harry potter as a sup txt 4 imaginative journey? (1 Viewer)

aka_bomber

HSC
yea i was just thinking of doing harry potter and the philosophers stone...first movie as a supp text for imaginative journey except i dont know where to begin...like what would i talk about? techniques and stuff in the movie and how its imaginative or things like magic and stuff? i'm not sure how to start of with it and need some help, oh and has anyone else used this? it'd be great if i could get some ideas..thx

aka_bomber

HSC
oh and im also doing "starry starry night" the painting by vincent van gogh, any ideas about about that would be great help

kaylz

HSC
Get real. If I were a marker and I saw some kid had written about Harry Potter I'd be like "this one's getting a band 2"... If you're going to do it then make sure it's really, really, really good, otherwise you've written yourself off completely as an idiot harry fan unable to choose a more appropriate text. It can be appropriate, but sssooooooo many people use it. Be very careful. Btw how can you not already have decided?

aka_bomber

HSC
its common? so there u go..heaps of people are doing it and you cant just mark it a band 2 haha anyway at first i did lion king last term..but i didnt have enough time 2 write about it and it stuffed up yea...would u like to suggest another then?

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
you could use it and get good marks, but you wold have to work your ass off, like seriously, you will need to know the movie inside and out, and the techniques it uses to convey the idea of imaginative journey....

kaylz

HSC
aka_bomber said:
its common? so there u go..heaps of people are doing it and you cant just mark it a band 2 haha anyway at first i did lion king last term..but i didnt have enough time 2 write about it and it stuffed up yea...would u like to suggest another then?
Yeah it's common. And the text you choose gives the marker an immediate impression of your credibility as a candidate. So either do Harry Potter REALLY REALLY WELL, or pick something with a little more cred. I'm using The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan. I doubt that anyone else will be using it. It's a well recognised text, but obscure enough to make it stand out.

kaylz

HSC
Exactly! The whole point of advanced english is to establish yourself as a sophisticated individual.

hipPo3

HSC
Argonaut said:
Plus, everyone thinks of Harry straght away. It's one of the most common ORTs used, so if you do go ahead with it, you'll have to pull off something brilliant to get good marks.
hehe .. in my school everyone thought of Lord of the Rings immediately ..
and how come ur thinking of this now ? .. we have trials in less than a week. U should ov picked something already.

For me, i picked Halo and The Silmarillion, try n pick something that noone else would get, and since most teachers are old bats (no offence to any of them) they rely on u to give a sophistimicated profile so they wouldnt have to know it; like Kylz said, it shows ur credit as a student. Harry potter was written by a simpleton, she uses old myths and appropiates them.. plus its written to lil kiddes, so dont pick that series.

If i where u, i'd use something more modern with uses of technology, like a ps2 game or something. U'd never realise that games are the best for imaginative journey, some of em provide an amazing storyline and they all are different versions of someother story.

crazyfrog

HSC
i'd have to agree with most people here. wouldn't touch HP with a ten foot pole as a related text, not only is it not very sophisticated, it's also not very imaginative... and althoguh i might get caned for this, HP is barely a fantasy book, its just teen drama with magic thrown in here and there. So if you must use a book, use Alice in Wonderland or something, its a bit more sophisticated.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Eh, I used Terry Pratchett novels as a supplementary text for journeys.
Comepletely alternate multiverse of course, but it worked out pretty well.
But I would definately agree with the majoritory here, don't use it unless you can do a really REALLY good job with it. So I would suggest not, use something less popular, or with more substance to analyse.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
kaylz said:
Get real. If I were a marker and I saw some kid had written about Harry Potter I'd be like "this one's getting a band 2"... If you're going to do it then make sure it's really, really, really good, otherwise you've written yourself off completely as an idiot harry fan unable to choose a more appropriate text. It can be appropriate, but sssooooooo many people use it. Be very careful. Btw how can you not already have decided?
omg my teacher used the same phrase...ten foot pole...somebody used a delta goodrem song (I KNOW, how could you use a delta goodrem song?) when she was marking it and she failed it...haha

harry potter rips things off everywhere. none of the names are original, the plot sucks. it's pulp fiction. don't use it, don't use it it's superficial. someone else said plenty of good texts, why do you have to use hp? and I;d be against the lion king too because I think it was mentioned in the markers comments as being an uh uh.

hipPo3

HSC
lol .. lion king..
or how bout animorphs .. BAhHAhHA

seriously .. do one of the J.R.R tolien books .. quite the intense.
The silmarillion is good... apparently the only thing i forgot in my portfolio was relating it to coleridge. Did any of u peeps have to relate ur imaginative texts on coleridge ? .. my teacher is s0o0o dopey, she leaves out all the important stuff that is a need to know .. >__<

buzz222

HSC
God!! how up yourselves are you people? a marker would not fail you for doing a text like hp, sure they would if you didnt say anything about it or have any idea what you were talking about. it wouldnt be that hard to make it really good, and whoever suggested Alice in Wonderland as a alternative if you think hp is bad thats worse! so many more people use it. leave the guy alone they had enough courage to ask for help and you rip into them. i am so sick of up themselves advanced english "candidates" who think they are so sophictated, maybe you shouldnt take everythng so seriously!

LostAuzzie

HSC
buzz222 said:
God!! how up yourselves are you people? a marker would not fail you for doing a text like hp, sure they would if you didnt say anything about it or have any idea what you were talking about. it wouldnt be that hard to make it really good, and whoever suggested Alice in Wonderland as a alternative if you think hp is bad thats worse! so many more people use it. leave the guy alone they had enough courage to ask for help and you rip into them. i am so sick of up themselves advanced english "candidates" who think they are so sophictated, maybe you shouldnt take everythng so seriously!
Id have to agree with you entirely. If you see a link in any text to your topic and can write enough on it then go with it. I'm using Lost as a related text purely for the flashbacks and the unrealistic settings.
Sure texts like HP and Alice in Wonderland are done by so many people making you competition greater, but if your more comfortable writing about it then your better off writing about it than some new book that you've read once, dont really understand, and are only writing about because it seems more sophisticated.
In the long run you wont sound sophisticated enough, you will look like you have no idea what you are talking about and the marker will not pay you for it.

Also I highly doubt a marker would read an essay and give it the mark purely based on what text they write about because in that case you could write all the wrong information and get full marks because uve used a 'sophisticated' text.
The markers are supposed to try and give you as many marks as they can which, if you write a decent enough response on WHATEVER text you use, will be high. This is what all my teachers have told me and id believe them over some uptight english elitist who thinks they're gods gift to the world and speaks like they know it all, what would you know anyway, have you marked for the HSC before, do you know someone else who has, most likely not.

You may think your helping but all your doing is degrading those who are asking for the advice and making them question their ability to pass the HSC.

frenchpiment

quoting my fabulous english teacher:
use the texts you know you can write about well - that way even if alot of people use them, you know you ahve done a good job. dont just find some obscure text that no one has heard of so you are the only one doing it because probably the reason no one is doing it is because it is really hard...

Kyroth***

HSC
A few things have stood out to me here...

Firstly, buzz and Lost, WELL SAID!!!

Secondly, ignoring "everyone else does it", frankly I don't see anything wrong with Harry Potter as a text itself. Its a journey, its imaginative, there's a lot to talk about.

But I do think other people doing it is an issue, though not as huge as some people seem to think. Mainly because of quotes and etc, what you choose to include. A definate advatage though, is you need nothing about the plot, so you don't need to waste time thinking about how to cram it into half a sentence.

As a few other people have said, DO WHAT YOU KNOW. Seriously, you will write so much better for it. My example, in the half yerarlies for ext 1 crime fiction, was trying to find a supp text, and running out of time, and finally thinking 'stuff it, I'll do Magic Steps'. Magic Steps is a fantasy book about murder, not a crime fiction book. Its also one of my favourite books. I wasn't sure how well it would work, but, with very little preparation on it, that was the text I wrote best about, because I knew it. It was something I'd read previously and enjoyed, and knew a lot about, and it just came so easily. So yeah, write about SOMETHING YOU KNOW.

Sewwy

HSC
frenchpiment said:
quoting my fabulous english teacher:
use the texts you know you can write about well - that way even if alot of people use them, you know you ahve done a good job. dont just find some obscure text that no one has heard of so you are the only one doing it because probably the reason no one is doing it is because it is really hard...
Frenchpiment is exactly right. If you know a text well, such as Harry Potter, use it to your advantage. You're more likely to remember things you have an interest in than something that you have no idea about.

I suggest this: Rather than using the book as a whole, pick a passage of the book that reflects Imaginative Journeys. I would use the book, rather than the movie, because IMHO, the movie is crap.

And Philosopher's Stone is your best bet to find an imaginative Journey: Harry goes through many "Mind set changes" through it.

Good luck!

edit: Remember, the markers won't take off marks for your text unless you clearly don't understand your text and how it relates to Imaginative journeys, or your text is reflective of a journey other than imaginative. They'll also take marks off most likely for impropper grammar, and a lack of depth.

Last edited:

ally147

HSC
LostAuzzie said:
Id have to agree with you entirely. If you see a link in any text to your topic and can write enough on it then go with it. I'm using Lost as a related text purely for the flashbacks and the unrealistic settings.
Sure texts like HP and Alice in Wonderland are done by so many people making you competition greater, but if your more comfortable writing about it then your better off writing about it than some new book that you've read once, dont really understand, and are only writing about because it seems more sophisticated.
In the long run you wont sound sophisticated enough, you will look like you have no idea what you are talking about and the marker will not pay you for it.

Also I highly doubt a marker would read an essay and give it the mark purely based on what text they write about because in that case you could write all the wrong information and get full marks because uve used a 'sophisticated' text.
The markers are supposed to try and give you as many marks as they can which, if you write a decent enough response on WHATEVER text you use, will be high. This is what all my teachers have told me and id believe them over some uptight english elitist who thinks they're gods gift to the world and speaks like they know it all, what would you know anyway, have you marked for the HSC before, do you know someone else who has, most likely not.

You may think your helping but all your doing is degrading those who are asking for the advice and making them question their ability to pass the HSC.

I am going to have to agree here too... im my half yearlies i used HP, i did it because it was a text i could use well as i was familiar with it. A marker cannot deduct marks over a text, its the quality of the writing that they mark.

I have to say congratulations to the person who started this thread, it takes real guts, especially when people put down ur ego like everyone did.

Thumbs up.

Horry6

HSC
Im doing Harry Potter & the philosopher's stone & believe that it is an excellent text.

Our set text is Ender's Game & it is relatble in so many different ways.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
So many people on here are kind and helpful..
But some are just plain ignorant and nasty =)

But a few people have already said that, so no need to elaborate, lol.

I'm going FOM and LTB for Coleridge (apparently we have to make mention of Coleridge as a whole, because the actual 'prescribed text' for this english unit was Coleridge. We only have to write specifically about one or two, but have to mention the whole. Just thought I'd point that out, our teacher told us recently, but I actually had no idea). And for related I'm doing Alice in Wonderland (poo to whoever said it was crap; you write well, you get the marks, no matter what it's on), and Wizard of Oz.
I figured it's best to use related texts you know well and have good resources on.
And those two seemed to fit both criteria.
Yay =)

And good luck to everyone this year.

Half yearlies are in a week (late, I know).
Ahhhh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)