• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HECS - Upfront or defer (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
deferred.....upfront only if u think u can really be able to...should use the money for other thingz..lol, after all, wer're still young

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i deferred, coz my parents arent paying a cent of my hecs, and i dont have a job to save the money or anything
the way i see it, its only gunna take me a year or two to pay it off, im gunna be living as cheap as possible for the first few years and put as much $ into voluntary repayments as i can

suz

HSC
Aimed to pay up front, but ended up deferring
Cause I defered this year can I pay upfront next year???

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by suz
Aimed to pay up front, but ended up deferring
Cause I defered this year can I pay upfront next year???
You can pay up front next semester if you want, you are only locked in for one semester:).

Majesty

HSC
N/A
I think deferring is a smart option.
I mean the amount that comes out of your gradulate salary is so minimal you wouldnt even know you're paying HECS.
Even if you have money now you're better off using that money on other things to enjoy your time at uni. Well of course unless you're already filthy rich and have money falling out of your pockets. :cool:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
You can pay up front next semester if you want, you are only locked in for one semester:).
but u can still pay upfront now can't u- since the census date for this semester hasn't been reached yet!

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
but u can still pay upfront now can't u- since the census date for this semester hasn't been reached yet!
Yeah, you can pull out up till then, but then you are only locked in for one semester, not the whole year:).

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
I am paying upfront because if I pay upfront, the bank I work for won't reimburse me. Otherwise I think I'd defer cos I couldn't afford it and I hear that deferring can be good because once you start working you won't really notice it going out of your pay and before you know it you've paid your debt.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by fatmuscle
don't u ppl pay partially upfront and the rest later?
That is another option again:).

Originally posted by InfiniteQ
I am paying upfront because if I pay upfront, the bank I work for won't reimburse me.
Is it just me, or does that not make sense:confused:?

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
That is another option again:).

Is it just me, or does that not make sense:confused:?
I work for a bank & they have agreed to reimburse my uni fees/books if I pass everything but they can only do it if I pay upfront.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I'm just deferring everything and have an uber fat debt at the end of it all :)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I'm deferring cuz if I die my parents won't have to repay my hecs :uhhuh:

j/k. I'm just too poor atm, I've worked since the hsc and still haven't saved up enough to pay off first year hecs

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I paid for first semester up front out of money I earned in the break between the HSC and uni. I probably won't be able to afford to continue paying them upfront though lol.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Finished paying off my HECS in 2001 but the stupid govt didnt send out info re my repayments at tax time (which they started doing) so I thought i still had another year. They took out anothers years worth........ nice tax repayment though!!

Deferring was best for me as I had no money as such throughout uni (none like the repayment figures anyway........)chose to keep paying by the fortnight via my paycheck as you really dont miss the repayment as i was saving for a house (HECS payments were like $100 a week for me) therefore I didnt have a lumpsum to play with due to the way I was saving. Only problem was that you pay more.......:(

alman

Originally posted by Lexicographer
No it isn't. It's a variable interest rate increased every year or so.
i was talking about the ING saving accounts that are being advertised everywhere...

thats how ING make their money - keeping the interest rate fixed..i know these things..;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)