• insearch then onto bachelor of business at uts

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
please help.

i have been offered a position for bachelor of business (applied finance) at university of western sydney.

My other option is to do a foundation course at insearch (uts). that being, diploma of business commerce, allowing me to gain entrance into 2nd yr uni of bachelor of business at uts afterwards.

the duration of the foundation course is 1yr.

which option should i take?

HSC
Ok, do you have guarranteed entry in uts once the foundation course is done?

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
i went to some talk about insearch and the speaker said no, there is no guaranteed position. in addition, a average mark of 60 is also a prerequisite.

HSC
If the uts course is much preffered over the uws course then I think you should choose that.

If you dont mind doing either and your decision is based on reputation and prestige then I think you should think about things like transport time, but a uni degree is what you make of it not necessarily the uni you go to so if uws is easier to get to and will lead you in the same career choices you want then go for that as u wont have to worry about getting into a course after a year.

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
if i was guaranteed a spot into 2nd yr uni at uts, then of course, without a doubt, i would be doing insearch.

but its not guaranteed. So i feel really insecure about insearch.

the campbelltown campus is about an hr train ride for me which isnt too bad considering the fact that it take 40mins for me to get to the city. i just dont really like the fact that its in the middle of whoop whoop and none of my friends are going there. but of course, u start fresh at uni and make new friends :)

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
please vote.

your contribution would mean a lot of me. would probably determine my future haha

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
want2beSMART said:
your contribution would mean a lot of me. would probably determine my future haha
as you said, ultimately it's your future...

why leave it to a group of disinterested, apathetic people?

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
i cant make up my decision

i want to know everyone's opinion

why should i go and why not

some argument to consolidate a decision.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
want2beSMART said:
i cant make up my decision
there is some high legal authority that, when a decision cannot be made, a coin toss should be used.

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
the coin can only give you 1 of 2 choices. however it does not give argument

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Programs such as insearch (and the equivalents at other uni's) can be expensive especially when you aren't guanteed a place. My careers advisor always advised against them. Why not do the UWS degree, at least you are doing the course and later if you decide to transfer and your marks are good enough you can apply with UAC. Why not put the money that would be going into insearch into a degree and that way even if you don't make the transfer you still can complete the degree you want.

But as Frigid said you should make the decision on your own, talk to your parents etc

want2beSMART said:
take 40mins for me to get to the city. i just dont really like the fact that its in the middle of whoop whoop and none of my friends are going there. but of course, u start fresh at uni and make new friends :)
DO NOT make your decision based on friends, even if they go to the same uni it is unlikely you will see them having different 'units' on at different times, attending different days, campuses and times.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
want2beSMART said:
the coin can only give you 1 of 2 choices.
i thought you only wanted a decision, not the ratio decidendi... :rolleyes:

in any event, i would say go with one you want :)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
want2beSMART said:
please help.

i have been offered a position for bachelor of business (applied finance) at university of western sydney.

My other option is to do a foundation course at insearch (uts). that being, diploma of business commerce, allowing me to gain entrance into 2nd yr uni of bachelor of business at uts afterwards.

the duration of the foundation course is 1yr.

which option should i take?
If travel time is not an issue, and you can get in with either then perhaps the next remaining factor is how much each cost. From what I remember Insearch isn't HECS covered while UWS is, however on the other hand by looking at whats happened with some people who transfer from UWS to UTS it doesn't seem UTS is very generous with credit transfer and you may have to start somewhere in first year at UTS in 07 depending on the credit arrangements. So you have to count up the costs of whether two HECS covered first year components of a Bachelor are more than one non-HECS covered year with Insearch.

And like frigid said, you shouldn't be determining your future by how popular the choices are among some bored teens.

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
yes ratio decidendi. my parents dont mind which course i take. they told me to make my own decision, which can be so difficult.

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
kami said:
If travel time is not an issue, and you can get in with either then perhaps the next remaining factor is how much each cost. From what I remember Insearch isn't HECS covered while UWS is, however on the other hand by looking at whats happened with some people who transfer from UWS to UTS it doesn't seem UTS is very generous with credit transfer and you may have to start somewhere in first year at UTS in 07 depending on the credit arrangements. So you have to count up the costs of whether two HECS covered first year components of a Bachelor are more than one non-HECS covered year with Insearch.

And like frigid said, you shouldn't be determining your future by how popular the choices are among some bored teens.
what about other unis such as sydney and unsw?

costs are not an issue as i am paying my uni fees upfront hehe i get a discount!!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
want2beSMART said:
what about other unis such as sydney and unsw?
What about them? Do you want to go to those unis? If so, then go to them.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Is the discount avaliable for insearch as well? I thought it was only avaliavle for HECS?
FEE-HELP would apply i assume.

a difficult decision is choosing between a main round offer to UTS law and a final round offer to UNC med. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)