Heat of combustion and whatevv (1 Viewer)

Bricktop

HSC
Harro, can anyone tell me what units you get for heat of combustion if you use kgs for M? More importantly I guess, is what value for C you're meant to substitute if you're using kgs for M (ie 4.18 as opposed to 4.18 x 10^3)?

Probably simple but hey, I'm not great at Chem.

Cheers bruddas an sistahs.

rama_v

HSC
Bricktop said:
Harro, can anyone tell me what units you get for heat of combustion if you use kgs for M? More importantly I guess, is what value for C you're meant to substitute if you're using kgs for M (ie 4.18 as opposed to 4.18 x 10^3)?

Probably simple but hey, I'm not great at Chem.

Cheers bruddas an sistahs.
Do it mathematically:
H = -mc dT and if you are using c in units if J K-1 kg-1 then if you have m in kg, the kg's cancel out, and the dT is measured in K so that also cancels out, leaving only Joules.

Nodice

HSC
Well, in the markers notes for 2001 they commented on this issue. It doesnt really matter a whole lot, but they just noticed that a lot of people decided not to use the data sheet value for specific heat capacity of water, ie 4.18x10^3 Jkg-1K-1 instead using 4.18 Jg-1K-1
This basically means that if you just use 4.18, use your mass in grams. If you use 4.18x10^3 use the mass in kilograms.
Either way, its fine. The most 'correct' for the markers would be 4.18x10^3 but hey, as I said it doesnt matter. :)

rama_v

HSC
Constants are given in SI units. The base SI unit of mass is kg, surprisingly (not grams). So thats why they give it to you in kg.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)