HDD formatting = memory loss?? (1 Viewer)

Kn1ght_M4r3

Hey is it true that if u format ur HDD that it will result in a memory loss in the hdd? i dunno because my friend told me that but i dont think that is entirely true. i just wanted to confirm this before i continue formatting my computer. coz i am thinking of formatting soon and if thats true ill just delete files and save my hdd from memory loss.

yeah but my opinion is that it doesn't coz i've never heard of such a thing until my friend said he read it somewhere. i dunno i just wanted to see if anyone else noes.

thanx :D

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
lol, what do you mean by "memory loss", caused by formatting?

Do you mean your hard drive will get smaller, hence losing storage space? ==> False. Your hard drive size is always the same. A 40 Gb hard drive is always 40 Gb hard drive.

Do you mean you will lose all the files & folders stored in your hard drive? ===> True. You will lose everything (all files & folders) on that hard drive.

Anyway, why do you want to format your computer? Is there something wrong with your Windows installlation? Formatting your hard drive gets rid of everything on it, including your Windows installation, documents, MP3s etc. If there's no reason to do it, don't do it.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
a normal format won't be anthing.

But i think there is something called a hard format in which could result in bad sectors if you do it too much.

Winston

HSC
there are two formats

a) normal quick format

or b) a unconditional format

you see when you format your PC

theoretically all it's doing is uniquely applying something to the files on the hdd, saying that yes this file is marked to be free space and can be written over...

that's why sometimes if u format ur PC, and luckily enough u didnt write over some formated files u can still be able to retrieve it back using some third party tool

but if unfortunately that file is over written with new data tough cookies

while a unconditional format, clears it all for good, u cannot use third party tools to recover the lost data

as for memory loss, if thats so god my 40 gig would have shrunk to a 3 gig by now, i format every 3 mths, just to clean it out

ur friend probably just saw his hdd and realised his 40 gigs or wateva has turned into a 38 gig hdd lol, thats and if thats the reason, its becoz manufacturers consider 1 gigabyte as 1000 MB thats why per gig your being rorted 24 megs, which indeed accumulates

Kn1ght_M4r3

Hmm im not to sure in wat terms of memory loss he was talking about, ill have to ask him and see wat he meant. =0P. But yeah i kn0w u won't lose storage space as u guyz said, but i dunno wat he meant by memory loss. I'll have to ask him again. but thanx for the help guyz

fatmuscle

HSC
speaking of nuts

what about what Gness said on friday?

hahahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)