• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HELP- Bachelor of resource Economics (1 Viewer)

lazystudent

HSC
Im pretty sure i want to do a Bachelor of Resource of Economics at sydney uni, the only problem is that assumed knowledge is extention 1 maths. I only did general maths in year 12 (I did get band six), but i am worried that even with a briding course for both maths 2 unit and extention 1 i will be overwealmed with all the new information. Is anyone doing this course at the moment and could they provide me advice as to whether they think i would be able to cope.

The only compulsory maths subjects are
Differential calculus
Linear Algebra
Integral Calculus and Modelling

Anyones help would be appreciated sooooo much.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Probably would not do MATH100X subjects without having done 2 unit. Most people I know that did only general ended up dropping out.

babydoll14

HSC
N/A
I do a course in the faculty and i would say you definitely need 2 unit mathematics.
As there are two maths cores in first year.
Theres calculus which isnt covered in general maths.
maybe do agec its similar in second year and you can take resec units.
but you dont need the maths as much

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
Sorry to bust your bubble but the bachelor of resource economics will no longer be offered at the university of sydney. They also took out horticultural (sp?) science, and they are thinking of changing the "faculty of agriculture food and natural resources" to the "faculty of sustaniability".

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
I'm going to have to bump this topic as I am thinking about doing Resource Economics for 2010.

Anyone here or anyone know of someone who does it. Feedback would be great.

briggs_

HSC
Yeah im thinking of putting this course down as my first preference too, it sounds really good, as it focuses on the environment within an economics/business focus.

The only thing im not sure about is the science aspect as I dont do any science now, apart from ext1 math..... would this affect me in any big way, as they reccommend biology, chem or earth/enviro science as 'reccommended knowledge'?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am almost certain I will be doing this course....... Anything about the faculty in general??? Size, teachers, facilities etc??

Thanks

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Yeah im thinking of putting this course down as my first preference too, it sounds really good, as it focuses on the environment within an economics/business focus.

The only thing im not sure about is the science aspect as I dont do any science now, apart from ext1 math..... would this affect me in any big way, as they reccommend biology, chem or earth/enviro science as 'reccommended knowledge'?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am almost certain I will be doing this course....... Anything about the faculty in general??? Size, teachers, facilities etc??

Thanks
I'm pretty sure there will bridging courses we can do to rectify any issues with assumed knowledge; I haven't really read up on when those will be.

In terms of a B.Res.Ec degree, they accept around 20 students each year, and I would take that as a guide to the faculty size. Of heard a few "testimonials" of how the small faculty size was beneficial during the course of their study.

briggs_

HSC
I think they hold those bridging courses in February....

20 seems a bit small for this degree? The ATAR cut of is around 86 - surely more people would want to do it, or do they just restrict how many can get in, cos Agricultural economics probwill be my back up

The employment prospects/pay are pretty good out too, aren't they?

Mr.GTR

HSC
I'm enrolled in this subject, Just about to finish first year. Its a great course in my opinion, because you get to do a applied economics degree(much more interesting than just basic economics). The degree has like about 30 people in the degree, but the thing is; for your subject selection you are enrolled with many other degree's.

If you have any questions, just send me an PM and ill answer your questions.

I suggest having a good aptitude in maths is needed, doing maths1001 and math1002 will be difficult, even with a bridging course which does start in February (find out if you need it during enrollment).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)