• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Harvard Referencing Question (2 Viewers)

santaslayer

HSC
nahhhhhhh......just the end.....i'd probably include a footnote as well, although harvard supposedly dosnt use footnotes

HSC
N/A
are you sure about that?
cause one lecturer said I need to reference after each paragraph....

Generator

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Navjeet
If you are using the harvard referencing style, you do not use footnotes at all. If you are asked to use footnotes in the referencing style you are using, then after any quote or idea you have sourced from a publication, you insert a footnote and write the source details in the footnote.

Ah, no...
Footnotes/Endnotes are commonly used as a means of adding that little point that does not really fit in with the actual essay/report. They are rarely used for this purpose in first year, or throughout an undergraduate degree, though.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by boredofschool
are you sure about that?

Ah, no...
Footnotes/Endnotes are commonly used as a means of adding that little point that does not really fit in with the actual essay/report. They are rarely used for this purpose in first year, or throughout an undergraduate degree, though.

HSC
N/A
wtf??
I didn't make that second quote!!
what point are you trying to make anyway??

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
are you sure about that?
If you are using harvard..and if you are paraphrasing/putting somone's ideas in your own words, you have to use intext citation still - at the end of the paragraph you paraphrased, u write the citiation, eg (Minai, 2004)

Generator

HSC
N/A
As stated by Minai (2004), you must use the Harvard system of intext citation at the end of each paragraph that you paraphrase.

Edit: Given that that is a very common idea, I do not think that I should have bothered with that reference :p.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I have another question....
What are the referencing rules for diect quotes??

For example, is it ok to incorporate a direct quote into my sentence.....

Minai stated that the correct way to reference is to "use intext citation still - at the end of the paragraph you paraphrased". His point was further emphasised by generator. Minai also said that ...paraphase....(Minai 2004)

or do I need to reference directly after the quote......

Minai stated that the correct way to reference is to "use intext citation still - at the end of the paragraph you paraphrased". (Minai 2004) His point was further emphasised by generator.
Minai also said that...paraphase.... (Minai 2004)

HSC
N/A
Why don't I just answer my own question...since no one else is :D

when direct quoting you need to reference straight after the quote, along with a page number....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I have another question....
What are the referencing rules for diect quotes??

For example, is it ok to incorporate a direct quote into my sentence.....

Minai stated that the correct way to reference is to "use intext citation still - at the end of the paragraph you paraphrased". His point was further emphasised by generator. Minai also said that ...paraphase....(Minai 2004)

or do I need to reference directly after the quote......

Minai stated that the correct way to reference is to "use intext citation still - at the end of the paragraph you paraphrased". (Minai 2004) His point was further emphasised by generator.
Minai also said that...paraphase.... (Minai 2004)
Why don't I just answer my own question...since no one else is :D

when direct quoting you need to reference straight after the quote, along with a page number....
yes thats right,
it would go something like this:

Minai (2004, p.2) stated that the correct way to reference is to "use intext citation still - at the end of the paragraph you paraphrased". His point was further emphasised by generator. Minai also said that ...paraphase....(Minai 2004)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)