Has Australia become a "meaner" country? (1 Viewer)

Has Australia become a "meaner" country?

• Yes

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

stainmepink

HSC
Do you think Australia has become a meaner country and why? SMH published an article which talks about how Australians feel about themselves and our country, 10 years since John Howard was elected. i want to know what young people think.

---

Edit: If you are going to refer to an article, please be sure to post a link to it (the guidelines are quite clear in this instance). As for the thread's stated focus, I believe that it can be discussed within this thread. That said, I'll leave this thread open and on its own (for now) given that the relatively simple binary poll may be of interest to some.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kulazzi

HSC
can you post a link to the article? I'd like to read it.

In regards to the question, I don't think Australia is becoming a meaner society, however the attitudes of Australians are changing, some of which is shaped by John Howard.

aussiebogan

HSC
N/A
I hope that it hasn't. I believe in equality and fairness in everyone and that is what Australia represents. I truly hope that in the future true aussies will be like skyscrapers that tower and influence those with lesser faith in Australia's goodness.

Last edited:

Comrade nathan

HSC
I think you missed the part were i said "you". I never asked for the definition.

aussiebogan

HSC
N/A
Where there are true Aussies living in this beloved land of ours, there is always hope in the aussie spirit. I believe, as true aussie blokes, we have opened our arms and hearts to the views and beliefs of others. I only hope that this view of our good-natured mindset spreads around the world and people worldwide will see the true aussie spirit.

Last edited:

louweesel

HSC
This really depnds on how you view the concept of being mean. A right-wing ultra-conservative may not see extreme nationalism and the abolishment of multi-culturalism as mean. Me, being a moderate lefty, I would see that as one of the most destructive and cruel things that could occur to any counrty. "Mean" depends on where you sit in politics, your morals, your viewpoints and your life experiences. I think that Australia has, since the 90s, drifted closer to becoming a conservative, reactionary country. The youth are becoming more and more angered with this which foreshadows a change for the future. So maybe we can change this so-called "mean" country.

HSC
lol...is Aussie Bogan a gimmick account? :(

To answer the question...I was only 7 10 years ago so I cant remember how mean people were.

vivanda

HSC
Australia isn't nececcarily becoming meaner it's the concept of nationalism, people in Australia need to become more consideate of each other, not enemies. Nationalism is not helping this. Nationalism is rejecting all the diverse cultures we have in Australia which is a problem as Austalia is a very multicultural country and we need every different culture to bind together Australia as a country. Australia is increasingly becoming more 'self-serving' and ignorant of others. This is what you will encounter in places such as Los Angeles... not that this is a bad place, we just want to encounge much more tolerant behaviour within the country if we want to make it a nices and more accepting country.

HSC
Sorry but im going to take the 'cynical view' ....

I don't think that we are getting meaner ... I think that us as Australians (or some of us anyway) were mean to begin with (in an other nationality context) ... a couple example of this would be -

1. During the Gold Rush period numerous Chinese immigrant miners were killed/injured for basically because they were there.

2. The White Australia policy - this one is a big one ... basically a period of time from 1901 to around the 1950's where no immigrants or non-European origin were simply not allowed into the country.

3. The treatment of the Indigenous population ie the dragging of children away from their families because we beleived it was better for them ... blah, blah, blah .... which is the biggest load of crap ... it was basically a form of genocide ...

Yes i know i am very cynical but meh ...

HotShot

-_-
HSC
I dont thin Australia has become a meaner country, i thin kthe jews in this country are very mean and thus the outlook is Australia has become meaner. Not true, the jews are meanies and essentially its their fault.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Jameswilmot2000 said:
Sorry but im going to take the 'cynical view' ....

I don't think that we are getting meaner ... I think that us as Australians (or some of us anyway) were mean to begin with (in an other nationality context) ... a couple example of this would be -

1. During the Gold Rush period numerous Chinese immigrant miners were killed/injured for basically because they were there.

2. The White Australia policy - this one is a big one ... basically a period of time from 1901 to around the 1950's where no immigrants or non-European origin were simply not allowed into the country.

3. The treatment of the Indigenous population ie the dragging of children away from their families because we beleived it was better for them ... blah, blah, blah .... which is the biggest load of crap ... it was basically a form of genocide ...

Yes i know i am very cynical but meh ...
a lot of countries have their histories...

if i want to judge the last 18.75 years, or at least the last ten years... I feel the society in general havent become meaner... moreso a little more bitter but a tad more informed. oh, and in saying that, the dumb have gotten dumber.

thats my little rant.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
You're all wrong. The question was "Has Australia become a 'meaner' country?" It is wrong to assert broad-based generalisations that characterise the nation as a whole, and as such, the question must treat Australia as an entity as opposed to sum of its parts, in this case, populace. If one was to analyse the ethical actions of a corporate firm, they wouldnt interview each member of staff regarding such ethics, they would look at the ethical decisions of the corporation as a whole over the span of its life. In much the same way we should also look at Australia as an entity, and one can only conclude that Australia is meaner when Australian social and economic policy includes:

• Undeniably racist conduct by parliamentary members; with respect to immigration policy and Muslim extremism exaggerations.
  • Reducing foreign aid below the proposed incrementally increasing levels
  • Putting Alexander Downer in charge of anything
  • Supporting the aggressive hegemonic pursuits of the United States, both economically and militarily
  • Denying civil liberties in many cases
  • Implementing unfair economic de-regulation under the guise of economic rationalism, undermining the rights of workers

Its not that all people have become meaner, only the people with the power.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
brogan77 said:
All nationalities are xenophobic to a degree.
This is true. Youll find the Japanese for example, to be considerably more xenophobic than Australians, generally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)