fast while for some it takes time. However, you missed the point of my prev. post. I didn't say that that girl is NOT naturally smart. For that I've no doubt. But I still don't beleive that anyone could excel without studying AT ALL. I have another friend who got 99.95 in his HSC and he admits that he studied hard. His natural abilities are also pretty obvious. Hence, it is both (natural abilites + hard work) that gets you the marks. But I dont know why some like to hide their diligence and their hard work.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
may be they are humble :).

I get good marks but if i start bragging about the hard work all the time then wudnt it be too stupid filled with superiority complex?

Also probably such people dont want to humiliate those around them.

Some people do say that to stop their peers working as hard as them.

ramin_87

At the end of the day, how can you answer a test paper without studying at all. Think about it no one actually has the natural ability to re-write something in an exam without actually reading it. How can someone answer an english essay if they don't know about the book, poem or play. Obviously to know about the book, they must have read it and made notes on it, which equates to studying. So, in reality most people study, especially those that get high uai's, otherwise they couldn't get these high uai's. All the natural ability in the world couldn't get a high uai or answer the whole of a hsc exam. So what exactly is natural ability and can it really compensate for a lack of hard work. Think about it!

ramin_87

So all those people who get reasonable uai's have actually studied, despite what they say. GOD bless you all !

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I think doing homework should be thought of as studying.

Therefore true, you can't do a test paper without studying.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
mz_purfect said:
well de dux of my skool (99.65) always told me that she NEVER studies. So i assumed dat her avg 100% marks were cuz of her talent. Wrong. Her best friend later told me that she gets up @ 1am evry nite and studies de entire nite.

my point: hard work as well as some natural ability gets u the marks.
i hate it when people say that

i think it's both. i thinik the very high uais (99.50+) have a lot to do with natural ability and the mid 90s have to do with studying as well. in general. most of the people i know who got over 99 studied a lot but they also had amazing ability which *seemed* effortless.

jang

is not my real name
HSC
zenger69 said:
I got really good marks (came 6th) for a 3U Maths test without studying because i had an english speech to prepare. But I did my homework really thoroughly when we went through the subject.
homework is study. wat u didnt do is cram.
neways.... i tihnk its not about how much u study, but how well u study. watever that means

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Perhaps said:

I dunno, people study in different ways and so it's a sort of combination of both natural ability and 'hard work'. There was a girl (well a few, but one in particular) at my school who studied like crazy. As in, 9am to midnight nearly everyday, and while she did really well (in the mid 90s), there were still others, such as the dux of our school (99.65) who barely studied at all, but still did something, and that was good enough for her. Same person mz_purfect was talking about on the first page, I think (you have to admit, though, starting at 1am is not exactly studying). It's not that people with natural ability don't study, it's just that they study differently. What might take a few weeks for someone to fully understand and learn might just take another a night. That's what it was like for me. Hell, I had given up on the HSC before the Trials came around, 2 of my major works were done in two days and the other in five, just before they were due, studied only for exams the night before/morning of, and still managed a really f'ckin' surprising 98.10.

So yeah, it's a mixture of both. Besides, the scaling system's crap anyway and is in no way indicitive of people's real intelligence, in my opinion. Especially UAIs below 95 when it depends so much more on how everyone else did.

But I'm rambling now. *stops herself*
I think some people have the natural ability to just study more efficiently. I mean, I might sit at the desk for around 2 hours, but bludge around for half and hour or so. Others might spend the whole time studying, because they can concetrate more intensly for longer. So they probably study for the same amount, just quicker.

lil_star said:
may be they are humble .

I get good marks but if i start bragging about the hard work all the time then wudnt it be too stupid filled with superiority complex?

Also probably such people dont want to humiliate those around them.

Some people do say that to stop their peers working as hard as them.
More arrogant to pretend that you are so superior that you don't HAVE to study. :p

ChrisE

HSC
if someone who got 99 said that they studied their arse off all year and someone else who got 99 said they didnt study, i would have more respect for the hard worker because working hard during the hsc is character building. it teaches you how to apply yourself and to sacrifice. if i was an employer, id want a hard worker on my team anyday and not some genius who does jack all. you need to learn the value of hard work because life will mess you up otherwise.

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
The HSC isn't a measure of how intellegent you are. I guess it helps if youre intellegent but who cares really? We're all just human beings trying to navigate our way through life without things getting to shitty.

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
a mate of mine is really bright. like a naturally smart guy. but he also studied his arse off. he changed his sleeping patterns so that at night he would study and by day sleep, cause at night there was less distractions. he got 99.4.

i also noe a guy who studied like a crazy person but he wasnt smart on his own, and he got in the 80s. not saying he ddint do wel, but the effort he put in didnt seem a tru reflection on his uai.

so i think u need natural ability and the will 2 study hard 2 go really well. if ppl say they ddint study much they r probably bullshitting u

firehose

HSC
I guess the "formula for success" is not for hardwork vs. natural ability but for the two to work together... i guess if u have more of the latter then there might be the tendency to slack off, but work will always be necessary too (esp. for analytical subjects - math, chem, phys, etc.). in my case, i naturally find economics and geography easy, and although i study least for it, i seem to consistently perform best in it, and get excellent ranks. chem, on the other hand, i have to work harder to understand concepts well, and im sure everyone knows that u have to work and practice to excel in maths. as for english, i find that a bit erratic... bit dodgy how it often depends on opinion

everyone know that the dux in our year (we're '05ers) is an EXTREMELY hard worker- study is his life.. and it shows, coz a few years ago he was never that good (he didnt even arrive in year 7 either). meanwhile, others who prob have a better 'ability' than him never achieve such good results because they dont have the motivation to put the hard work in. so u need a few elements of both to succeed i guess. i sincerely hope that my level of intensity in the former increases soon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)