Help a failure in Creative Writing (1 Viewer)

sasa-o8

HSC
Hi,

I've just composed a creative last night as I haven't done so for the entire year. I'm terrible at this section (been getting 6/15) and was wondering if you guys could help me out.

My story is basically about a boy reflecting on the death of his friend. The boy is thinking about the death in his room and there are timeshifts between the past and the present.

It's mainly inner journey throughout as it's mostly about the boy's response to the death etc.

After reading osme sample questions, I've realised most creatives are set at train stations/airports etc. Does this mean I should try change the setting to somewhere where it shows, quite obviously, a journey? What if I don't know how to change it to fit in with my story already? Will it mean I lose some marks? :S

Help!

munchiecrunchie

HSC
as long as you show some kind of a progression in the thought process, its a journey. You could locate it on a train/airport but it would just be awkward if there's no purpose of that location - set it somewhere where it makes sense.

morgoe

HSC
The creative section DOESN'T have to be the type of journey you're studying. If you're doing physical you can do an inner or an imaginative and thats fine. You don't need to use a train or a bus JUST to show movement from one place to another.

sasa-o8

HSC
Ahhh I see! THanks for the input guys.

Hmm but mine doesn't move much. He's just in his room thinking about it =S But in the timeshifts, there's movements from the house to the park (where the other guy died). Does that count? A bit? :p

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
Yeh. The journey is mine is demonstrated through a series of flashbacks which conveys the close relationship of the friends (mine is also about a guy who loses his best friend) I've gotten 10/10 and 13/15 for it, assessment and trial respectively. The markers have always commented on the 'interesting non-linear structure'. So maybe start off after he's died, the guy is reflecting/mourning on losing his friend, then just include a series of memories with the friend, then have him dying as the last memory then bring it back to the present if that makes sense?

frogbutt

Ugliest Member
HSC
it's a good idea to go on about an experience you're actually really familiar with.

If you don't understand fully the emotions involved in coming to terms with the loss of a friend, then it's probably not the best idea to try and creatively write about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)