have an interview for maccas soon. need opinions!! (1 Viewer)

nakedcrumpet93

HSC
whats it like to work at maccas? is it clean? good wage? id prefer an opinion for someone who works at a westfields maccas coz thats where im applying for. thanks

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
well at least you won't have to do dining (cleaning tables, sweeping etc) cause it's at westfield.

Shazer2

HSC
I work at McDonalds, but not in Sydney. It's alright but there are a few factors and they include, shift hours, management team and preferred workplace (front/back). I work out the back, the work is a little tedious, and very repetitive but can be enjoyable when there is good managers on shift.

It'll be ok. :)

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
There isn't a major difference between Macca's stores, since it's in westfield it just means there is less of an area that the store has to take care of, all the regular jobs(apart from cleaning) is still there. Anyways I work at a busy road Mcdonald's; the first thing you will notice when you get trained is that MCDONALDS IS NOT CLEAN, sure the outside(in your case there it's not the stores since westfield pays cleaners) is clean but inside you will usually notice cardboard boxes, cooking equipment..etc.. all over the place, especially during peak hours where the things get put aside for a couple of hours to deal with the customers first. That being said Mcdonalds are pretty strict on the cleaningness factor and they do a pretty good job(by slaving you) in keeping the place in a workable conditon and one which isn't too different from a normal resturant kitchen.

The job is something you will get used to, no joke. In the beginning you might auctally find it refreshing since its probably your first job and you feel like your contributing but after doing the same thing hundreds and hundreds of time you realise what the deal really is and you either stay content by repeating the cycle or like many quit the job after a few months.I'll tell you now, Mcdonald's isn't for everyone. If you hate being bossed around or doing things which sometimes feels really unnecessary(or being a slave for that matter depending on the managers) you'll quit in a few months, but I suggest you try it anyway it's a good experience that will auctally prepare you for further jobs(and a decent contribution to your resume).

The pay....well it's the lowest pay possible given..it's minimum wage, so don't expect anything..but really if you never had a job before the money really does add up and you might feel like your rich for a second(doesn't last long). If pay is highest factor in getting the job you can try and look for casuals in small businesses like a butcher or fruit shop(one's that aren't visited as reguarly) they will generally pay a decent amount like $15-18 bucks depending on your age compared to $9-14 in Mcdonalds or any other big chain. The problem is finding them, but Mcdonalds generally would teach you better skills then a job like that(despite people saying these jobs teach nothing).

Overall if you want my overall opinion working in Mcdonalds feels generally neutral although there are times when you really hate working....I have yet to have a job other then Mcdonalds to compare to so I'm probably not complaining as much as others might but after months at the job as long your fine with repetitive tasking you let through and you stay positive that the future ahead is much brighter...then becoming a Mcdonalds manager.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
whats it like to work at maccas? is it clean? good wage? id prefer an opinion for someone who works at a westfields maccas coz thats where im applying for. thanks
As kat stated, you won't have to do dining so that's a plus. Working at Maccas is hard at times especially if you're experditing. The easiest jobs are the registers and drinks although my favourite is doing the drinks. When you first start, you're going to be paid around ~$7 an hour and after a couple of months you're pay will increase and every year, you're pay increases by $2. During busy periods, I suggest you fill up all the drinks on the screen and then carry them to the allocated registers instead of filling up one drink and then giving it to the register and coming back to do the next one. When they give you your roster on metime, you will NOT finish on the time that they tell you on the roster. They will most likely make you stay back if it is busy and you will not always get a meal break. When you first start, they will teach you the drinks and then the registers. As you get better, they will teach you fries and lastly experditing (well this is my Maccas but i'm not sure about your one). Disregard what I said if you're working at the back. If you're working at the back, you will have to wash equipment, obviously make the burgers, do rubbish run, and go to the stock room. They won't ask you anything at the interview besides the hours that you're available (in my experience) and most importantly, smile and be confident at your interview. Good luck!

ClassOf2013

HSC
McDonalds interviews are piss easy. All they asked me was my availability, what subjects I was doing at school and what I planned to do when I left school, and BAM I got the job.

I'm currently in the training period, it goes for 13 weeks after your first shift. For me (a 16 year old) the pay is close to $9 per hour, and it increases by 10% after I complete my training. Fries are actually pretty easy, did that on my first shift. Dining isn't that bad either. I havn't done registers but i've heard it's actually pretty hard, plenty of rude customers.

Some of my friends have mocked me for getting a job at McDonalds, but very few of them actually have a job (a few have been spamming resumes at retail outlets at the local shopping centre, but where I live there's a LOT of high school/uni students, and it's pretty unlikely that retail places would hire a 16yo with no experience, because with so many young people they can afford to be picky). Besides, McDonald's looks really good on a resume when applying for retail jobs.

Yeah Buddy

HSC
maccas interview. all you need is a smile, unless your butt ugly, then you should just look serious enough for them to see that your desperate.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I disagree with one of the posts on that. The type of environment you are subject to will depend on which McDonalds branch you can apply for. For example, Some managers are much more obsessive about preserving their reputation, and so you will be expected to follow the rules and regulations as a employee much more stringently, whereas this is not the case in other locations. That is why you can get really good customer service sometimes, and really badly made burgers at others.

The workplace at Mc Donalds is fairly clean, but I can't speak for others.

Working at McDonalds is similar to any other food store, it's clockwork. You'll get shit from customers time to time, as with any other job. During peak hours, it's extremely busy, and you'll learn to adjust to that after a while

The pay is not too bad, but I dont remember what it is. I'll get back to you on that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)