HSC
Hi!
I currently take:
biology
economics
geography
ext 1 maths
ext 1 eng
In yr 10, I also did IPT with a score of 94. I don’t really like biology at the moment because it is too content heavy and geography is kinda boring, so would it be possible to only take 8 units into yr 12 and include IPT in my final 10 units? Or would it be safer if I took 10 units into yr 12?

btw out of curiosity is there a higher chance of scoring over 98.5 with:
biology
economics
geography
ext 1 maths
2u English

OR

economics
geography
ext 1 maths
ext 1 English

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi!
I currently take:
biology
economics
geography
ext 1 maths
ext 1 eng
In yr 10, I also did IPT with a score of 94. I don’t really like biology at the moment because it is too content heavy and geography is kinda boring, so would it be possible to only take 8 units into yr 12 and include IPT in my final 10 units? Or would it be safer if I took 10 units into yr 12?

biology
economics
geography
ext 1 maths
2u English

OR

economics
geography
ext 1 maths
ext 1 English
The one which has a higher chance is the one with the most subjects you enjoy and are good at.

It is definitely safer to take 10 units, but if you've already got a good mark like a 94 in IPT there's not much of a point in taking 10 in year 12. I would've gone with 8 had I been in your position.

Potato Sticks

HSC
Obviously weigh your enjoyment and ability heavily, but also don’t forget scaling, as the impact can be quite substantial.

It is just not true (and somehow heavily repeated) that you can get any ATAR with any combination of subjects. Some subjects will scale a 100 raw mark down to around 90 or below, which is below the 99.95 threshold (400 < about 450) agreggate

yooook

HSC
Hi!
I currently take:
biology
economics
geography
ext 1 maths
ext 1 eng

biology
economics
geography
ext 1 maths
2u English

OR

economics
geography
ext 1 maths
ext 1 English
just study really hard for maths and do 4 u
also how did u get 94 in IPT

quickoats

HSC
biology
economics
geography
ext 1 maths
2u English

OR

economics
geography
ext 1 maths
ext 1 English

Obviously weigh your enjoyment and ability heavily, but also don’t forget scaling, as the impact can be quite substantial.

It is just not true (and somehow heavily repeated) that you can get any ATAR with any combination of subjects. Some subjects will scale a 100 raw mark down to around 90 or below, which is below the 99.95 threshold (400 < about 450) agreggate
With this set of subjects + IPT which has already been done, scaling is relatively okay across the whole range of subjects, so it shouldn't play too much of a role in your decisions. The story might be different if we threw CAFS or Industrial tech into the mix, but since bio/geo are similar, enjoyment and ability should come first.

With regards to 8 units, some schools simply don't allow it, but if you are confident in your ability to smash all 8 units, with your strong IPT score, I don't see much of a reason why to do 10 or 12. However, doing the bare minimum with extension subjects might be a bit hard if halfway through the year you decide that MX1 or EE1 is not for you.

dasfas

HSC
Hi!
I currently take:
biology
economics
geography
ext 1 maths
ext 1 eng

biology
economics
geography
ext 1 maths
2u English

OR

economics
geography
ext 1 maths
ext 1 English
You've heard this time and time again and you'll hear it now once more. Do what you enjoy. If you hate a subject, you won't put in effort into it and you won't do well. My favourite subjects were my best by far (Bio & Chem) and the ones I enjoyed less, I did worse in. Scaling between bio, eco, geo are all very very similar. Ext subjects obviously scaled better, but they're also generally harder and also as much workload as a 2u subject, if not more. I highly recommend at least 11 units, if not 12.

Good luck

flowerp

HSC
N/A
In my opinion, defs do 10 units in year 12 (so 12 with IPT) especially if you're gonna take 2 extension subjects. I took 2 extensions and completed 12 units for the HSC. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't drop to 10 units because the subject I was considering dropping ended up counting !!!! As quickoats said, performing consistently across 10 units comprising of 2 ext subjects is difficult. I reckon it's better to play safe and have a back up :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)