Heil Hitler (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
John, the insults must stop all together... not just if you feel they are not justified. There have been plenty coming from your side as well, and people in glasshouses should not throw stones. If the thread continues in the current trend I will close it this afternoon.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
John The Great said:
Just some other problems with what he has written. He stated he hasnt set out to disprove my thesis or argument, however he clearly has. He has tried to argue that points werent substantiated thus they were wrong, and he has argued several times that there was no cause for the holocaust etc. Thus he has set out to disprove my thesis, he just cant seem to get around to it.
No, I said that I did not set out to prove that your conclusion is wrong. I set out to prove that your argument was flawed. Read what people write more carefully:
MoonlightSonata said:
I didn't set out to prove the conclusion was wrong, I set out to prove that your argument is flawed. Which I did.
John The Great said:
he claims his argument is based in logic, however one would say that is an appeal to authority, which we must remember, is a branch of philosophy, and as he wrote, it is simply a theory, not a truth.
As I said, you are welcome to put up an argument against reason. But you will fail miserably. No-one has come up with a good argument for irrationality.

John The Great said:
yes he did appeal to his philosophy course in his last comment. He in fact mentioned it more than once, and it was this appeal to authority, that he hoped would get everyone on side, as they would feel there was some authority to his claims.
You don't seem to understand what I am saying. Appealing to authority does not advance your argument. It in no way proves the validity of your claims. It is a major fallacy for obvious reasons. Suppose Einstein said that all black people should be killed. He is a genius, but does quoting Einstein in support of the argument that all black people should be killed help? Of course not. You're just going to have to bite the bullet and admit you're wrong for appealing to authority. It takes a wise man to admit when he's wrong. I won't think the worse of you for it. But continuing to believe that citing someone as proof that the argument is valid will not get you anywhere.
John The Great said:
The straw man theory is evident here. He argued it was unacceptable under any major ethical system and mentioned specifically christianity, and 'thou shall not kill'(appeal to authority). i then mentioned that it was accepted under Catholic Docrtine, thus his claim was false, and that there are indeed over 1 billion catholics, so it is obvioulsy a considerably large ethical following.
You are mistaken. I did not appeal to an authority to prove a point relying on that authority. I referred to Christian morality to show you that it was against that moral theory. That is not appealing to authority.
John The Great said:
his analogy of the world being flat is ad hominem.
Um, no. An ad hominem attack is an attack to the person.
John The Great said:
He did mention all ethics before(appeal to the majority), and this has been proven wrong with the catholic morality.
1. Actually I said: "any credible normative ethical theory."

2. I doubt it would be acceptable under Catholic doctrine. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they don't approve, morally speaking, of killing people.
John The Great said:
"Um, endangering the existence of the Nazis? How so? Even if they were killing then, torturing them and locking them away in concentration camps would not have been the best option." A baseless comment. It is of course, only his interpreatation, and yet again it appeals to authority. If you wish to know how so, then read Mein Kampf yourself.
Actually that is a baseless comment. You say that I am wrong, and to see why I should read Mein Kampf? You have not made an argument at all. All you have done is refer me to a book.

[Besides which, as to gleaning whatever insight I might from Mein Kampf, it would be like asking us to read Ptolemy to see why the Earth is the centre of the solar system.]

John The Great said:
"No it hasn't. I am well read in Utilitarianism. If you are unsure about it, go read John Stuart Mill for the basic concepts and follow up with some of Peter Singer's works." appealing to authority as stated hitherto.
That was only part of my argument. I explained why it did not meet the Utilitarian standard prior to that comment. That comment therefore, did not rely on my own authority. It was merely for your own interest and for your own learning so that you might get a better understanding yourself.

John The Great said:
"You make claims like "it has been established" without saying why. Again, you do not back up your contentions with argument or evidence." Sorry there. i thought I had made this very clear, it was expounded by St. Augustine and subsequently became Christian Doctrine, Canon Law. That is how it has been established.
How what has been established?

Just because St. Augustine says something does not make it true.

John The Great said:
"Appealing to authority does not in any way prove your point because it does not rely on the validity of the argument, rather on the personal character of a person, which is irrelevant to the truth value of your contentions." Perhaps you can clarify. If this person's character is only established because of the validity of their arguments, such as Aristotle, who is remembered for his philosophy, then surely it adds credibilty to an argument to cite the works and resoning of this great person. As the fame, has only arisen due to the thruthful value of his arguments.
Refer to my comments on this above.
John The Great said:
"They cited their arguments and expounded, criticised and explored them. They did not just cite their names." ohhh. im sorry but you havent read st. Augustines City Of God evidently. He only briefly cited the argument of Aristotle, as i have here, and then used it to support his arguments, as did Martin Luther and Zwingli. He did not expound, criticise or explore the arguments. Parhaps you can read Aristotle's metaphysics, then read the City of God, and you will understand my point.
Again, you actually make no argument yourself. You just drop names. You just did it then. "Read these, by these famous people. That's why I'm right." I can only assume that you don't understand their arguments and theories enough to be able to articulate them.
John The Great said:
"It is very easy if you are an atheist." If you are an atheist, you will deny Jesus' divinity, but not his importance as a great man and contributer to ethics etc. hence its not so very easy.
What are you trying to show by talking about Jesus? I don't see the relevance.
John The Great said:
"You are confusing history and philosophy. History involves the recording of facts about the past. Philosophy deals with reason and truth about the world. Citing historians as observers and recorders of facts is one thing. Citing someone as proof that a concept is true is another, completely fallacious thing to do." Sorry again there. you were very vague with your original arguing, that this applied to all arguments. Now we can see it doesnt apply to historical debates, just to philosophy. So why are you involving it here, in relation to Hitler. That is historical, as are the records of the justifications. If you believe they involve ethical questions etc. then once again this would apply to all historical debates, as they all involve philosophical aspects.
Wrong. You are obfuscating the point by saying "historical debate". It applies to all arguments. But historians accounts of something are evidence, not arguments. It is the data relied upon when making arguments. For example, John Howard wears glasses. If we had no photos or recordings of Howard in a hundred years, we would rely on the historians to tell us these facts. But if someone said "The fact that John Howard wore glasses shows he was a smart man" then that is an argument based on facts. You cannot rely on the quotes of some historians to prove the logic of that claim.
John The Great said:
"Yes, I study lots of subjects that involve analysing philosophical arguments by philosophers and I don't have any clue as to what philosophers think" Interesting, as before you were studying a major in philosophy and you apparently did know what philosophers think.
For your enlightenment, the " :rolleyes: " icon denotes sarcasm.
John The Great said:
"No they would not. What I said was a general statement that obviously implied that I was talking about moral justification." It was obvious was it? Actually it was anything but, if you really believe that is what you meant. Of course, the moral justification has been discussed previously, and you said there was no cause, not there was no justification. They are different.
You have made it clear that you did not understand what I was saying. I highly doubt other people would have mistaken my intent, but now you know. Happy? Good.
John The Great said:
"Nietzsche's will to power is simply an argument. It does not mean that it is true." Well, Ill leave it to you to read Nietzsche's work and his justifications for such a thought. Of course, the same theory applies to this ridiculous 'reasoning' you use.
Again, no argument. You just say "read Nietzsche". It leads me to believe you don't really understand him yourself.

As for my "ridiculous reasoning", it is only natural that you feel confronted by a deeper understanding of logic and reasoning than you are used to. Should you choose to study any course in reason at all, you will come to understand. But I have demonstrated the justification for what underpins these fallacies. I have shown why appealing to majority, authority, or making ad hominem attacks do not prove anything. You simply choose to stubbornly ignore those explanations.
John The Great said:
"any experience with the philosophical community. Ask any lecturer in philosophy in any university in this country about what it means to appeal to authority and they will tell you all about fallacies of argument. Enlightening learning which you would do well to examine should you choose to study reason or logic." well, I evidently have experience with the 'philosophical community' merely by my reading of such philosophy, and yes, I have had discussions with University lecturers in regards to philosophy. Your asking lecturers is both appealing to the majority, and appealing to authority, with no justification. I hope your lecturer doesnt read this site. Your last comment is ad hominem and baseless, as of course you cant really know that can you.
I did not rely on those comments to support my argument. I say that you should ask lecturers because you will benefit from their knowledge, but that's just in your interest.
John The Great said:
"But they all use reason" appealing to majority. Not to mention, you cant be sure that all do, so its baseless. In fact people are beginning to criticise that aspect of Nietzsche's work here for lacking reason.
Um, yes they all do attempt to use reason. No that is not appealing to majority. You have taken my quote out of context. That was referring to the comment you made about me contending that philosophers all think the same thing (which I did not contend, only that they all used reason).

King of Helview said:
By the way Moonlight Sonata you actually participated in your own falacy of logic, I believe it is called "tu touquoque". You assumed his arguement had no validity and couldnt be taken seriously as he fell victim to insulting others. Falling foul to a falacy of logic
LOL. Nice try, but it is actually called "tu quoque", literally meaning "you too", not "tu touquoque". And no that is not what it means. Tu quoque is basically a claim of hypocrisy. It is an invalid way to argue against someone because it does not refute their argument. For example:

- Moonlight: Smoking is bad for you.
- King of Helview: But you smoke!

Just because Moonlight smokes, it does not invalidate his argument. Tu quoque is a form of the ad hominem fallacy. The irony is that you just committed it by making that comment.

Last edited:

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
King of Helview said:
You are all to unfair to John, who is clearly an intelligent and very competent human being
You would seem far more objective, if your profiles had not told that you were indeed, in the same school and grade as John.

Are you simply tagging along to support your friend with such subtle euphemisms as:

King of Helview said:
when you take a stroll down Helview Lane dont be suprised if 3 people all demand satisfaction of you at the same time
------------------------------

gonnagetya! said:
John the Great has been, in my opininon, been getting a hard time on this forum.
Ah yes. Interesting it appears, that you signed up very recently, and your only post (disregarding your recent one-liner in this thread) was that of yesterdays, in support of John.
Very interesting, that you have never posted in any other thread before, but suddenly jump into one and vehemently mention and defend John in every second paragraph.

John The Great said:
Very, very good gonnagetya. You truly are the intelligent individual I have been looking for on this site. Your the only other person, with the exception of King, to actually understand significant thoughts in philosophy and you have read Nietzsche...We must discuss more.
Fortunately, now that you have found the intelligent individual in your grade, or this site, however you choose to put it, you can discuss your stark support for each other.

John The Great said:
his analogy of the world being flat is ad hominem.
Your first year philosophy course, is an appeal to authority.
You might do well to read up on this first before you try pointing out any more argumentative fallacies.
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

gonnagetya! said:
Is anyone going to help me out and tell me?

What is pre edit?
It's what you get before you edit an essay.

Simply put, pre edit = essay as pre cum = sex.

X

xeuyrawp

gonnagetya! said:
Also Moonlight,

would you care to explain your views on Hitler and utilitarianism?
It's pretty straightfoward. Hitler thought that only certain people should have utility.

In rational modern thought, utility applies to every sentient being. So, Hitler's definition of utilitarianism was different to most of ours.

gonnagetya!

HSC
N/A
Yes, but it is still was utilitarianism for the German people.

He did what he thought right by most German people.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
The debate here has been intense to say the least, but, nonetheless it has been interesting. I say 'interesting' not only to refer to the fact that such opinions are so strongly held by year 11/12 students (I shall not attack John the Great's arguments, being banned he cannot reply to my ciriticism and that thus to attack would be unfair) but also the maddness into which arguments pro and contra have sunk.

I think MoonlightSonata makes a good point about reason and logic. The only place to really, really, seriously debate with any credibility these points is the academy and, if we are going to attempt to raise ourselves to the level of academic discourse, we should all be mindful that the academy has rules about argumentation. I recall elsewhere on these forums Moonlight published a lovely (and extensive) post on rhetoric. Let's all try to read that before launching into empassioned diatribe.

As for the Holocaust ... this is a subject quite close to my historical 'heart' as it were. Next year I will be writing my honours thesis on the a subject related to the topic. All I can say is this: after having studied the holocaust and genocide intensely at university for at least the last two years, I realise that the personality of Hitler can not be distilled into simple characterisation, nor can the actions of the perpetrators, or the German people, or the Jews themselves.

My advice is this: the Holocaust provides an area of immense historical interest, ripe for reasoned, scholarly debate. However, we must refine our questions more. We ought to ask not: "Should Hitler be admired?"; but rather we should address pointed, sholarly questions, such as "To what extent did Nazi racial hygiene fit into a broader, international scientific discourse?" or "How can an 'intentionalist' interpretation of 1941 be maintained given the absence of a 'Hitler order'?"

The nature of the Holocaust debate demands far more directed, pointed questioning and argumentation. I would also suggest those wishing to persue the topic have a read of some articles from the Journal of Holocaust and Genocide Studies (from Oxford UP: http://hgs.oxfordjournals.org/) or have a read of Lang and Gigliotti's The Holocaust: A Reader (2005). Both provide a solid introduction into some of the more profound debates in the hitorical community and the historiographical discourse surrounding the Holocaust.

X

xeuyrawp

gonnagetya! said:
Yes, but it is still was utilitarianism for the German people.

He did what he thought right by most German people.
But there were a lot of Jewish Germans.

manlychief said:
As for the Holocaust ... this is a subject quite close to my historical 'heart' as it were. Next year I will be writing my honours thesis on the a subject related to the topic. All I can say is this: after having studied the holocaust and genocide intensely at university for at least the last two years, I realise that the personality of Hitler can not be distilled into simple characterisation, nor can the actions of the perpetrators, or the German people, or the Jews themselves.
You're seriously doing your honours dissertation on the holocaust?

ManlyChief

HSC
PwarYuex said:
You're seriously doing your honours dissertation on the holocaust?
Yeah, that's the plan. I'm going to look at the Allies' responses to the Holocaust during the war, i.e. an evaluation of the "why didn't the Allies bomb Auschwitz argument" but a little more directed. Why did the UK stop Jewsih immigration into Britain and their Protectorate of Palestine during the war? Why did Roosevelt not act even when US agents in Eastern Europe were producing a series of detailed, secret reports of the camps in '42, '43 and '44? Why was Australia so reluctant to accept Jewish refugees during the war, when Australian Army intelligence reports show Chifley was aware of the horror befalling European Jewry?

I will probably focus on the US in an attempt to draw together my interest in the Holocaust with the historiography of the American national myth. I would love to examine more critically the Australian records in the National Archive since there has been little work in that area but the most of the Archive is still marked 'sensitive' and, since I'm going to the Washington at the end of the year anyway, I expect to do some research there :)

Tomorrow in my tute, I'm going to ask Dr Dirk Moses to supervise me next year - for those who are familiar with the "cult of Dirk" at USyd, you will know that's going to be an experience :)

X

xeuyrawp

ManlyChief said:
Yeah, that's the plan. I'm going to look at the Allies' responses to the Holocaust during the war, i.e. an evaluation of the "why didn't the Allies bomb Auschwitz argument" but a little more directed. Why did the UK stop Jewsih immigration into Britain and their Protectorate of Palestine during the war? Why did Roosevelt not act even when US agents in Eastern Europe were producing a series of detailed, secret reports of the camps in '42, '43 and '44? Why was Australia so reluctant to accept Jewish refugees during the war, when Australian Army intelligence reports show Chifley was aware of the horror befalling European Jewry?

I will probably focus on the US in an attempt to draw together my interest in the Holocaust with the historiography of the American national myth. I would love to examine more critically the Australian records in the National Archive since there has been little work in that area but the most of the Archive is still marked 'sensitive' and, since I'm going to the Washington at the end of the year anyway, I expect to do some research there :)
That's interesting... Seems very broad. I'd personally stay away from anything from that time period or location because it's all be done over and over, but meh you're taking an Australian approach a bit (I think... you seem to talk about a lot of stuff) which is good. Like me, you probably have a tonne of stuff you want to investigate.

[Edit]

Tomorrow in my tute, I'm going to ask Dr Dirk Moses to supervise me next year - for those who are familiar with the "cult of Dirk" at USyd, you will know that's going to be an experience :)
No! We have FARRRR more famous personalities at Macq. The infamous White Australian and the famous Detective K-meister. :p [/end patriotic rant]

Last edited by a moderator:

ManlyChief

HSC
PwarYuex said:
I'd personally stay away from anything from that time period or location because it's all be done over and over, but meh you're taking an Australian approach a bit (I think... you seem to talk about a lot of stuff) which is good. Like me, you probably have a tonne of stuff you want to investigate.
Suprising, there's quite a dearth of serious scholarship on the topic of Allied 'complicity', and, very suprisingly, almost nought on the wartime decisions of the US administration as viewed through the lens of American nationalism - most of the literature centres on a treatment of the subject via questions of morality and human rights - thus I hope it is a little 'original'. :) I hope to abandon the "Geoff. Robertson Crimes Against Humanity" approach in favour of the less throughly explored "Sacvan Berkovich American Jeremiad" approach. Does that make sense? I've just finished 3 hourus of legal ethics readings, and a good dose of Comedy Inc, so I'm a bit woozy

There is, I agree, far too much I want to look at. Given the specificity of the thesis topic, I'll probably have to narrow my focus way, way, way down to some petty thing - 20,000 words is not enough even to scratch the surface ... damn you word limits.

PwarYuex said:
No! We have FARRRR more famous personalities at Macq. The infamous White Australian and the famous Detective K-meister. :p [/end patriotic rant]
It's not that he's famous, far from it. It's that he's an arrogant knob who has the suprising ability of making everyone feel inferior. I don't know why - we all recognise that he's a bit of a prick (i.e. Dirk-the-Jerk). He's so good because through him you gain access to the venerable Professor Konrad Kwiet (he was the chief historian with Australia's Nazi-hunting unit, disbanded by the Hawke Government in 1992) and Dirk's contraband collection of pirated copies of documents from the US Holocaust Memorial Archive and various Eastern European Archives.

fish fingers

HSC
Drewgcn gave a link to a very good site which discusses fallacies. After reading this site though I had some problems with the comments here. An appeal to authority can only exist as a fallacy if the authority isnt a legitimate expert in the field. John The Great mentioned St. Augustine and Aritotle and others such philosophers in relation to philsophical issues, so they cant be considered as logical fallacies as they are experts.

According to this site there is no such thing as appeal to majority, there is only appeal to belief and appeal to tradition so I wasnt sure what you guys were talking about there, as there implications are very similar.

I believe that John The Great had very valid points, although he didnt approach their discussion very tactfully. Poor John, it would have been better if he approached the argument like Socrates rather than like Nietzsche. However it appears there was a lot of attacking each other, Ad Hominem, rather than debating the issues from both sides.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
sunjet said:
Sure he was a good leader but he had a bit too much angst because he didn't make art school.

Haha the thread should have stopped here. Zing!

10 points for humour

HSC
Appealing to authority is ok if you explain what the persons idea is, and then say why it is relevant to the argument. You can use someone elses idea to argue, but you can't use the person themself to justify the claim

eg, you can't say "MrX thinks the taxation system it bad, and because MrX said it it must be right"

but you can say "MrX argues that (and then explain MrX's argument and why it is valid)"

appeal to majority is saying "most people think this therefore it must be true".

fish fingers

HSC
Silver Persian said:
Appealing to authority is ok if you explain what the persons idea is, and then say why it is relevant to the argument. You can use someone elses idea to argue, but you can't use the person themself to justify the claim

eg, you can't say "MrX thinks the taxation system it bad, and because MrX said it it must be right"

but you can say "MrX argues that (and then explain MrX's argument and why it is valid)"

appeal to majority is saying "most people think this therefore it must be true".
Yeh I can infer what he meant through appeal to the majority, but I was just saying according to this site, and I must say it was a very good site, it doesnt exist. There is appeal to Belief, and appeal to tradition.There were brief explanations of the ideas in many places as well before authority was mentioned, yet it was still listed as appeal to authority by people, however once again, this site states that makes a good argument, if the authority is an expert in the relevent field, which Aristotle etc. obviously are in relation to philosophy.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
fish fingers said:
Drewgcn gave a link to a very good site which discusses fallacies. After reading this site though I had some problems with the comments here. An appeal to authority can only exist as a fallacy if the authority isnt a legitimate expert in the field. John The Great mentioned St. Augustine and Aritotle and others such philosophers in relation to philsophical issues, so they cant be considered as logical fallacies as they are experts.
Actually they were fallacies. It does not just depend on whether someone is an expert. Appeals to majority will be strong if:

- The "authority" in question really is an authority.
- The authority is speaking on his/her area of expertise.
- That area admits of authoritative judgments.

In the case of the arguments he was using Augustine, Aristotle, etc for, not only were some not authorities, but the area did not allow authoritative judgments. For example:
My English lecturer say Shelley is the greatest English poet, so he must be better than Keats.
The English lecturer is speaking within her field of expertise, but judgments of taste in poetry cannot be held as authoritative – there simply is no settled agreement amongst the experts as to who is the greatest poet. Therefore, the argument is fallacious.

Typically, appeals to authority can only really be made where there can be direct evidence of something. For example, appealing to leading psychobiologists to suggest that there may be a new function of the parietal lobe in the brain that we have been previously unaware of - that would be strong. There is direct evidence available which allows their judgment to be authoritative.

Similarly, Wikipedia suggests that an acceptable appeal to authority would require the following:

1. The authority must have competence in an area, not just glamour, prestige, rank or popularity.
2. The judgement must be within the authority's field of competence.
3. The authority must be interpreted correctly.
4. Direct evidence must be available, at least in principle.
5. The expert should be reasonably unbiased (not unduly influenced by other factors, such as money, political considerations, or religious beliefs). This is why appealing to one's own authority is always illegitimate.
6. The judgement must be representative of expert opinions on the issue (as opposed to an unrepresentative sample).
7. A technique is needed to adjudicate disagreements among equally qualified authorities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)