Has anyone here gotten a Band 6 for History or Legal by memorising essays in HSC? (1 Viewer)

Jay-k-bee1

HSC
I did Legal Studies here. I never ever memorized a single essay. I wrote them all off scratch. For content based subjects like Modern History and Legal Studies, memorizing essays ain't going to do you any good (unless if you're lucky on the day), because the content that you memorize may be completely different to what is being asked on the question in the exam paper.

IMO, just practice a few essays and write notes. It's seriously not that hard, not as bad as English either, given that they don't mark so harshly on the vocab and grammar side of things.
want to upload legal notes in the resources section? :3 ;please? *_*

loaves

HSC
Memorised my options essays for legal and got 96. That being said, I did have a thorough knowledge of the topics and would have been able to twist my master essay to fit any question. I would never have just regurgitated it word for word.
Definitely wouldn't memorise anything for the crime mini-essay, it's too broad.

It's impossible to memorise essays for modern - as cem said, you would need at least 40 essays. Some people memorised brief essay plans for possible questions, or made mind maps of syllabus points showing how they would link each topic.

enoilgam

HSC
Memorised my options essays for legal and got 96. That being said, I did have a thorough knowledge of the topics and would have been able to twist my master essay to fit any question. I would never have just regurgitated it word for word.

It's impossible to memorise essays for modern - as cem said, you would need at least 40 essays. Some people memorised brief essay plans for possible questions, or made mind maps of syllabus points showing how they would link each topic.
I think that "memorising" in this sense means more memorising an essay word for word. For legal, I pretty much always brought in the same issues in my essays and I had said pretty much the same things for them. Thats not really memorising though, thats more or less a semi-prepared, structured method of approaching the question. Something like that is fine for legal (but NOT modern).

mannxv

HSC

hi ! could you please give some tips for legal and the option essays. i find memorising v good, as exam conditions undermine my quality of writing. but i do understand the essay needs to be broad, to be "twisted" to one of the two questions. and yes, it's a given you cant memorise for crime as they may throw a curve ball.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)