Have u had ur chemistry practical exam yet??? (1 Viewer)

kow_dude

HSC
WHAT!!! Practical test already? Mine will be about 4 weeks after the upcoming holidays !

MissGeorgie

ours is 1st day bak next term, im totally scre wed 4 it! its on all our topics, not just titration :(

charmed_cuties

Bubblegum girl
HSC
omg my chemistry practical was horrible
first the dropper of the chemicals (analysis of ions and finding the sample a, b,c and d as being a particular cation or anion) was leaking everywhere and i had to do it again and again
and the titration (with vinegar and NaOH) it didn't even change colours and i was like o shit wat the hell!! so i guessed how much NaOH would have been used

Paroissien

HSC
We haven't had a prac exam yet and I don't believe we are going to have one. Or is it a compulsory part of the course?

Scanorama

HSC
I think it is compulsory to have at least one prac exam in all science subjects.

Welcome to the forum Paroissien.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Paroissien
We haven't had a prac exam yet and I don't believe we are going to have one. Or is it a compulsory part of the course?
There is no requirement that you have a practical exam. However, there is a requirement that "a minimum of 30 % weighting must be allocated to tasks that assess students' abilities to conduct first-hand investigations and communication information and understandings based on those investigations" - Syllabus, page 91. A practical exam is a common way to fulfill this requirement, but some schools fulfill it in other ways, such as having students design and carry out an investigation.

elven_princess

Originally posted by Gough Whitlam
We had ours 2 weeks ago on tiration and i got a pretty good mark to my surprise :)
what did u have to do?? mind giving me an outline...coz im sort lost in titration T.T

Scanorama

HSC
elven_princess,
In our titation prac, we had to titrate hydrochloric acid (the known) and sodium carbonate solution (unknown). You put the known into burette and the unknown into the volumatic flask. Before the unknown is poured into the volumatic flask, you need to measure exact 25ml with pipette.

After the sodium carbonate solution is poured into the volumatic flask, you put 4-6 drops of the indicator in, the indicator we used was phenolphthalein. The colour of the indicator was pink because sodium carbonate was basic.

After that, you open the tap of the burettes, be very careful on this, many people in my class stuff this part up. While the known is being release to the volmatic flask, stir the volumatic flask to ensure the most accurate result. When it reach to the equivalence point, the colour of the indicator will change, in this case, the colour change to colourless, then record the result with how much hydrochloride (known) was needed to reach the equivalence point.

Placing a white piece of paper under the volumatic flask would be helpful to determine the change of colour.

Hope his helps :)

Gough

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
WHAT THE HELL?! omg i had my practical chem exam in may. may the....4th i think. Blah.

Anyways mine was a titration. got 19/20 on the titration bit; note to self, teacher thinks if i dont point out that OMG i'm wearing my own glasses therefore do not need safety glasses, then i must've forgotten and therefore am not following safety precautions. whatever. after a year of pointing out that i wear glasses, i thought she'd have a realised...that i'd know when i'm wearing them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)