• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Has anyone started their own business? (1 Viewer)

alman

I own and run an investment company for the last 3.5 years but am thinking about setting up an online shop/store and seeing how that goes...I just need to find my suppliers and all is set

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
What type of investments alman ?
Got a company website ?

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
My sister and I have started talking about establishing our own business.
Basically, a frnachise is the first option because the success rate is much higher than that of other businesses. Also, you recieve all the support and equipment from the franchisor and the business name is well-known.
However, the only problem with this is none of us want to quit our job during the first few years of business in case the business doesn't work out and we are left unemployed. However, you can't be in a full-time job if you establish a business because you need to be there everyday.

frazzle

HSC
AsyLum said:
well i kinda run a freelancing graphic/web design company
nice =) what do you do? i want to start a little graphic design company after year 12. how is that going for you?

YAA was heaps of fun... except for all the technical stuff about the money etc. i won't be going anywhere near accounting that's for sure!

olay

HSC
hey guys, my sis said she'd give me $1000 to start something up... which is not much, but something!!! anyone have any suggestions???

T

timbk2

I've got my own webdesiging business. oh and boredofStudies.

looking to get into other initiatives in the near future.

The amount of money you need depends on the type of busines you want to undertake.
Its alot of work keeping track of your accounts and taxes that relate to business' and companies

olay

HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
you need money to make money.
correct. i shall have $1000, it's the method of making money out of that ltd money i'm stuck at right now. i was thinking of designing my own shirts and manufacturing them... reckon it could work on $1000???

frazzle

HSC
Crikket said:
how do you get into the YAA?
YAA is for yr 11 students, ask your school. or if you're already in Uni, they have them for uni people too. I don't know much about that, but ask around.

jayz

walking
YAA is even avaliable for uni students, i am sure u'd be able to be part of YAA in yr12, although many schools dunt encourage this bcoz of the more important HSC.

it seems everyone is so optimistic abt business...trust me most of the time it ain't better than working in KFC. i dunt own a business, i dunt have a deg in business, i dunt even hav enough capital to start a bus, but i noe for a fact that starting a bus. ain't an easy thing and unless u r well informed in the industry of your choice, it very unlikely that u will survive the first financial yr. nevatheless, u will never get any where working for your boss, so i guess u'd still need to start workn for ur self some time in ur life.

a person i noe has a small tut agency with a few p2p contractors, it is very low risk...bcoz there near 0 capital involved...plus it's tax 'exempt', lol, so comparing to many other type of business, i guess tution/education is a relatively good industry to start wif.

still, ebay has to be the best first timer's bus. choice

jayz

walking
YAA is even avaliable for uni students, i am sure u'd be able to be part of YAA in yr12, although many schools dunt encourage this bcoz of the more important HSC.

it seems everyone is so optimistic abt business...trust me most of the time it ain't better than working in KFC. i dunt own a business, i dunt have a deg in business, i dunt even hav enough capital to start a bus, but i noe for a fact that starting a bus. ain't an easy thing and unless u r well informed in the industry of your choice, it very unlikely that u will survive the first financial yr. nevatheless, u will never get any where working for your boss, so i guess u'd still need to start workn for ur self some time in ur life.

a person i noe has a small tut agency with a few p2p contractors, it is very low risk...bcoz there near 0 capital involved...plus it's tax 'exempt', lol, so comparing to many other type of business, i guess tution/education is a relatively good industry to start wif.

still, ebay has to be the best first timer's bus. choice

krusata

HSC
N/A
Hi there,

Yep YAA is available even to uni students, and is quite popular.
Start up cost really depends on the type of business you strive for,
if your a student I'd recommend running it from home, the cost to rent space isn't worth it at this stage, since you'd be at school most of the time or at uni
Also what you can do in rented space you most likely can do from your own home unless it includes equipment and such as part of the property being rented - which then makes definitely out of reach of students

Tutoring agencies are booming, there's lots of kids out there who want to better their education, and their parents are willing to give an arm and leg for it.
If you do run a tutoring agency, please run it properly and be ethical, there are lots of dodgy tutors out there who profit heaps, the students just don't seem to want to move away or something

To start tutoring, perhaps tutor a few kids and news will spread, amongst chit-chat at parent work places etc, when you can't handle a few kids you could refer them to someone else for a small fee or something, thats' something you can work out how you'd like it run

To the dude that asked about setting up a business in nsw, check out:
http://www.business.nsw.gov.au/ - it's an awesome resource.
I'm currently studying a business elective specifically for starting my own business, Innovation and Small Venture Management in the school of management at UTS, Faculty of Business.

I'm also looking into starting my own business in 2 areas, freelance webdesign at the end of this year and one other, I'm doing all the research needed before jumping into the deep end, there's a lot to consider, one that many people fail to recognise is how they will pass on, or get out of the business once it no longer interests them, or even becomes too succesful!

I'm also doing YAA in a company called Yacht Buoy, we won the marketing award yesterday at the 2004 Trade Fair and Ive learnt so much through YAA, I very highly recommend it, if your willing to put in the hard yards

Anyway, post is getting long, hope something I've posted has been useful!

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
a question for those who run tutoring businesses

you contract people out, but how do you stop them talking directly with the client, securing work that way and giving the middle man (ie: YOU) the flick?

people would try that because it could make it cheaper for the client and it would mean that the tutor could earn a higher rate.

that'd be my main concern in that area

krusata

HSC
N/A
the ways to run a tutoring centre are endless
half of my friends must be involved

here's some suggestions:
- provide some services to the tutor such as marking homework, or a schedule of things to go through, and charge them a rate or percentage of the hourly pay they get
- have a one off fee for the tutor for each student u refer to them
- run a class with a few students and pay them well like they deserve, they may give you the flick but will they have the same students is another question. If they just leave and start their own class there's nothing you can do about that because they have the skills to do that

arendedric

HSC
There are plenty of cases where people prefer to have a business of their own than being employed at a place where you cannot have the freedom to do things at your own will. Having a small business would provide you the liberty to work in your own way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)