• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Has any one changed subjects for HSC? (1 Viewer)

crispy13

HSC
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has changed subjects and the end of the prelim course and taken up a new one for HSC?

[Damo]

HSC
i just dropped a subject, physics, i guess you can pik up a new subject since its new work

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
actualli i dont think u can pick up another subject for ur HSC course, unless ur skool approves it for u need to know the basics of the prelim course for they add up in the HSC course. thats what my teacher told meee ..

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
You cant pick up a whole new subject at the end of year 11, unless your school is willing to lie for you.

Last edited:

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
You can, however, pick up History Extension, English Extension 2, and Maths Extension 2, which are HSC-only courses.

I'm dropping English Extension 1 for Maths Extension 2.

I_F

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
drewgcn said:
You cant pick up a whole new subject at the end of year 11, unless your school is willing to lie for you.
Not exactly, i'm pretty sure that you can't do extension maths if you haven't done it in prelim... nor any other subject if u haven't done it in prelim. It's a "pre-requisite" or something like that...

obviously you can pick up extension 2 classes though.

EDIT: ooops, i read "can" instead of "cant"

blargh... stupid eyes

YBK

HSC
insert-username said:
You can, however, pick up History Extension, English Extension 2, and Maths Extension 2, which are HSC-only courses.

I_F
haha, same

CalypsoSunset

HSC
At my school we are only allowed to pick up extension courses, 1U photography, Sport, lifestyle and recreation, and senior science if you did a science subject in year 11.

[Damo]

HSC
YBK said:
Not exactly, i'm pretty sure that you can't do extension maths if you haven't done it in prelim... nor any other subject if u haven't done it in prelim. It's a "pre-requisite" or something like that...

blargh... stupid eyes
At my skool, one is able to pik up Ext1 maths since in year 11 we do not do extension topics just complete the 2U course, then start with 3U work at the start of yr 12.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
insert-username said:

I_F
same same. =P

HSC
anyone doing SDD, consider dropping SDD unless you got a great teacher

YBK

HSC
[Damo] said:
At my skool, one is able to pik up Ext1 maths since in year 11 we do not do extension topics just complete the 2U course, then start with 3U work at the start of yr 12.
serious?

woah! That's weird... we do both 2 unit and 3 unit.

What about the people who don't want to do extension? There wouldn't be any work for them since the 2 unit course was studied in yr 11.....

[Damo]

HSC
YBK said:
serious?

woah! That's weird... we do both 2 unit and 3 unit.

What about the people who don't want to do extension? There wouldn't be any work for them since the 2 unit course was studied in yr 11.....
There are yr11 2U and 3U classes. The 3U class is almost like the accelerated yr11 class which does the HSC this year. The 2U go at the normal speed, completing the course by the trial. however, the 3U classes finish the course at the end of this term and begin 3U work.

P

pLuvia

you can't pick up a new subject unless you have finished the preliminary course, or are willing to do through tafe in year 12 which is a real pain

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
anyone doing SDD, consider dropping SDD unless you got a great teacher

true that im droppin SDD wunce i start muh hsc course next term ... i fckn hate it, n i kno someone in yr12 who envys me for he wanted to do it for their hsc lol ..

HSC
you have to start working hard from square zero, alot of skills involved (that make up a good chunk of the exam) are accumulated and hard to learn very soon (ie. over 2 hours like im trying to do), sure you can do it, but so much easier if you do it over time

klaw

HSC
YBK said:

blargh... stupid eyes
hmm... I'm pretty sure that ppl can drop 2U and do general maths in HSC at our school...

A l

HSC
N/A
[Damo] said:
That's what they do at Sydney Boys High School. Do you by any chance attend that school?

klaw

HSC
[Damo] said:
imo, I reckon that's better... the 3U prelim course is harder than the 2U HSC course... However, once you do start understanding 3U, it does help with your 2U

nwatts

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
true that im droppin SDD wunce i start muh hsc course next term ... i fckn hate it, n i kno someone in yr12 who envys me for he wanted to do it for their hsc lol ..
I dropped SDD after year 11. The course was alright, but doing it by distance education sucked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)