HELP: Changing Uni Preferences (1 Viewer)

superdan7

HSC
Say for 'instance', that your first preference is 99.55, but you only achieved an atar of 98.5.

Because you are hopeful, you hold onto that preference hoping that you might receieve an offer in a later round.

So, your second preference only needs an atar of 95 (and 'yours' is 98.5).

The Question: Will you get a main round offer for your second preference even though you didn't achieve the cut-off for your first preference?

philphie

Banned
HSC
Say for 'instance', that your first preference is 99.55, but you only achieved an atar of 98.5.

Because you are hopeful, you hold onto that preference hoping that you might receieve an offer in a later round.

So, your second preference only needs an atar of 95 (and 'yours' is 98.5).

The Question: Will you get a main round offer for your second preference even though you didn't achieve the cut-off for your first preference?
yes, that's how it works. if you don't get the first, then they look at the second, if you didn't make it then they look at the third.

if you don't mind me asking, what are the courses?

Michellle

HSC
yes you do :)

so let's say you don't make it to your 1st or 2nd preference somehow, then your 3rd preference would be offered to you.

However if you prefer the 1st or 2nd preference, you can try and wait for your 1st and 2nd preference to be offered later. (ANd you can still 'hold on' onto your 3rd preference)

I hope you make it into your first preference! and if you don't and you really like the course, you can always transfer with good marks

GOODLUCK

Last edited:

superdan7

HSC
Thanks guys. By the way:

My first preference was: Law at USYD 99.5

Second: International & Global STudies at USYD 94.55 (i think)

Without Wings

Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
If you don't get into your first preference but meet the cutoff for your second preference you will be offered a place within this course (second preference). I recommend you accept this offer (as a backup in case you don't get a further offer) and hope for a offer in a further round for your first preference. If you then get an offer for your first preference and wish to do this over your second preference you can withdraw from your second preference and accept your first preference.

Some quotes from UAC which should assist you...

If you are not selected for your first preference, you’ll be considered equally with all other eligible applicants for your second preference and so on. Your chance of being selected for a particular course isn’t decreased because you placed a course as a lower order preference.
If you receive an offer in one round, don't assume that you will receive another offer in a subsequent round. If you don't accept your offer and you don't receive an offer in a subsequent round, you may miss out on tertiary study in 2010.

Accepting an offer does not stop you from being considered in subsequent offer rounds unless it is your first preference. You must accept your offer by the date indicated in your offer material otherwise you may lose your offer.
You could receive an offer in more than one round. If you do, you can choose which offer to accept. If you receive an offer in one round and accept it, and then receive an offer in a later round, you can choose either to:

- keep your previous offer and not accept your new offer or
- withdraw from your previous offer and accept your new offer.
You can only receive one offer to a Commonwealth-supported course in each offer round. Not all institutions make offers in the October, November, December and Early January Rounds.

The majority of offers are made in the Main Round. Institutions only make offers in the Early February and Final rounds if there are vacancies.
Source: Offers - UAC undergraduate FAQs

Last edited:

philphie

Banned
HSC
Thanks guys. By the way:

My first preference was: Law at USYD 99.5

Second: International & Global STudies at USYD 94.55 (i think)
damn, you just bumped me out of the 5 bonus system for that course. that's what i get for just watching UN news feeds on youtube every night instead of studying

superdan7

HSC
How come some people are getting early offers for university courses?

Is it because they have really good atars and chose that particular course as their first preference?

Without Wings

Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
How come some people are getting early offers for university courses?

Is it because they have really good atars and chose that particular course as their first preference?
They may have received offers in earlier rounds such as the December round etc.

You can find the offer rounds here: Offers - UAC undergraduate website

The majority of offers are made in the Main Round.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
It depends - some unis run Early Entry schemes, e.g. UoW and UC, and some courses which have non-ATAR entrance requirements e.g. Music degrees give early round offers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)