HELP!! current account and capital/financial account!!! (1 Viewer)

marxisming

HSC
hey guys, i need your help. i need help in understanding how... a reduction in Australian investment overseas is a credit entry in the capital financial account and therefore contributing to a greater deficit in the current account.

we all know that the deficit on the current acocunt is equal to the surplus in the capital and financial account.

i understand that a surplus in the capital and financial account is made up of credit entries: 1) increased foreign investment overseas
example: Country X invests in Australia, say FDI (this would be considered as a net inflow on the capital/financial account ) and Country X will then earn its return on their investment therefore money flowing out from Australia to country X, and hence recorded on the net income deficit.

i get that ... but what i dont get is the other credit entry: 2) reduction in Australian investment overseas
how does less Australians investing overseas represent a net inflow on the cap/financial account but at the same a net income deficit ???

have i missed something, totally lost the plot or fretting over something very simple???!!???

your help is much appreciated!!! thanks in advanced!!
i got this info from the Tom Dixon & John O Mahony- Leading Edge.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
I think when you said that "Australian investment oversease is reducing" you must assume that inflow investment into australia is constant. If you have a increase inflow and decrease outflow, you creating a greater surplus on the CFA and hence a greater deficit on the CA (since interest has to be paid to thoes inflows and less interest is paid back to AUS due to reduce AUS outflow of investment)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)