Hecs (1 Viewer)

gelo

HSC
Ok. I've enrolled in Maq up to the point of where I just have to pay my fees.

How exactly do i sign up for HECS?
How does it work?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
gelo said:
Ok. I've enrolled in Maq up to the point of where I just have to pay my fees.

How exactly do i sign up for HECS?
How does it work?
Once you go in they'll give you a form to sign and jot in all of your details - then you'll have your HECS-HELP (the loan). Its not really that difficult either, there will be people there to guide you with what you need to do.

Once this is done you can defer your fees or pay them (most defer them) and if you defer them, you'll only have to start paying the money back when your income reaches a point somewhere between 30 and 40 thousand a year. If you start paying it back voluntarily then you'll recieve discounts on how much you need to pay back.

For more information go to www.goingtouni.gov.au

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
to add to kami

if you've enrolled to the point where you have to pay fees, does that mean you have filled out the hecs form already?

if you have, you need to go to your estudent to print off your tax invoice, which i think should also have information on how to pay if you're paying up front.
in this post http://community.boredofstudies.org/2748547/post-254.html i pasted the email sent to us about printing off our own invoice and paying.

d.i.m.e Babii

HSC
Is eCAF the HECs form you need to fill in?

I've completed that form online, but when I checked my account on estudent it still lists the amount which I owe and says it must be paid by February 23rd.

If I ignore it, does my fee get automatically deferred, or am I doing something wrong here?

CieL

HSC
If you've applied for HECS, it should automatically get deferred.

I've had a billion letters sent home saying how I have to pay my fees by the xxth of xxx.. but once you read the fine print, it tells you to ignore the letter if you're on HECS

P

pLuvia

I'm also wondering about this, so I don't have to worry about the fees right now? Because it says I owe around $8k for the whole year

nessyfreak

HSC
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST
i have been stressing over that exact problem for about a week!! Ill be ignoring that letter telling me to pay 2k by the 23rd!

aileenli

HSC
so hang on, i didn't get any letters saying i had to pay anything, though the estudent says i owe them heaps. i filled in the ecaf thingy and got apporoved, but when i go to the government website, it says my provider should have given me a form to fill out and some sort of CHESSN number. argh should i have this by now? or has there been some sort of nightmare mistake that makes me owe them 4k by 23rd?

im pretty sure i wouldnt be able to raise that much even if i sold my body consecutively for 3 days :(

P

pLuvia

It says on the estudent site that if you have applied for HECS then the debts will be deferred, but I haven't received any post either

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
New process came in this year:

eCaf = your application for either the HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP. This could be done online, you should've done it prior to heading into uni, and should've done it at the time of enrolment, it was step 3 and was usually done in E4B 116 (i think thats the room).

You could complete this online as well, but it would take about a day or two to be processed, the trade off with doing it at uni was the line was huge.

The important dates to remember will be the census dates:

Semester 1 31st March
Full Year Units 30th April
Semester 2 31st August

http://www.reg.mq.edu.au/Undergrad/current/feescharges/csp.htm

Have a read, its probably best explained there.

aileenli

HSC
hang on, how many times should i have done that form? i did it once online, and got a nice printed copy as backup. i read the enrolment brochure and understood that i only had to do it once before coming to enrolment day.
I've tried reading the government website, and all it says is that i should have a CHESSN number and some form. That macquarie website isnt that helpful to my stupid panicky thoughts either.

should i just call up macquarie and get this sorted? somehow i imagine being put on hold for ages, and being shoved from one administration staff to another...

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
provided you filled out the forms and your under HECS, you dont need to pay anything by the 23rd. They only give that to you because if you pay any money you get a discount.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
aileenli said:
hang on, how many times should i have done that form? i did it once online, and got a nice printed copy as backup. i read the enrolment brochure and understood that i only had to do it once before coming to enrolment day.
I've tried reading the government website, and all it says is that i should have a CHESSN number and some form. That macquarie website isnt that helpful to my stupid panicky thoughts either.

should i just call up macquarie and get this sorted? somehow i imagine being put on hold for ages, and being shoved from one administration staff to another...
Jesus christ easy on.

You will be notified of your CHESSN in your Commonwealth Assistance
Notice (section 3.3).
Do some reading. Taken from link

The census date hasn't passed yet, you do not have a debt, you have applied and if you've been enrolled, then it has been admitted. Thats what the safeguard was there for. If you have further enquiries, talk to the SES.

TO CLARIFY YOU WILL GET YOUR CHESSN AFTER THE CENSUS DATE

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
remember that they are not posting anything to you this year

go to estudent
click check my finances
outstanding debt
view my current debts
view my statement of outstandinf charges

that is what they normally post to you
i think if you've given your tfn and if you don't pay by census date, they automatically defer your payments.

aileenli

HSC
yes yes thanks i finally realised what i was doing. god im so slow sometimes i think i'll be walking backwards soon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)