hardwork vs. natural ability (1 Viewer)

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
i dont think soo. i think he is sayin that jst cos u get good grades doesnt mean u got them easy, and the 2 computers both can get the same results one just works harder....

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
beccaxx said:
i dont think soo. i think he is sayin that jst cos u get good grades doesnt mean u got them easy, and the 2 computers both can get the same results one just works harder....
Would you then say that the computer which puts in less work to perform a function is on the same level as the one which has to be overclocked? Just curious.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
KFunk said:
Would you then say that the computer which puts in less work to perform a function is on the same level as the one which has to be overclocked? Just curious.
Damn beccaxx, are u seriously deluded, of course the "computer" which isnt worked that hard is smarter

lala2

Banned
HSC
nicomed, thank you...guys, we're all the same, just different computers...at this rate, the top of the State are Windows XPs with flat screens and comfy keyboards...

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
They're just as good, I swear!

Ok, I'm sorry... I'll let up. You just opened yourself up, you know?

nicomed

hello, wat im basically saying is every individual has natural ability, we were all born with it. BUt knowledge was never born with us.It all depends on our different natural abilities or our type of intelligence that gives us the capacity to absorb knowledge that is handed to us. Every individual is born with usually a combination of types of intelligence which allow him/her to learn things that are handed to him/her or from other forms of learning stimuli. the one's you consider "smart" in your class are either logical-mathematically intelligent and linguistic. These people learn differently from people who have bodily kinesthic intelligence. But usually individuals have a combination of these. Here are the 7 types of intelligence according to Psychologst Howard Gardner:

1. Linguistic
Children with this kind of intelligence enjoy writing, reading, telling stories or doing crossword puzzles.

2. Logical-Mathematical
Children with lots of logical intelligence are interested in patterns, categories and relationships. They are drawn to arithmetic problems, strategy games and experiments.

3. Bodily-Kinesthetic
These kids process knowledge through bodily sensations. They are often athletic, dancers or good at crafts such as sewing or woodworking.

4. Spatial
These children think in images and pictures. They may be fascinated with mazes or jigsaw puzzles, or spend free time drawing, building with Leggos or daydreaming.

5. Musical
Musical children are always singing or drumming to themselves. They are usually quite aware of sounds others may miss. These kids are often discriminating listeners.

6. Interpersonal
Children who are leaders among their peers, who are good at communicating and who seem to understand others' feelings and motives possess interpersonal intelligence.

7. Intrapersonal
These children may be shy. They are very aware of their own feelings and are self-motivated.

I firmly believe this because no individual is above another in terms of intelligence, its just that we, as individuals learn or process knowledge differently from one another. Sometimes you might feel jealous or consider the "smart one in your class lucky for being so good in academics w/out much effort", true they are smart, because the type of intelligence they have works to their advanatage. If you on the other hand learn differently, why would you try to imitate your "smart classmate", when you yourself can process knowledge just as good as him/her but in a different way? This goes for the comparison with the 2 computers, people intake knowledge at different speeds depending on what method suites them to retain this information in their heads, some take longer, some really quick, and some need it learnt repetively so that this information can be stored and easily recalled from memory. In the end no one is "smarter than the other" for each person will intake this knowledge just in different methods.
I think this discussion should be "making your natural ability work for you for a higher UAI" rather than "natural ability vs hard work". BTW the people i consider "smart/talented/gifted" are those child prodigies who are stiill reaching their pubescent years, yet are in uni or doing works that require the precision of a person whos been in his profession for more than a decade.

Sentient_667

HSC
I think the two skills are coefficient of each other. The more natural ability you have, the less you need to study. The less natural ability you have, the more you need to study/work hard. But then there's motivation and interest.

If you're motivated to do a certain subject, that helps a lot too, and of course, you're going to get a better mark than if you werent interested in said subject.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Hardwork will always do better.

vTr

HSC
i feel sorry for people with dyslexia etc.... they gota studdy like 400 times as hard

mossup

can you do the mossup?
cloud eight & nine tenths. Yes its frustrating
HSC
esp_d said:
hay, i was jus wondering if it was possible to get a uai over 90 or 95 by just hardwork or by ur natural ability, as in if ur naturally brainy. i kno some1 tht is an eg. of that and she didnt even study that hard but got a uai of 98 and som1 that worked reallLY hard and got a uai of 96.45....
wt do u guys think, which of those- hardwork or natural ability do u need to get a really good uai???

my friends got a uai of 95 and he didn't study at all. He practically bludged all year, so i woul say that it was deffinately natural ability that got him through it!

mind you he was doin 4 unit maths.

ball_of_anger

HSC
if you have the natural ability(and believe me i don't, but see a bunch of ppl that do) and don't put in the effort, your just letting yourself down. You need to do the work to get the rewards

chocaholiic

HSC
consistence

a combination of Effort and Ability will get you far. But just coz u have heaps of ability doesnt mean u shouldnt put the effort in. CONSISTANCE is the key!

Sentient_667

HSC
That must mean I'm burning myself out. I bummed all the way through year 10, and got 4 B5 and 1 B4 result, but if I'd actually worked, I probably would have gotten B6 in everything. Poor me.

But I'm actually working this year, without doing much else. My entire day consists of working at school (including recess and lunch) and at least 3 hours in the afternoon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)