help!!!A0S physical journey (1 Viewer)

rodie

HSC
hey everyone, does some one have any info on Shrek (relating to physical journey- AOS)????i couldnt really find anything on it. im not sure wat part of the movie represent physical journey most effectively...and im not sure abt techniques??????????plz help!!!!!!!!

rodie

HSC
isn't there anyone out there doing Shrek????as 1 of their related materials?????

TDjie

♥ Hello ♥
HSC
I'm not actually studying Shrek as one of my prescribed texts, and i'm glad i'm not cause i'd probably end up hating the movie. ^___^;;

If you think about it, the entire text is obviously a physical journey because he leaves home - his "Geni Loci" or place of utter contentment, and goes out to save his land by travelling to distant places in order to find an answer. But we know that as he travels he begins to learn more about himself, and who he is because of who he meets. If you were choosing to speak about parts of Shrek, perhaps you'd talk about one aspect of his travelling such as when he meets Donkey, and Donkey and him speak about onions and layers. Maybe even when he reaches the Duran(spelling?) The Kingdom and has to face all those knights in battle in the kingdom courtyard - this is a barrier he must face, but yet he is sent on another journey to save a princess. The whole section is about physical barriers and over coming them in order to realise more about yourself.
He begins the story extremely closed-minded about who he is. He is convinced he is just an ugly ogre with nothing to live for except for what he does every day routinely. But at the end of the story we see Shrek as much more open-minded because of Fiona, and because of the adventure he is sent on to save his land.
If you were to speak of techniques, I think you'd be silly not to talk about the 3D animation of the film and how this is meant to emphasise detail in order to gain a more effective viewer response. you need to analyse the film more deeply in particular parts. When you choose the parts that I have spoken about up there, or when you've found the ones that best highlight a physical journey: by this I mean you should consider:
- Geni Loci's
- Physical challenges
- Beginning at one place and never coming back the same
- The journey is more important than the end or the start
- The process of self-realisation
- Nature as a rejuvenating aspect of a physical journey
- Coming to terms with what you must do in order to move forward
- Moving forward along the continuum
- A process of reflection and evaluation of one self as a result of their journey and experiences.
>> think about film techniques such as the different shots - close ups, high and low camera angles, back shots, parallel shots etc. (which i'm sure you will find in a thread somewhere on Bored of Studies) and see what relates to your scene best, then pin point it back onto Physical journey concepts. If you need help with these - just think about if there is a close up shot, we get a more confronting experience of the character's own emotions at a particular time... if there is a high or low camera angle, perhaps the director wants us to see something more than the character's face - or he may be presenting different levels of power between two people.

I hope this helped a bit, best of luck. ^__^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)