HAY GUYS! The Unions are sick of small crowds (1 Viewer)

Rorix

HSC
LadyBec said:
my uni has like a mini supermarket, and that food is cheaper then the normal grocery store food.

I would be suprised if your uni had a high enough turnover (or was subsidised out of its ass) to compete with the low profit margins of main supermarket chains.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Impossible. (unless you don't live near any coles or whatever i guess...)
coles isn't that far.... only like a hald hour walk from uni. Which is pretty far is you do have to walk actually...

Rorix said:
I would be suprised if your uni had a high enough turnover (or was subsidised out of its ass) to compete with the low profit margins of main supermarket chains.
I dont know how much cheaper it is or anything, seeing as how I dont buy my own food. In fact the only reasons I know it exists is cos i've seen the signs.
I guess it might not be there anymore if it couldt compete, but wouldnt they have taken the signs down?

HSC
LadyBec said:
my uni has like a mini supermarket, and that food is cheaper then the normal grocery store food.
LadyBec said:
I dont know how much cheaper it is or anything, seeing as how I dont buy my own food.
Hmn, there's something that troubles me about these two statements when put together just like so, but I can't quite figure out what it is.

Last edited:

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
Hmn, there's something that troubles me about these two statements when put together just like so, but I can't quite figure out what it is.
probaby cos it doesnt make any sense.
To clarify: at my uni they have like a little supermarket that's open at specific times (as in it's not always there and open), according to the signs about it, it has discount food (as in cheaper then normal). I don't know for sure, as I dont buy my own food (cos it comes with my rent).
All of my info about it comes from the signs.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
LadyBec said:
according to the signs about it, it has discount food (as in cheaper then normal)
*starts up a store and puts up a sign "Overpriced food here!"

1 month later

*is bewildered by the lack of customers

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
yes but the poor kiddies who live on campus and have no car are a handy market for it... the busses her are hopeless, and coels is a good half hour walk away, if you lived on campus and had no car why not buy your food on campus too? Its actually pretty clever when you think about it...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
LadyBec, I basically believe you're lying.
There is No conceivable way that you could even with a large union, bulk buy to a point where your goods are sold for cheaper than the large supermarkets...
Perhaps a tiny country corner store, but not ur 'coles' or 'woolies'.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
LadyBec, I basically believe you're lying.
There is No conceivable way that you could even with a large union, bulk buy to a point where your goods are sold for cheaper than the large supermarkets...
Perhaps a tiny country corner store, but not ur 'coles' or 'woolies'.
Why would she be lying? Food stores such as what ladybec describes do exist (coops, most of the time).

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
Generator said:
Why would she be lying? Food stores such as what ladybec describes do exist (coops, most of the time).
thank you,
and NTB for the record, I never said that I knew for a fact that it was cheaper, simply that I had heard that it was. Honestly why is that such an impossible thing. Besides, unlike chain supermarkets it wouldn't be out there to make a profit, so it could cut that out of the price, as well as howeevr much the union forked out.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Generator said:
Yes, but it is impossible for the union to provide food cheaper than the price of the supermarkets, the only way is if the 'savings' are actually your union dollars, which spread out over a bunch of groceries in a year, wouldn't be very much.
I wasn't doubting that these types of shops exist.

Besides, unlike chain supermarkets it wouldn't be out there to make a profit, so it could cut that out of the price, as well as howeevr much the union forked out.
The wholesalers ( i believe coles etc are their own whole saler ) sell it to other shops for much more than they sell it to large supermarkets (who bulk-buy beyond imagination).

Rorix

HSC
Supermarket type organisations generally have low profit margins on merchandise since they trade such high volume.

Re Josie, I think you will find that people do indeed read the Telegraph and that, contrary to popular leftist opinion, there is little difference in the reporting quality between the two newspapers.

walrusbear

HSC
Rorix said:
Re Josie, I think you will find that people do indeed read the Telegraph and that, contrary to popular leftist opinion, there is little difference in the reporting quality between the two newspapers.
are you for real?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)