Has the development of HRM replaced the need for Trade Unions? (1 Viewer)

Are trade Unions redundant?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Yes, but they may still be relevant in certain areas (I'll explain in a reply)

• Total voters

Explosions_Hurt

HSC
Discuss.

I think it definitely has. Trade Unions were originally conceived to provide employees with greater bargaining power, and to limit the supply of labour. With the development of HRM, employers are starting to recognise the need to utilize their employees properly, whilst also providing them with relevant employee development programs, and sufficient monetary compensation for their services rendered.

Employers are warming to the fact that their labour force is their most valuable asset, and must be properly maintained in order to retain and encourage higher performance. Isn't this what trade unions originally set out to achieve? Now that this has been achieved, have trade unions become redundant?

Last edited:

pman

Banned
HSC
So i've never heard the abreviation b4...just define it and keep going

EDIT: to me HRM stands for heart rate monitor but it could stand for "High Reactivity Metakaolin" or "Historic Resource Mitigation"

EDIT 2: "human resource managers"?

Last edited:

Explosions_Hurt

HSC
pman, 'HRM' stands for 'Human Resource Management'. I thought that'd be obvious.

Debauchee

HSC
If labourers want to get the most out of their employer, then definitely not.

Note that the most does not imply what's fair, or what's even in their long term best interests----->

Employees of car manufacturer GM were part of the poweful union, UWA (United Auto Workers).

This union has a huge number of members and ruthless leaders with political pull. They made GM give out huge benefits to its employees, including top level health insurance. If i recall correctly, I read that GM spend (or, were spending?) more on employee health insurance than they do on steel!
Other things also included contractual pay rises, where employees receive pay rises after X years regardless of their performance, and, more importantly, regardless of the finanical situation of the company. Even when GM was going poorly, workers made sure to claim their contracted pay rises, even though the company couldn't afford them.
Add this all together ---> company collapses, mass redundancies. Company, not unions, blamed.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
everybody knows unions cause unemployment that is a fact of life

however workers keep joining them because they want the feeling that there is somebody supporting their interests (more pay for less work) so it makes them feel safe.

typical conversation with employer and union

Union: 14 dollars an hour is not enough. you need to up the wage to 19 dollars an hour due to your employees 'bad working conditions' and life requirements.

employer: OK

later that day

Employee: hey boss whats up

Employer your fired because your union came by and want me to up your wage to which i cannot afford.

Employee: oh.............

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC

however workers keep joining them because they want the feeling that there is somebody supporting their interests (more pay for less work) so it makes them feel safe.

Union: 14 dollars an hour is not enough. you need to up the wage to 19 dollars an hour due to your employees 'bad working conditions' and life requirements.

later that day

Employer your fired because your union came by and want me to up your wage to which i cannot afford.

WORKCHOICES IN ACTION

later that day, in make believe land...

Lentern

HSC

later that day

This time you gotta be foolin'.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
The OECD disagrees with you scuba_steve. They're obviously Marxist scum.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
So you're saying that the OECD is pro-union? I must say, Marxist subverters are uncharacteristically extremely efficient and successful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)