having problems with Belonging! (1 Viewer)

Thowra

HSC
Okay, standard short response question -

"what does this tell you of belonging?"

How to reply? It sounds kinda lame if I say something along the lines of "this tells me that belonging is part of everyone." What's a good, sound response to such questions?

same person

HSC
I find that these questions are the incredibly tedious...so i tend to chuck in a few big words, just to make me sound smarter...

for example, 'This specific example conveys that belonging is an intrinsic notion.....etc, etc'

jennieTalia

HSC
hahaha
Don't stress out.

You could say something simple and still rack up the marks.

Within this text belonging is seen to be a necessity.

or

belonging is seen to be an inavoidable fate if you live geographically close to other people.

Whatever, it just depends on what the text is saying!

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
Thowra said:

How to reply? It sounds kinda lame if I say something along the lines of "this tells me that belonging is part of everyone." What's a good, sound response to such questions?
Just say it even if it is "lame" / you don't believe it at all. Just show you understand some true nature of Belonging (we all do / maybe we all don't etc.).

bored of sc

HSC
Thowra said:
Thowra said:

A good response will back up any argument with specific examples and techniques, explaining their effect on the responder in detail.

In the collection of poems Immigrant Chronicle the concept of belonging is represented through the cultural purgatory of Peter Skryznecki; the composer is in a transient state where he does not belong to Poland nor Australia. This notion is explored in the poem Migrant Hostel where Pete is alienated from dominant Australian culture simply due to his Polish heritage. However, through this migration he is lossing connectedness to this Polish background and no longer belongs to Poland either. This state of 'limbo' is reaffirmed by the use of the simile “like a homing pigeon circling to get its bearings”. This image compares the migrants to a migratory bird. Pigeons travel their entire lives which symbolises the eternal migration of foreigners within Australia. Thus they can never fully belong as a member of the country. Barriers such as discrimination, social unrest and stereotypes exclude migrants from dominant culture. The word ‘circle’ also adds to this eternal battle for migrants. A circle has no beginning or end which emphasises that the struggle to belong is endless. Although belonging to any culture is now futile for migrants it remains an inherent human need worth fighting for.

Not the best paragraph but the idea of having to 'back your points up' comes through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)