HELP/ ADVICES: Career in accounting - finance or economics as a second major? (1 Viewer)

chocolates

HSC
Hi,
I'll be going into my second year and will need to choose my major's subjects soon for next years.
I'll definately be majoring in accounting and hopefully be able to work in an accounting firm( for now)

However, i am unable to decide on my second major - economics or finance. Economics seem more interesting but i get the feeling it'll be harder later on. Finance seem less interesting but definately more usefu (i think)....

I know many people choose acc/finance, but would acc/eco also be a good combination? or is acc/finance the way to go... dont really mind finance though... but eco seem so interesting right now...

arrg i dont know, what would be the best combination?

btw i stick with accounting because its fairly easy, im good at it, dont find it boring and importantly, more job opportunities.

Sorry for the blob of texts. Thanks

billbro

HSC
N/A
velox said:
Do what you enjoy. Seriously, I dont study at all for the subjects I enjoy, and still do better than the other subjects I loathe and study for.
I'd have to agree with that, similar thing for me.

However, as for Finance or Economics - I do the latter but the former is definitely more useful. Economics seems to be rather redundant, a partner I spoke to who did an Economics degree also told me he didn't really utilise it. With that said from my experience I enjoy Economics more than Finance, my friends who do Fins/Eco/Acct do tend to favour it as well.

Accounting/Finance is basically the bread and butter of Commerce courses. Accounting/Economics isn't uncommon, but definitely a rarer breed.

Probably haven't been too helpful, but my head is in a bit of a mess... doing an assessment - well procrastinating for the moment. Basically, from a practical standpoint I would say do finance.

chocolates

HSC
Thanks velox and billbro.

yeah.. i really enjoyed economics so far but i probably do acc/finance because it'll be more useful. I still enjoy finance though but just not so as much as economics..

which one have more maths.. finance or eco? im guessing economics if you do Econometrics. Im okay in my maths, but dont want to do very complex maths.

billbro

HSC
N/A
chocolates said:
Thanks velox and billbro.

yeah.. i really enjoyed economics so far but i probably do acc/finance because it'll be more useful. I still enjoy finance though but just not so as much as economics..

which one have more maths.. finance or eco? im guessing economics if you do Econometrics. Im okay in my maths, but dont want to do very complex maths.
My experience was that Finance involved more formulae, though my friends indicated that the amount of maths tends to decrease as you go along.

There isn't much maths in economics and econometrics is statistics, which many will say isn't maths at all. Economics isn't too complex mathematically, though some courses will have mathematical complexity due to the models involve - nothing serious though.

I can't really comment reliably since I don't major in both, but I suspect that finance has more. Lots of capm and formulae and what not.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i do eco and fins. econometrics has practically no maths involved.

finance has a fair amount but its more to do with formulae than really complicated maths.

billbro

HSC
N/A
chocolates said:
ohh, is ecometric hard though? heard people say its hard...
I wouldn't say so, I did reasonably well with minimal effort. You could basically sum up the subject as assumptions and more assumptions, the hardest part is probably coming up with models.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I tend toward the view that you should do what you enjoy cos my economics major helped me get through boring accounting but if you're kinda on the fence in terms of how much you like each one, then just go finance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)