• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Harvard Referencing Question (1 Viewer)

Navjeet

>^..^<
HSC
How do I cite the reference in-text for the transcript of a speech which I have found on the internet? Do I use the title of the speech or the name of the speaker??

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
ahh im not at uni but we have to reference and footnote in ext hist. the harvard referencing sytem follows the bracket approach within the essay and u include all info which includes book title and author, in in this case, speech giver's name and name of speech. at least this is what my teacher saysthe harvard referencing system is

Navjeet

>^..^<
HSC
from what my tutor has told me, you are supposed to include the name of the author and the year of publication within the text, and then at the end include a reference list with the full details. what I dont understand is how to cite the reference for a speech....is it the same as if it were a book? and what if we sourced the transcript for that speech from a website?

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
just dont use harvard ...it sucks
some schools/unis actually require you to use a specific type of citingapproach.
eg. at UOW:
1. Commerce requires you to use the Harvard system
2. Law requires you to use the Australian Guide to Legal Citation..

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
harvard system is easier than number by number footnoting and annotating

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
some schools/unis actually require you to use a specific type of citingapproach.
eg. at UOW:
1. Commerce requires you to use the Harvard system
2. Law requires you to use the Australian Guide to Legal Citation..
yeah uts humanities faculty uses harvard as well

sugared plum

HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
oh gawd that just sucks...
harvard is more confusing than oxford...

thanfully unsw arts and usyd arts prefers hardvard...

probably cos our essays have too many references to use harvard

they prefer harvard?? i got this booklet from the arts faculty which says the Harvard system [otherwise called the social sciences referencing where you put the sources within brackets at the end of a sentence/clause eg (surname 2004: 94) ] is not preferred for citations, and they like MLA from the handbook. weird

sugared plum

HSC
Originally posted by Navjeet
How do I cite the reference in-text for the transcript of a speech which I have found on the internet? Do I use the title of the speech or the name of the speaker??
you should give the information if it is given. so your thingo is a speech, which, if it is taken from "A Professional or Personal Site" you write the name of the person who created it, reversed alphabetizing eg Smith, Jane. followed by a fullstop. Then the title of the site, underlined, the date of last update (if given), the name of organisation associated with the site, date of access and network address in < >

so,

Smith, Jane. <u> Aboriginal Australians. </u> 5 Nov. 1999. Department of Aboriginies. 3 April 2004. <http://dfjdkjd.com.au>

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Since it's an intext citation, use the author and the date
always use quotation marks

In reference to aboriginies, "blah blah blah" (Smith, 1999). This quote shows etc ...

santaslayer

HSC
there isnt really a huge difference i dont think.....maybe an extra italic here and there?

Navjeet

>^..^<
HSC
Originally posted by sugared plum
you should give the information if it is given. so your thingo is a speech, which, if it is taken from "A Professional or Personal Site" you write the name of the person who created it, reversed alphabetizing eg Smith, Jane. followed by a fullstop. Then the title of the site, underlined, the date of last update (if given), the name of organisation associated with the site, date of access and network address in < >

so,

Smith, Jane. <u> Aboriginal Australians. </u> 5 Nov. 1999. Department of Aboriginies. 3 April 2004. <http://dfjdkjd.com.au>
I understand what you're trying to say here, but it doesnt answer my question....this is how I would write it in my reference list, not in the text itself.

Originally posted by minai
Since it's an intext citation, use the author and the date
always use quotation marks

In reference to aboriginies, "blah blah blah" (Smith, 1999). This quote shows etc ...
So basically I should treat it as I would a book or journal? That makes sense....I just wish they had told us that!!

Thanks for all your help people :)

santaslayer

HSC
everyone.....what about footnotes......im confuzzled about the necessity of usin them?

Navjeet

>^..^<
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
everyone.....what about footnotes......im confuzzled about the necessity of usin them?
If you are using the harvard referencing style, you do not use footnotes at all. If you are asked to use footnotes in the referencing style you are using, then after any quote or idea you have sourced from a publication, you insert a footnote and write the source details in the footnote.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I understand what you're trying to say here, but it doesnt answer my question....this is how I would write it in my reference list, not in the text itself.

So basically I should treat it as I would a book or journal? That makes sense....I just wish they had told us that!!

Thanks for all your help people :)
Yes

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
minai im loving yr sig
lol
yeah CM_Tutor actually did law at USyd, so there's some first hand evidence to say that just cause it's old and hard to get into, its not the best

sugared plum

HSC

oh sorry i missed the bit where you said in-text

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Minai
lol
yeah CM_Tutor actually did law at USyd, so there's some first hand evidence to say that just cause it's old and hard to get into, its not the best
it ISNT the best. FULL STOP. :D UOW is! :p

HSC
N/A
If I'm using the same author's ideas for a few consecutive paragraphs do I have to reference at the end of each paragraph??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)