• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help!!!! Br/bnw (1 Viewer)

cool_as_ice14

HSC
I have decided to rewrite my essay, and I have been trying to follow the plan on this site but I am really confused. I started to write it and just the context bit turned out really long. Does any one have any simple advice to write an essay on this module because it's confusing the heck outta me. So far I have tried following the plan, and this is all that I have been able to come up with and it basically everything that is already on the thread.

I'm really confused with this and any help would be fantastic. So far I have written

If the balance between nature and humanity is disturbed than chaos results, Aldous Hoxley’s ‘Brave New World’ and Ridley Scott’s, ‘Blade Runner’ are two texts which both convey a future where natural and social degradation have formed a dystopia. The values presented in both texts show that they are the values of each composer and well as views influenced by political, religious and socio economic views of the time.

‘Brave New World’ was composed in 1932; at the time of the rise of totalitarianism as a result to control the chaos of world war one. This is satirized by Leina, her name derived from Lenin, a totalitarian dictator. There was also the development of mass production creating consumerist cultures through the god like image of the car company ford.

‘Blade Runner’ was composed in 1982 during the time of growth of capitalism, globalisations and giant corporations which acted as super powers. It looks at the growth of the Asian economies, evident through girls on the billboards highlighting a main shift of West to East. Tyrell Corporation dominates, showing the strength of consumerism which is rampant in this society.

Both these texts share many similarities. Their settings can be called dystopic, BR was never a utopia to begin with but has spiralled into a dystopia, BNW is the perfect world where everybody is happy, and this however is not the case because not everybody is happy. These texts both relate to the humanity’s impact on nature and how the natural world has become marginalised through the impact of technology. These texts both talk about the lack of association with the natural world, it has been fully removed in BR and isolated off in BNW, they also explore the effects of consumerism and where it may lead the world as well. They also both have religious themes, in BNW it uses Ford as a satire of the Lord, and in BR uses Tyrell as the ‘god of biomechanics’ with Roy the prodigal son, and fallen angel. These texts also talk about what it means to be human and the blurred line between the artificial and the natural.

These texts are both dissimilar as well as BNW alludes to the advancement of science and it’s disconnection from nature whilst BR talks about consumerism destroying nature for profit. In BNW, the population is generally engineered, John the savage has emotion and is out of place whereas in BR the population is human and replicants are genetically engineered and are out of place. In BNW it places Henry Ford as a god like figure which is different to BR Tyrell is appointed as a god like figure. BNW stops any instability such as murder whilst BR allows replicants to be gunned down by Blade Runners.

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
ok you need to develop the thesis part... at the moment its a bit too short. A detailed thesis with alot of depth makes the rest of the essay easy to write.

You might like to talk about:
- how each composer is critiquing their context's values, attitudes etc
- more about "in the wild" itself (ie. need to retain "natural" human qualities and wild nature etc and why this is the case - eg because the dystopias provoke the audience to challenge our dislocation from the "wild"/natural world)
- paradoxes explored in each text? (harder one to do but works great it you can pull it off)

Ok now for each of these paragraphs you have.. you need alot more examples with specific textual reference especially in the way of language techniques. Also, you make some comments which sometimes aren't founded (ie. how does the use of the name Lenina - derived from lenin - satirise a totalitarian dictator? if i use your name in a satire book, am i satirising what you do? I think you need to use examples like Mond and Social Conditioning (ie removing human autonomy through hypnopaedic propaganda which is then reflected in lenina "i am free. free to have the most wonderful time" irony - she has misunderstood freedom due to the imposed social conditioning)

blade runner - filmic techniques (opening shots etc) mention the use of film noir. The characterisation of the replicants?

The best way to integrate CONTEXT into the response is not (despite what so many people will tell you) is definately not a paragraph at the start of the essay!
You need it to be integrated throughout. so with the example of social conditioning i wrote above, after that you could say this is a reflection of Huxleys concerns of the totalitarian visions developing in his post-wwi context, where the desire for "stability" after the dislocation of WWI led some european countries to seek authoritarian systems for their perceived social cohesion. Yet, by satirising these totalitarian ideologies, huxley warns that totalitarian systems remove the fundamental qualities of our humanity - our freedom - in their search for 'stability'

ok.. so i won't go through the whole thing. But you need to go through the essay and make sure for every conceptual point you raise, there is an example, a technique and a link to context and then the essay will b tops :)

skateykate

HSC
damn...u make it sound easy!!!! lol that helped me a lot THANKS....

cheers

jady06bruce

HSC
Wow... U are both very smart I must say.. Thanks for the info, it is sooooooo helpful..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)