• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

hecs clearing rumours (2 Viewers)

doe

HSC
N/A
society rewards hard work and initiative. you degree may help you get you your first job but after that it very much comes down to the individual.

i have lived and worked overseas in real whitecollar jobs and in my experience you would be lucky to get an interviewer who could point out sydney on a map, let alone rank its universities. we live in a country that is internationally insignifigant, regardless of what the media would have you believe. even one of our prime ministers called it "the arse end of the world." its a big world out there and in the end australia is small potatoes.

when i left my job in london and we interviewed for my replacement, i was one of the people doing the interviews. we had candidates with degrees ranging from a law degree from oxford, a masters degree in computer science and a degree in zoology. maybe ten of the twelve candidates had the required skills to do the job, all gained from real world experience. who got hired? the person who we felt would best fit in with the existing corporate culture.

the world is a big place and theres lots of assholes in it. a degree gives no indication of success in life, unless you define success soley as "having a degree" ;)

doe

HSC
N/A
hehe thanks :) i tend to ramble on a lot (should be studying, you know how it is)

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Eh, we've had this argument so many times before that it's becoming ridiculous. In the end, if some knob wants to think that some uni that he's never been to is 'shit', 'crap' or whatever other word you want to use, who cares? Whatever floats his leaky boat.

Like I've said before, if your potential employer hires people merely on the basis of what university they went to - I'd be bloody worried because if they're so closed-minded about how they hire people, they'd be closed-minded in a hell of a lot of other areas.

baker182

HSC
Well there is a lot of hate here, how about you go back to Melbourne?

cayte

Originally posted by baker182
Well there is a lot of hate here, how about you go back to Melbourne?
hee hee.

Originally posted by melbournian
ANd strong research means you have better (in terms of academically superior) lecturers.
Actually, usually it just means you have more arrogant, self-righteous and close-minded lecturers. Something with which it sounds like you need little assistance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)