HELP CHOOSING SUBJECTS (1 Viewer)

username ok

HSC
Hi i want to do either actuary, IT or engineering as a career and need to choose subjects accordingly for year 11
right now ive chosen
accelerated bio
adv eng
ext 1 math
ipt
engineering studies??
software??
business studies??
physics??
both i cant choose between the question mark subjects

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
You have picked IPT, meaning you have already picked a subject that focuses on technology. Whether you want a deeper technological perspective (which you can gain by taking both IPT and SDD) is something you should consider, should you wish to take both subjects. However, considering you have other career aspirations in addition to IT, I would not recommend taking SDD as doing so will prevent you from gaining other perspectives relevant to your other career aspirations.

Since becoming an actuary is also one of your career aspirations, and considering the fact that you haven't taken/listed Economics along with your other options, I would recommend taking Business Studies because it's a subject that allows you to build a foundation of knowledge related to different areas of business, including concepts that are linked to finance/accounting/economics.

This leaves us with your engineering career aspiration and two subjects, Engineering Studies and Physics. One thing you may wish to consider with respect to those 2 subjects is scaling, with Physics scaling relatively better when compared to Engineering Studies. Another important thing to consider is which subject you feel you would be more interested in/can perform better at. Perhaps you could recall whether your experience in year 10 science was good and whether or not you want to try something new, allowing you to make a more informed decision.

I hope this helps! 😄

idkkdi

HSC
Hi i want to do either actuary, IT or engineering as a career and need to choose subjects accordingly for year 11
right now ive chosen
accelerated bio
adv eng
ext 1 math
ipt
engineering studies??
software??
business studies??
physics??
both i cant choose between the question mark subjects
take physics if actually considering engineering.

username ok

HSC
You have picked IPT, meaning you have already picked a subject that focuses on technology. Whether you want a deeper technological perspective (which you can gain by taking both IPT and SDD) is something you should consider, should you wish to take both subjects. However, considering you have other career aspirations in addition to IT, I would not recommend taking SDD as doing so will prevent you from gaining other perspectives relevant to your other career aspirations.

Since becoming an actuary is also one of your career aspirations, and considering the fact that you haven't taken/listed Economics along with your other options, I would recommend taking Business Studies because it's a subject that allows you to build a foundation of knowledge related to different areas of business, including concepts that are linked to finance/accounting/economics.

This leaves us with your engineering career aspiration and two subjects, Engineering Studies and Physics. One thing you may wish to consider with respect to those 2 subjects is scaling, with Physics scaling relatively better when compared to Engineering Studies. Another important thing to consider is which subject you feel you would be more interested in/can perform better at. Perhaps you could recall whether your experience in year 10 science was good and whether or not you want to try something new, allowing you to make a more informed decision.

I hope this helps! 😄
hi thank you so much. The thing I don't think I can do essay under pressure and like business studies is just that. But then again I really want to do actuary like thats my main career goal Im going for.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
hi thank you so much. The thing I don't think I can do essay under pressure and like business studies is just that. But then again I really want to do actuary like thats my main career goal Im going for.
No worries, if you feel essays are not for you then you should probably think about taking either SDD in addition to IPT or one/both Physics and Engineering Studies. While the knowledge you gain in subjects like Economics and Business Studies would likely be beneficial, I doubt either of these subjects are prerequisites for a Bachelor of Actuarial Studies so you should definitely be fine as long as you meet relevant ATAR requirements.

As I mentioned previously, doing both IPT and SDD gives you a deeper technological perspective. If you decide not to take Business Studies, you will also have the option of taking Physics and/or Engineering Studies, which will allow you to build a foundation of knowledge relevant to engineering that is consistent with your career aspiration. I think it ultimately depends on which career you feel you lean more towards, i.e. engineering vs IT, which one would have the priority after Actuarial Studies.

idkkdi

HSC
make sure ur maths is decent if u want to do actuary lol. take 4u y12.

quickoats

HSC
make sure ur maths is decent if u want to do actuary lol. take 4u y12.
Arguably more important for stuff like electro engo lmao… actuarial studies only do 2 math classes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)