• No

Votes: 42 64.6%
  • I think so....

Votes: 12 18.5%

• Total voters

JacquelineR

HSC
Just your imagination.
I would really like a scientific explanation beyond the dismissive and patronising 'it's just your imagination', to be honest...

...if my imagination has the capability to produce a visual hallucination that detailed, lifelike and and unfalteringly consistent over a period of hours, this is in itself an extraordinary thing!

One must wonder what my five-year old 'problematic mind' must have contained to see so clearly what I did see. Certainly not years of cultural conditioning, anyway, or extensive expectations of how ghosts should look. *Shrugs shoulders*

I hope Uncle can see a ghost so that he or she can understand why I am so convinced that I have. (= Perhaps there is mental or spiritual energy which enables work to occur?

(sings, Katy Perry style) I saw a ghost and I liked it,
hope prospective employers don't mind it...

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I would really like a scientific explanation beyond the dismissive and patronising 'it's just your imagination', to be honest...

...if my imagination has the capability to produce a visual hallucination that detailed, lifelike and and unfalteringly consistent over a period of hours, this is in itself an extraordinary thing!

One must wonder what my five-year old 'problematic mind' must have contained to see so clearly what I did see. Certainly not years of cultural conditioning, anyway, or extensive expectations of how ghosts should look. *Shrugs shoulders*

I hope Uncle can see a ghost so that he or she can understand why I am so convinced that I have. (= Perhaps there is mental or spiritual energy which enables work to occur?

(sings, Katy Perry style) I saw a ghost and I liked it,
hope prospective employers don't mind it...
Unless you can provide proof they exist by detecting large amounts of residual electromagnetic or magnetic fields not produced my normal electrical appliances, apparently that's how such spirits are detected, see below:

No energy means no work.
A person dies and cannot receive any further source of energy and therefore cannot move or do anything requiring work.
Game over.
Ghosts are just virtual manifestations of a person's problematic mind.
I'd be more worried about an angry gun-toting neighbour than a ghost or alike.

JacquelineR

HSC
Uncle,

If one is presented with an observation which contradicts theory, there are two choices:

1) To discount the observation
2) To discount the theory

What I believe Uncle is trying to do, from a logical standpoint, is (1), that is, discounting the observation. There are many ways to properly attack an observation. An observation should be called into account on the grounds of its replicability, its objectivism, and its verifiability.

However, using an existing theory to discredit an observation is bad logic, and it's not empiricism. Think...Pasteur's experiments with the growth of micro-organisms in milk.

Uncle's second charge, to produce quantifiable observation of a ghost, is much much better! I approve! However, when one starts talking about recording ghosts, it also means moving into the realm of Popper's non-justifiable hypothesis, or Russell's teapot. The existence of ghosts cannot be disproved, because failure to measure them does not mean they don't exist.

Which is yukky. :eek:

So I hereby declare that ghosts, alongside with God, fall outside the realm of useful scientific investigation.

Angelyte

HSC
I thought I saw one at night when I was like five years old. i woke up in the middle of the night and this grey woman was sleeping next to me on my bed.
I freaked and ran to my dad.
the strangest thing is, I still remember the ghost's face clearly as if it were yesterday...
and it was like 12 years ago...:p lol

HSC
Uni Grad
Naw, I question anyones sanity who believes they have though.

HalcyonSky

HSC
are you fucking spastic if a kettle turns on and a pen rolls off a desk you would really conclude that a FUCKING GHOST DID IT?

WHY?

WHY WOULD A GHOST TURN ON YOUR KETTLE?

IT WANTS TO MAKE A FUCKING CUP OF EARL GRAY?

there are perfectly reasonable explanations for it.. make another thread when your walls are bleeding or you wake up to find your mother impaled by an inverted cross or something

that being said, ive not seen a ghost but i have seen strange objects moving erratically which i could not for the life of me find any explanation for.
I was sitting in the car with dad driving and i looked up to see these lights seeming to be weaving in and out of the clouds, i thought it was my eyes fucking up but then my dad was like 'do you see that?'

- the objects were wayyy too large to be fireflys or something, plus ive never ever seen fireflys in my area plus they were moving toO DAMN FUCKING FAST TO BE FIREFLYS SO THEY WERE NOT FIREFLYS

- couldnt have been human crafts of any kind, they changed direction way too quickly

- no fucking idea, probably some natural atmospheric annomaly

musing

HSC
I THINK MY ROOM IS HAUNTED! I woke up really early in the morning and I saw the blue-whitish light coming towards me. It disappeared when I saw it. I freaked out and hid under the blankets for a couple of hours. I was like ten or something? I hope it was just a dream!

philphie

Banned
HSC
lol i've had scary shit happened to me but i still don't believe in ghosts. i use to live in an old medical surgery centre (a couple of patients we were told had died) and it was about a 5 minute walk from the cemetery. anyway on the first night we moved in, it was completely dark and i thought i could see coffins everywhere, but i was 4 so yeah. then from then till i was 6 the ghost of the alive michael jackson would appear on my lamp at night but eventually it disappeared when the lamp died. i remember on frequent nights you could hear extremely loud rattling coming from indide the walls and the roof but probably some pest. also my room had a large window and there was a tree branch right in front of it where bats use to play around in. all night i could see and hear the bats squealing and flying into my window. my room is the furtherst from the bathroom, and i have to take an extremely long corridor to get to it which starts from my bedroom door ending directly at the bathroom door. the light was broken and no one had bothered to fix it so i would have to walk through for like a minute to get to the bathroom in the dark, once i think i remember seeing the ghost of my dead grandma floating around on a chair and i loled so much, she was such a bitch.

most recently at where i live now, while i was sleeping i heard a faint scream coming from outside, when i went out to look i saw a woman in white glwing clothes walking slowly barefoot, with long wild black hair over her face.

my mum has had a few encounters. when she was working in surry hills really late at night alone she apprenlty saw a man with no face who was chasing after her heckling with a large echo, and this guy was in some traditional asian clothing attire.

my old english tutor (or guy who i paid to read the newspaper) told me he had an aunty who was possessed repeatedly and it was until last year that she eventually killed herself.

but yeah apart from that i don't belive in ghosts really. i believe in succumbing to irrationality, that's it.

philphie

Banned
HSC
and lol does santa count as supernatural? i think when i was five, i heard a noise in my room, so my eyes opened just a bit, and i could see a blurr of a fat man in a red coat in front of me. after that i just went back to sleep.

GINN

Banned
HSC
N/A
why are people idiots in this thread more worried about their imagination instead of other realistic dangers such as serial killers, stalkers and pedophiles?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I know someone who is convinced that a ghost has been following her.

She saw paranormal activity.

Didn't sleep for three days.

philphie

Banned
HSC
why are people idiots in this thread more worried about their imagination instead of other realistic dangers such as serial killers, stalkers and pedophiles?
maybe because:

1. they don't consider themselves important enough to be considered by a serial killer
2. they are not hot enough to be stalked
3. they are not cute enough to be preyed upon.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I've seen people 'out the corner of my eye' all the time. I've also been in bars where glasses have moved on their own - normally what this is, is a result of the water residue on the bottom of the glass leading to lowered surface tension - so it moves.

Ghost don't exist, my dear.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I've seen people 'out the corner of my eye' all the time. I've also been in bars where glasses have moved on their own - normally what this is, is a result of the water residue on the bottom of the glass leading to lowered surface tension - so it moves.

Ghost don't exist, my dear.
This looks soooo cool when it happens.

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
no i havent.

my mums friend can see them though apparently. she said she saw the guy in her kitchen making food .. dont know how that works. do the utensils even move if he was actually cooking like seriously?

ahhhh.. and this girl that went to my school said she was raped by a ghost!
RAPED BY A GHOST!? like come on is that even possible. what the fuck.

philphie

Banned
HSC
duhhh that's why when people who dress up as ghosts wear bedsheets, so all the evidence is left stained on the sheets for no one to find.

williamc

HSC
no i havent.

my mums friend can see them though apparently. she said she saw the guy in her kitchen making food .. dont know how that works. do the utensils even move if he was actually cooking like seriously?

ahhhh.. and this girl that went to my school said she was raped by a ghost!
RAPED BY A GHOST!? like come on is that even possible. what the fuck.

lol wtf thats pretty lol/ridiculous

williamc

HSC
well like

you hear stories about ghosts apparently not passing over because they have some unfinished business. now it is completely logical to think that someone who has had a crush on someone for years and years and dies doesnt pass over until they have sex with the person they have desired all that time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)