Has anyone with 98UAI or less ever made it into med.. (1 Viewer)

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
FinalFantasy said:
so my school will give the uni an estimate of my UAI?
how can dey do dat?
do dey use how well the school has done in the last year and use that scaling to scale ur current marks to estimate?
and so is there two interviews? the september one just a trial, but the december one is for real?
I don't know how your school does the estimates. Some schools do it quite methodically, using scaling and ranking and whatnot to create an estimate, some look at your ranks and see what sort of UAI those ranks go in earlier years, while my deputy headmaster looked at me in a funny way, smiled and circled a number on the sheet (he knows me pretty well though, so he probably did a fairly good guess in his head).

You get one chance at the interivew at UNSW. There are two (2) rounds of interviews - 350 people do theirs in September, 150 do theirs in December. The September people are given theirs based on their UMAT and estimated UAI (described above), while December people are given their based on their real UAI and their UMAT. The combined UAI/UMAT required to get an interview in September or December is not significantly different.

Don't worry about all this for now - work on getting good ranks at school and enjoying year 12 inside and outside of school. All you need to do is make sure you sign up for the UMAt (closing date some time in April probably) and for UNSW at least, submit an online registration of interest form when that option becomes available (closed in may or june last year i think).

Also importantly, while it's good to talk to people on BoS, you should do your own research as well, starting with the websites of the Med faculties you're interested in applying for. The sooner the better, as you wouldn't want to miss any deadlines.

FinalFantasy

HSC
ahh thx a lot dude, i didn't know UMAT entries would have a closing date so soon....

i better do sumthin about it now lol

shafqat

HSC
N/A
and if u dont hafve the tome get a job FinalFantasy, like me
do work experience
or volunteering, like at an old folks home

FinalFantasy

HSC
shafqat said:
and if u dont hafve the tome get a job FinalFantasy, like me
do work experience
or volunteering, like at an old folks home
o so u did dis sort of volunteering work before entry into med?
did u mention it or did da interviewers ask u about it?

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Part of the application is a structured CV - about 6 or 7 questions covering fairly standard stuff including jobs and "anything else you'd like to mention". The CV is just used as a point of reference for the interview, so if it's not there they'll be unlikely to mention it unless you do.

FinalFantasy

HSC
o i've done 20hrs of "volunteer" work in year 10(everyone was forced to do it lol)
hahaha
should i mention dat?
or would it be dangerous, since if dey ask howcome i did it, den i would have to say it was compulsory LoL

m_isk

HSC
N/A
Estel said:
Incidentally, 95 UAI + 233 UMAT bought you an interview last year.
I have heard that at UNSW, the quoted UMAT scores are raw scores, not percentiles..like all the other universities. SO is that 233 a raw score or a percentile (cos if its raw, we're in trouble...233 would be approaching 300 with haste!! :uhhuh:

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i know someone who got in with 95.xx and excellent umat result and interview

Estel

Tutor
HSC
m_isk... that is raw.
Make no mistake, 233 is astonishing :p

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
i know someone with 240 and 98.1 uai who made it into adelaide only (not unsw). What uni are u talking about brad.

Skywalker : I remember in my sisters year there were heaps of norweigians, some were pretty weird =/ damn hippies

shafqat

HSC
N/A
insanebrad said:
I know someone that got in with a 91.xx UAI (plus some EAS i think) a UMAT percentiles of 96 92 and 52 and a pretty decent interview

IE me
hey are u brad from college B, that i sometimes see at pracs?
if so, hi :)
you are RES though arent you?

nit

HSC
no, I think he was doing nanotech combined with international studies, though he did get a uow law offer this time round.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
He did make amends with his uni results though...

Kelvy

HSC
I know someone with <98 who got into my year!! And its great that she did too :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)