Help! Applying for a U.S/English University (1 Viewer)

boredguy

HSC
Hi, I'm currently a year 11 student going into year 12 next term, and I need someone to help me with the process of applying for an medicine in an overseas university, in particular, universities in U.S/England. ive already tried searching the forums, but most of the information I need isn't there, or I havent searched hard enough.

I have no idea where to begin. I've asked various people, and they all tell me different things. Some of the tell me something about an IB course, while others tell me I have to sit the SAT's and others tell me MCATS. Which one?
Also, can someone briefly explain to me what SAT's are? collgeboard.com tells me of SAT's and SATII's. Which one do I have to sit?

If i have to sit for the SAT's to apply, will my UAI/HSC mark next year count for anything? I'm aiming for 99+, and I'm sure if I put in hard work next year, I'll be able to reach it. Currently first in most of my subjects including Phys,Chem,Maths Ext, Jap etc. and planning to do MX2 and Jap. ext.
This leads me to another question. If I have to sit for SAT's to apply, when is the 'best' time? I've visited collegeboard.com, and the exam dates are next year at Macquarie Uni during my HSC period. Is it better for me to wait until I finish my HSC to apply for SAT's and sit the test? I don't want to be distracted during the HSC, but if I do it the year after, it might collide with Uni if I go to an Australia-based one.
What process do I have to go through to apply for an English University? Will I have to sit a seperate exam, like for U.S Universities?

Is there any organization I can go to, to get 'official' information? Like, a govt. department that deals with foreign exchange? Like I said, i have no idea where to begin. The universities I plan to apply to are very reputable uni's (Ivy leage), so I doubt that I'll be able to go on an exchange program from an Aust. University.

If anyone has any past experience with applying, can you please give me some information/guidance?

Thanks for your time

klaw

HSC
you'd get the most reliable info by emailing the unis :)

ioniser

HSC
hurry up and contact those unis, because you have to do their syllabus not ours ,nsw uai means nothing to them it is only countable to nsw unis,because my tutor is tutoring someone doing what you are doing and he does the syllabus by all the american syllabuses to sit the stat test,you should also ask your school careers adviser and ask your teachers at school as they will have to prepare stuff ffor you differently,actually you should've told them at beginning of yr 11

boredguy

HSC
Can I sit the SAT's and study the work by myself after the HSC?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
What do you mean high school grades? Isn't the uai reflective of your grades?

boredguy

HSC
money isnt really an issue. im sure my parents can afford it, and if i get a job afterwards, i can repay my parents slowly.
Tulipa, did you do any special syllabus or anything? or just sit the SAT's?
also, when did you send applications and stuff?

ioniser

HSC
boredguy said:
money isnt really an issue. im sure my parents can afford it, and if i get a job afterwards, i can repay my parents slowly.
Tulipa, did you do any special syllabus or anything? or just sit the SAT's?
also, when did you send applications and stuff?

yeah the sats are pretty easy ,look them up on the net ,their english section is like our basic skills test except for older kids,our syllabus would cover a majority of thier stuff in 2 unit maths(look them up yourself to give you an idea of the tests)and so you would have to look at their syallubus carefully to see the stuff that we don't cover

also if your applying you should apply for state universities because they're for free(which is really competitive to get into),or other wise you end up going to some college thing which is equivalent to our tafe courses

bonniejjj

HSC
If you look closely on the respective universities' websites, they usually have quite detailed information on international application procedures, as well as full contact details. I did a bit of research earlier this year, and although ideally I would like to attend a top quality university in the USA or UK, it's currently unviable- neither myself nor my family have anywhere close to the money required to attend such a school. The best I can hope for is to do postgraduate study overseas once I have completed a bachelor degree. Currently I am aiming for Harvard's Master of Architecture I, once I have completed the first 3 years of the Bachelor of Architecture at the University of Queensland, and completed a year of practical experience. If I am unsuccessful, then I would like to complete the final 2 years of the architecture degree in Australia, then apply for the Master of Architecture II, a post-professional degree.

I wish the worldwide education systems were a bit more global; personally I am all for increasing globalisation, and the formation of a true global community. Currently the prospect of attending a university outside of Australia is a very remote one for many of us who have entertained the idea, but do not have the means to pursue it.

http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/prospective/applying/international/
Here's a link for prospective undergraduate international students of Harvard College

boredguy

HSC
This might sound stupid, but can someone tell me what undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate is?

ioniser

HSC
boredguy said:
This might sound stupid, but can someone tell me what undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate is?

undergraduate= your typical yr 12 or just someone who doesn't have any degrees thats why they call the courses in uac book that

post graduate=finished 1 degree

ioniser

HSC
Tulipa said:
well see its not the ivy, its the privilege of getting looked down on by preppy brats :uhhuh: see they need to be paid, cause sometimes their drug dealing and daddy's money can't always keep their pretty porsche clean.

wow girl you really want to go don't you, your already mixed in with all their terms.i might go for a post graduate course

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Tulipa said:
well see its not the ivy, its the privilege of getting looked down on by preppy brats :uhhuh: see they need to be paid, cause sometimes their drug dealing and daddy's money can't always keep their pretty porsche clean.
ahahahahahaha :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)