Having trouble with Modern (1 Viewer)

KingDakai

HSC
LIKE OMG SERIOUSLY WTF MODERN HISTORY.
THERES SO MUCH CONTENT TO LEARN/REVISE.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Because the vast content is too overwhelming for me T_T

enoilgam

HSC
Focus less on learning the content and more on practice responses. With modern, a great memorised knowledge of the content is NOT essential for success. As my modern teacher used to tell us, modern isnt about what you know, its about how you adapt your knowledge for the purposes of the exam. At the end of the day, an essay question isnt going to ask "Explain what happened in the Russian campaign of WW2". It is more likely going to ask, "Evaluate the impact which the Russian front had on the outcome of the War". So focus on knowing the issues, as opposed to memorising dates and minute details like that which arent really going to help your essay.

Also, you should focus on doing practice responses on generic questions. For instance, with Germany I did a practice essay on "Analyse the reasons behind the collapse of the Weimar republic". I did this essay as practice because it is common to see some type of question on this issue in the exam (last year it was the armies role in the collapse of Weimar).

KingDakai

HSC
modern isnt about what you know, its about how you adapt your knowledge for the purposes of the exam.
Oh okay, but I need to know the knowledge prior to adapting it right? Hahahaha, all my memory is short-term and I know nothing at all :(

Also, you should focus on doing practice responses on generic questions.
Would you recommend doing this for all of Germany and Conflict in Europe?
Like instead of memorising notes, I should create generic essays for all the dot points in the syllabus?

Would you recommend leaving out several dot points?

Thank you in advance :)

enoilgam

HSC
Doing generic essays is good for sections II, III and IV. Since the exam is coming up fast, just focus on areas of the syllabus which are commonly covered. Obviously, you need a good knowledge of the course to do well, but what my teacher was trying to convey to us is that a great knowledge of the syllabus isnt essential for a band 6. Most modern students focus on learning the ins and outs of the syllabus, when they should be focusing on essay writing and adapting their knowledge. Take for instance the syllabus point in conflict in europe on the russian campaign. Its pointless to know every detail of exactly what occured on the eastern front. What you need to know is the issues which arise from this point i.e. what impact did it have on Russia/germany/the allies/the war? I hope that makes a bit more sense.

HSC
You should have done physics too so you could invent a time machine and learn it the old fashion way.

y510920

HSC
Uni Grad
i memorised my essays word by word....advantage: you can write the essays real quick IF you get the correct questions and a guaranteed 23-25/25. ...disadvantage: i have only prepared 5 essays for modern, no content memorised...if i didn't get the questions.....then....i am screwed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)