Has anyone started their prelims yet? (1 Viewer)

carrotsss

HSC
yeah same. are you doing them under timed conditions, or just picking questions that you know you need practice in. Since ive got my mx1 exam tomorrow, ive just been going over trig func questions that i find in past papers.
I’m doing them under timed conditions, but I’ve run out of new syllabus past papers on thsc; I have my exam tomorrow so it doesn’t really matter. For me timed conditions are basically an anti-procrastination technique at this point lol, I don’t waste time because I look at the timer and get scared haha.
But like 3 ish weeks ago i was doing them under timed conditions
Gah I wish I started 3 weeks ago, I only started less than 2 weeks ago which makes a bigger difference than you’d think, been pretty much non-stop grinding past papers for the last week to compensate.

dsakvyilsa

HSC
for my english advanced exam, we had 120 minutes for an essay, creative writing & reflection, and some short answer responses from unseen texts. I'm so stressed about MX1 😭 I'm definitely not prepared. I have it this wednesday, and then my EX1 straight afterwards 😰

carrotsss

HSC
for my english advanced exam, we had 120 minutes for an essay, creative writing & reflection, and some short answer responses from unseen texts.
Wow! And I thought my exam was bad…
I'm so stressed about MX1 😭 I'm definitely not prepared. I have it this wednesday, and then my EX1 straight afterwards 😰
Jeez, whoever wrote that timetable hates you haha. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll do great :)

fx82au

HSC
whoever wrote that timetable hates you
funny story... so the deputy is known to make every school event scheduled either on a mx1 exam, or a double mx1 period. last term my year group went bowling, and I had to stay behind cause I had my mx1 mid-year exam. This term I missed multiple mx1 classes cause the deputy always forgets that mx1 students are a thing. I have my mx1 classes when other student either leave early or have a study period, so the deputy decides that those periods are the best times to hold events for my yeargroup -_-... and thus the mx1 students (me included) complain. Anyways for my prelim exams the deputy who made the timetable, said that he centered the timetable around the mx1 students (but basically around me cause i do 3 sciences and mx1), and gave me lots of time between adv and ex1 (1 week)

fx82au

HSC
At my school it’s that except for English extension apparently. They already have way less hours than the required because of timetable problems and pretty much every single time something happens within the school, they miss out on even more English extension haha. Luckily they’ve spared us maths extension students so far, we’ve only missed out on 3 periods this whole year afaik.
my school is making me drop bio next term inorder for me to do mx2... and whats crazy is that i was considering doing eng ex1 when choosing subjects, so i have literally no idea how they would structure my timetable

thatnormster

HSC
Had my english advanced paper today! Went pretty alright I reckon, very draining though.
Just did my Eng Adv paper today as well! Just 1 singular Othello essay to be written within an hour... it was very exhausting but I think I went well. So interesting to see that every other school, judging from this thread at least, does short-answer responses for their Prelims on top of an extended response essay. You guys had a lot more work on your hands...

carrotsss

HSC
I start my prelims this friday, starting with English advanced. most worried about chem, phys, and maths ext 1. Has anyone done, or is doing the independent prelim papers?
Just sat maths ext 1 independent prelim, was relatively easy, comfortably finished with about 20 mins left.

thatnormster

HSC
Just sat maths ext 1 independent prelim, was relatively easy, comfortably finished with about 20 mins left.
i just sat math as well! (adv). it was really easy to the point that it was hard because i hadn't touched on fundamental skills at all and spent most of my previous studying time tackling problem solving techniques only for none of them to be needed... 💔

Last edited:

carrotsss

HSC
i

i just sat math as well! (adv). it was really easy to the point that it was hard because i hadn't touched on fundamental skills at all and spent most of my previous studying time tackling problem solving techniques only for none of them to be needed... 💔
Yeah, I’ve heard the maths adv prelims have been pretty easy all round this year. Mine was stupidly easy but it was a weird ‘western region’ brand one so idk.

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Just did my Eng Adv paper today as well! Just 1 singular Othello essay to be written within an hour... it was very exhausting but I think I went well. So interesting to see that every other school, judging from this thread at least, does short-answer responses for their Prelims on top of an extended response essay. You guys had a lot more work on your hands...
At a friend of mine's school, they did the same (just the Othello essay)!

carrotsss

HSC
have you done your mx1 paper yet? (was it the western mathematics one?)
Yep, had it today! Luckily, it was an independent paper. It wasn’t anything unexpected, a bit easier than most selective school prelims on thsc.

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Yep, had it today! Luckily, it was an independent paper. It wasn’t anything unexpected, a bit easier than most selective school prelims on thsc.
I'm very nervous for my exam tomorrow, I feel as if I've left my preparation much too late. I've done some papers from thsc over the last few days but I really just don't know. I've used the Maths in Focus textbook this year, and I feel as though all the q's were much simpler than the actual prelim paper q's o_O I also have my ex1 exam tomorrow, which I haven't prepped at all for (lol, I'm dropping it anyways)

fx82au

HSC
I've used the Maths in Focus textbook this year, and I feel as though all the q's were much simpler than the actual prelim paper q's
so have I, and i defo agree that theyre way easier than prelim qs. I recommend using other textbooks, or if possible do some hsc questions (ask your teacher if they have a 'SmarterMaths' subscription)

dsakvyilsa

HSC
so have I, and i defo agree that theyre way easier than prelim qs. I recommend using other textbooks, or if possible do some hsc questions (ask your teacher if they have a 'SmarterMaths' subscription)
Yes, for year 12 I'm definitely going to start using the Cambridge textbooks 😭

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)