• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

has anyone done architecture for their isp (1 Viewer)

juggernaut

HSC
Yeh i did
choose ur focus first from the syllabus.. then construct ur question using that as a foundation
for eg, if u chose C, u could choose a building and say how the architecture expresses something religious such as beliefs

yeh thats pretty much the start

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Pick a place that you can visit so you can talk to the "owners" (for want of a broad description) and the designers.
The ISP is about higher order thinking and analysis so be careful as the architecture topic has the habit of becoming pure description. Focus on the "why" and even the "how" but leave the "what" in your diary or add it as an appendix to your report.

juggernaut

HSC
yeh.. i chose st marys cathedral so i went and introduced myself to the archivist and had a chat with him... was so valuable

juggernaut

HSC
yeh.. i was going to.. was tricky tho.. and hard to find solid info

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
i did architecture and how it displays and enchances the religious beliefs of worshipers... With architeture you dont have to look at teh structure as such - you can look at the meaning behind it etc

I_love_amanda

With architecture I'm thinking of looking at ancient times and how religion affected the way bulidings were built. Does anyone have any info on this or knows where i can start with it?

suz

HSC
I did something on the lines of how the renaissance beliefs, values and ideas influenced the Italian style of architecture in the Milan Dome *I think*

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by I_love_amanda
With architecture I'm thinking of looking at ancient times and how religion affected the way bulidings were built. Does anyone have any info on this or knows where i can start with it?
the syallbus implies that it should be from an Australian perspective so you might want to doublecheck this first plus your religions really should be from the big five (Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, Christianity and Hinduism) as this is the definition of religion according to the Board ie its in the syllabus and all the texts and most importantly, they define religious tradition (the correct term) at the top of q13 onwards in the HSC for the Cross Depth studies so ancient religion "technically" doesnt count. Maybe you could look at a particular "ancient" style and how it has been used in a "modern" context??
Maybe Buddhism or Hinduism may fit into your "timeframe" but if I was your teacher, I wouldnt let it through as it doesnt match the syllabus guidelines!

Architecture is best done on something you can visit and where you can talk to the particular people responsible for designing, building etc as you can get an idea of the real religious purpose and significance (as per the syllabus points). Youre at Wollongong so Nan Tien is the best option.. bit overdone but you could do some great analysis and the monks are really helpful
Hope this is food for thought (which you can put in your diary/journal!)

Last edited:

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Originally posted by MissSavage29
i did architecture and how it displays and enchances the religious beliefs of worshipers... With architeture you dont have to look at teh structure as such - you can look at the meaning behind it etc
I did the pyramids for mine - they're pretty ancient :)
i didn't look at the structure at all, actually a little was but - it was mainly on how they were an expression of belief - how little bits were done and the meaning of certain tunnels etc.

But as Snapperhead said you need to mention one of the 5 major religions - so to do this with an ancient thing you either need to pick soemthign that revoles around this or compare/contrast it with something that invovles one of these religons

lilone

I been looking at doing the Ka'bah but I don't know where to start - like ima b doing religious expression through o becuz of the Ka'bah - n.e.1 no where i can get information frm?

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Originally posted by lilone2
I been looking at doing the Ka'bah but I don't know where to start - like ima b doing religious expression through o becuz of the Ka'bah - n.e.1 no where i can get information frm?
i did that same idea as part of my project... i think if you look at the pillar that deels with the thing.... gee i cant think of it... oh the pilgramage to the Kab'ah there is some information there. if ur stuck pm me and i'll find my log book and might have some sources 4 u

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
try the BBC website- they have good Islamic resources + there is a virtual walk through of the Ka'bah online (I think)- Looked at it ages ago and was really impressed.
Google should reveal heaps of stuff...........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)