• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Has the RIAA's harsh actions scared you away from Kazaa? (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
After hearing what has happened in America, with the RIAA suing file sharers (especially on Kazaa), I must admit that they have scared me and I have not used Kazaa for a while now. So have the RIAA scared you too? Also, do you think Australia is safe from the RIAA:)?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I haven't used Kazaa simply because of the spam.
I haven't used KazaaLite since I realised it was taking up 300+mb on my hd :)
But that said... no, nobody will scare me from using P2P software - simply because they cannot sue everybody using that software :)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by anti
But that said... no, nobody will scare me from using P2P software - simply because they cannot sue everybody using that software :)
What if you are one of the unlucky ones that they decide to make an example out of:(?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i have stopped using it temporarily (it is still on my comp tho, but i have moved all the files out of my shared folder) and im just waiting to see what happens from here

Winston

HSC
Australia has not been 100% effected by the RIAA issues, they're more so targetting users who are 24/7 connected, and are continuously sharing files and uploading, i'd like to point out the keyword is uploading, those who download isn't the target. What's gotten more on my mind is why isn't Kazza taken to court like Napster had been?...

Unless there really is no respective owner of kazza, because they run off multiple connections and connecting to different servers.

But don't be afraid Aussie users, we're not a target for now, but i'm sure the RIAA will soon infiltrate it's way into our nation and attack us. As i see Australia is sort of taking note of piracy over the internet, as a couple of months ago i think two UNI students were caught sharing mp3's over the network.

What's even more stunned me is, why is RIAA even allowed doing this, i mean since when was the internet Controlled?
I can see in the near distant future, the internet will be entirely filtered and controlled by the governments, and as a result "Propaganda" may appear.

Huy

HSC
N/A
we've got ARIA, instead of RIAA in australia :)

i haven't used p2p software since ...ever?
i can't recall the last time i laid hands on kazaa, emule, winmx, edonkey, imesh and anything else out there.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
we've got ARIA, instead of RIAA in australia :)

i haven't used p2p software since ...forever :p :p :)
yeah same, go prvate Pubs, and mIRC all the way!

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
I haven't used KazaaLite since I realised it was taking up 300+mb on my hd
wtf, how's that possible? KazaaLite only takes a few megabytes, not 300+

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by wogboy
wtf, how's that possible? KazaaLite only takes a few megabytes, not 300+
maybe she had shared 300MB+ of files, lol?

but yeah, how is that possible... must have been downloading a heap of things, or having lots of things shared for other users.

:confused:

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
maybe she had shared 300MB+ of files, lol?

but yeah, how is that possible... must have been downloading a heap of things, or having lots of things shared for other users.

:confused:
haha must of..

but Kazza is a bloatware, man it's got the biggest memory flaws towards Windows, and it occasionally eats my CPU power

god once i turn it off, everything flies, but with that on pfft it's stupid

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i currently have 350 mb of songs stored on my computer..but im going to burn some soon, and get rid of the rest, just leave my faves on the comp.

Kn1ght_M4r3

Originally posted by Winston
Australia has not been 100% effected by the RIAA issues, they're more so targetting users who are 24/7 connected, and are continuously sharing files and uploading, i'd like to point out the keyword is uploading, those who download isn't the target. What's gotten more on my mind is why isn't Kazza taken to court like Napster had been?...

Unless there really is no respective owner of kazza, because they run off multiple connections and connecting to different servers.

But don't be afraid Aussie users, we're not a target for now, but i'm sure the RIAA will soon infiltrate it's way into our nation and attack us. As i see Australia is sort of taking note of piracy over the internet, as a couple of months ago i think two UNI students were caught sharing mp3's over the network.

What's even more stunned me is, why is RIAA even allowed doing this, i mean since when was the internet Controlled?
I can see in the near distant future, the internet will be entirely filtered and controlled by the governments, and as a result "Propaganda" may appear.

umm isnt it because wherever the hell kazaa has been created doesn't have such copyright laws like other countries do?? i thought thats the reason they can't actually sue them because they aren't breaching any laws in their country. coz i know there are some countries which refused to sign the copyright legislation thing wateva u call it lol, my brain is dead so excuse me itz 2am. ehheh =0.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
RIAA can't touch us because we're not subject to American law. We can only be prosecuted for breaking a law in the country where the infringement took place. And we are hardly breaking Australian laws :) Not even a free trade agreement can bridge the sovereignty of Australian and US laws.

We should go the way of the Canadians.

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Kn1ght_M4r3
umm isnt it because wherever the hell kazaa has been created doesn't have such copyright laws like other countries do?? i thought thats the reason they can't actually sue them because they aren't breaching any laws in their country. coz i know there are some countries which refused to sign the copyright legislation thing wateva u call it lol, my brain is dead so excuse me itz 2am. ehheh =0.
That could be the reason too, i'm not sure.. but i know Kazza is just a client to the end user, there really is no kazza servers for themselves, i remember they run of gnutella or wateva servers, and i duno if i'm screwed in the mind but i think Kazza is made by some Aussies haha

-X-

HSC
N/A
Im not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread (too lazy to read now) but the latest kazaa lite has an option to block RIAA ip numbers. You can also update the IP block list within kazaa lite. :)

edit: Not only RIAA but other companies too.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by -X-
Im not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread (too lazy to read now) but the latest kazaa lite has an option to block RIAA ip numbers. You can also update the IP block list within kazaa lite. :)

edit: Not only RIAA but other companies too.
That's true, but i'm 100% Sure, the RIAA knows about this, and is outsourcing a company to act as bots to track down the major sharers

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
er.. bit late, but anyway.
i didn't have anything shared, 'cause i'm a stingy bitch. Actually, I didn't have anything downloading either - the only reason I downloaded KazaaLite was to see what the fuss was about, and I wasn't really that interested. If I want to download large files I get them off IRC anyway.

I have a feeling winxp and kazaa were conspiring to eat up as much of the 2gig I have left as possible :(

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i didn't have anything shared, 'cause i'm a stingy bitch
roflz im like that too

once it's d/loaded cut - paste into the directory above

after learning my lesson with telstra adsl ... 4 gigs over the limit... coz i forgot to unshare my shared directory.... never paying 300 bux again for one month of internet usage...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)