Harry Gibbs Constitutional Moot (1 Viewer)

BillytheFIsh

HSC
Well... after the organisers only identifying teams by numbers and deciding to give us our opponent's submissions only on the night before, (20 pages a-piece - we're going to have a fun Thursday night), I've finally managed to work out who we're up against in the general rounds this weekend.

They are:

Rd 1: VU
Rd 2: Edith Cowan
Rd 3: Newcastle
Rd 4: Macquarie

Does anyone know who the members are of any of these teams? (obvioulsy not EC or probably newcastle) What's their mooting experience like?

It's good that we're not against UQ in the general rounds, as it's our plan to hopefully beat them in the grand final in front of Kirby. Ahh revenge for the semi-final last year will be sweet.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
dude, i'm gonna hijack your thread a bit ;)

The 2005 LexisNexis Constitutional Law Mooting competition will be held at the University of Canberra.

Kirbz has already been secured to Judge the Grand Final which will be taking place at the High Court of Australia. Additional Grand Final Judges may also be appointed to this competition and information representing this will be provided to the registering teams.

rules of competition
registration

ohhh and g'luck to Simon and Gabriel for Harry Gibbs moot! :D

BillytheFIsh

HSC
They the UNSW team?

We actually faced UNSW last year in the general rounds and I rekon they were the best team we mooted against. Somehow they ended up finishing pretty low down though which shows some of it can be a bit arbitrary.

Hasn't the Lexisnexis one already happened? The dates say soemthing about 26-27 of Sep.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
ya they the nu-south team. i fink.

oh er. you're right. oops. mea culpa.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm not too fond of constitutional moots; if only there were some more areas offered for national competitions - like tort/criminal/property, etc.

I suppose with constitutional mooting comps they avoid jurisdiction issues though

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
I'm not too fond of constitutional moots
add to the fact that it is taught in 2nd year at UTS, and 4th at UNSW, it precludes some students from applying :p

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
BillytheFIsh said:
What? You go through 3+ years of your law degree before learning about our primary law? Gese... that seems a bit silly. It's not as though it's that conceptually difficult at an under-grad level that you need that long to be prepared for the material.
Um, no we do Constitutional law in 2nd year in the form of Public Law.

However we do it again (in far more depth and detail) in Federal Constitutional Law, in 4th Year.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
BillytheFIsh said:
Constitutional law is fun! [yes, I'm a sick, sick man]
Well I love virtually all fields of law (tax not included), but in terms of what I prefer for mooting, it's not up on the top of my list. Perhaps because I have not had the advantage of doing FedCon yet, only Public.
BillytheFIsh said:
Crim moots are hard to do because the appeals generally don't lend themselves to appropriate moot questions. Maybe look into witness exam if this is your interest.
My interest is primarly in contract, property and negligence disputes. But I will certainly be doing witness examination next year.

BillytheFIsh

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I'm not too fond of constitutional moots; if only there were some more areas offered for national competitions - like tort/criminal/property, etc.

I suppose with constitutional mooting comps they avoid jurisdiction issues though
Constitutional law is fun! [yes, I'm a sick, sick man]

There is a national torts moot - the Shine Roach McGowan. which is run in the middle of the year.

Other than that the ALSA general mooting comp has questions on a broad range of areas.

Crim moots are hard to do because the appeals generally don't lend themselves to appropriate moot questions. Maybe look into witness exam if this is your interest.

Although I guess you can have legal argument on a point of law reserved for the Court of Appeal as a question for a crim law moot. Haven't really thought about it before.

BillytheFIsh

HSC
Frigid said:
add to the fact that it is taught in 2nd year at UTS, and 4th at UNSW, it precludes some students from applying :p
What? You go through 3+ years of your law degree before learning about our primary law? Gese... that seems a bit silly. It's not as though it's that conceptually difficult at an under-grad level that you need that long to be prepared for the material.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
BillytheFIsh said:
'Public law' is taught in 2nd year which is essentially constitutional law low fat variety. 'Federal constitutional' is taught in 4th year.

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
At UOW we have Public Law A and Public Law B; Public Law A is Administrative Law and Public Law B is Federal Constitutional Law....I never understood why the don't just name them as such....

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Interestingly, I am also a member of the UNSW team for this competition. :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Lazarus said:
Interestingly, I am also a member of the UNSW team for this competition. :)
If you end up in the High Court I will be so jealous

But I'm in the semis for junior so I might get to the Supreme Court at least!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
have fun and good luck lawboys and girls!?! remember to get an autograph of kirbz for me yeah!?

and james, si vous plait, stop putting neg on at the same time as wit-ex - everybody's abandoning my competition for yours :(

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
BOS meet up = BOS meat*-up

* Meat as in phallis, implies homosexual intercourse.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Gavrillo said:
* Meat as in phallis, implies homosexual intercourse.
i only moot with protection*.

* - namely, authority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)