Has anyone done LNGS 1002? (1 Viewer)

cutie_pie01

HSC
Hi,

Has anyone done/is doing LNGS 1002? I haven't done the first unit and am finding that I don't understand some of the symbols, terms etc that are being used and am not sure if I can pick it up soon.

Is it possible to do well in this course without having done LNGS1001, or would I be better off withdrawing the unit and making it up through summer school/overloading instead?

HSC
Well I can't actually say, but I think it would really help if you did LNGS1001. I did it last semester and we learnt a lot about phonetic symbols, plus phonology, morphology and syntax. It's up to you though. I don't do LNGS1002 but I'm sure some of the content taught in the course assumes knowledge from LNGS1001. I'll go ask my friend about it.

EDIT: It does assume a lot of the knowledge in LNGS1001.

cutie_pie01

HSC
Thanks for the reply. the first few lectures were quite deceptive and I thought I got it...that was until I went to the tute and they started using all these technical terms and symbols...

Sutpid linguistics department - they actually told me its ok if I didn't do the first course.

HSC
Yes I found that even last semester! But phonetics and all the symbols that come with it, is pretty easy to learn once you get the hang of it. Good luck with your decision!

EDIT: Do you have Hilario as your tutor? Kooky fellow isn't he?

cutie_pie01

HSC
No, I have Eric Smith - the canadian guy. He seems pretty nice.

Do you think it's possible to learn the phoenitics etc from the textbook (I've got the 5th edition of an introduction to language, that's the right one isn't it?)

HSC
Yes that's right, the 5th edition of 'An Introduction to Language'. Yes I do think it's possible to learn phonetics using the book. The inside of the front cover will be your best friend. It gives you examples of words with the sound in it, so you don't need the lecturer to say it out loud to you. Also if you go to the IPA website, that might help too. If you want I could pass you the readings we did in 1st semester, so you know what we learnt in LNGS1001.

I don't really know Eric Smith. Last semester the tutors were Hilario and Tom.

Last edited:

cutie_pie01

HSC
Hi,

Thanks for the advice :). A copy of the LNGS1001 outline/readings would be great. What is the URL for the IPA website?

I've decided to maybe stick with it for another week or so and see how it goes...If only I didn't find out the last day to add a unit was friday..on saturday *sigh*.

HSC
Unfortunately, I only have a hard copy of the LNGS syllabus. As for the IPA chart thingie here it is.

DeepDarkRose

HSC
My friend did 1002 last year without having done 1001 and not only managed fine, but really liked the course, so it's possible to survive :)

HSC
I liked phonetics. As for phonology, morphology and syntax...everything went downhill from there. Semantics was good though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)