^.^ HaRwOoD ^.^ Help!! (1 Viewer)

DrEaM_mUi

Hey!!.
Just wondering...
if you're doing Harwood...can you please post some ideas on analysing it please...
eg...feminism, the shadow, psychoanalytical, etc...
i don't noe where to start it!!!!

fruitbonbon17

"prize giving" has a lot about feminism that you could talk about
look at the way that eisenbart is described, the implications of a "girl's school" and his attitude towards it. remember that the poem was written pre-70s and that it doesn't really have a "feminist" influence as such though

glass jar you can talk psychoanalytical with the freudian oedipus complex and such with the dreams etc.

there are also lots of religious references in the poems which you could make mention of as well. you should also proobably read up a bit about harwood herself if you haven't already and look for autobiographical influences

but i think that you really have to develop your own opinion of the poetry as well and not just rattle of the different theories that can be applied to the poetry

clerisy

HSC
What's "the shadow"?

I think fruitbonbon has given some pretty good pointers as to where to start. You can get psychoanalytical and cultural (ie ones reflecting/challenging 'the world outside the text' eg feminism, marxism, historicism) readings out of most of her poems, and a lot of them also have religious issues you can discuss too. I don't know about what fruitbonbon said about not being particularly feminist-influenced though-- I mightn't call Harwood a 'feminist' per se, but she definitely had a strong interest in gender issues and that's reflected in most of her poems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)