HECS Question (1 Viewer)

.ben

HSC
Hey guys

Let's say I'm a CSP student (eligible for HECS) at the moment, but last year I decided to pay my fees upfront. But starting this year, now I want to utilise the HECS scheme and put the fees due on loan. Do I have to visit the student centre in person or can I change it online?

Thanks

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i dont know for sure, but i'd say student centre, cause i think you have to sign something to defer to tax

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Go to the student centre (no later than the due date on the fee statement.)

They'll give you a form to fill in and you'll need your Tax File Number.

Cannot be done online

neafoo

HSC
I'm in the exact same position. I wasn't going to get HECS until i realised they wanted it upfront on the 8th of february which is like friday i think. So im gunna go in there and change it soon. I would have thought i would have had to have paid it by the census date (31st of march or whenever), but apparently not.

neafoo

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
hey guys

i was wondering it says that if you pay $500 or more you get a 20% discount. is this on the total amount or the amount that you paid?
I dont entirely understand your question, but what happened last semester to me was i paid upfront as a CSP (Australian citizen etc) so i recieved a 20% discount of the overall fee's of my semester. I'm fairly sure (don't hold me to this, someone who knows more about it will clarify it) that if i had gone for HECS, while i wouldnt have had to have paid yet, the price would have been about $2500, instead of $2000.
^ Hopefully that helps you answer your question, but i might be wayoff :confused::confused:

DeepDarkRose

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
hey guys

i was wondering it says that if you pay $500 or more you get a 20% discount. is this on the total amount or the amount that you paid?
i think it's just basically for every $80 you pay, you get $100 taken off your debt...
so if you pay $500, it will take $625 off

I'm not sure, someone correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:

neafoo

HSC
DeepDarkRose said:
i think it's just basically for every $80 you pay, you get $100 taken off your debt...
so if you pay $500, it will take $625 off

I'm not sure, someone correct me if I'm wrong
You are right. I was just in there changing stuff and i asked about it. If you pay off any money between now and census date, then whatever you pay is worth 20% more. Thus if i pay $500, its worth 20% more and its worth $600. :) :cold::cold::cold:

DeepDarkRose

HSC
neafoo said:
You are right. I was just in there changing stuff and i asked about it. If you pay off any money between now and census date, then whatever you pay is worth 20% more. Thus if i pay $500, its worth 20% more and its worth $600. :) :cold::cold::cold:
oops yes, $600, i was counting 25% for no good reason *stoopid me*

neafoo

HSC
DeepDarkRose said:
oops yes, $600, i was counting 25% for no good reason *stoopid me*
no no, not stupid you. It actually does take $625 off (or so the lady told me), but i decided not to mention that so i could try and simplify things a bit, which it looks like i didn't need to do =[.

DeepDarkRose

HSC
hahah and it seems i really can't count.....

$500 = 80% so $625 = 100%

ohhhh yeaaaaa i was right the first time....

i'm glad it's holidays and my brain doesn't actually need to function yet lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)