Help! Difference between Separating Funnel technique and Solvent Extraction (1 Viewer)

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,
So i'm really confused about what the difference is between the separating funnel technique and solvent extraction.
( my teacher did both of these experiments separately but to me the set up looked pretty much the same and we did pretty much the same thing)
I'm doing pre-lim chem and the topic currently is mixtures.
Any help will be much appreciated!

mac1996

HSC
i did prelim chem last year
from what i remember, separating funnel separates two different liquids that do not mix together (they are immiscible) due to the intermolecular forces (probly haven't learnt that yet) which results in a different boiling point. Intermolecular forces are the forces between each molecule of a given substance. The stronger the intermolecular force the more energy needed to boil the substance. The energy needed is the form of heat (boiling point). This results in the difference in boiling points.

i do not know what solvent extraction is, i doubt we learnt that
but u don't need to know these techniques for the hsc course
hsc chem gets a lot better, and hardly anything gets carried on from prelims

hope i helped:)
thanks

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Ummm separation funnel is used when you have 2 liquids of different density that are immiscible like water and oil. I don't know what you mean by solvent extraction unless that's another name for distillation, in which case this will work provided that both liquids immiscible/miscible have boiling points which are quite different i'd say somewhere around 10 degrees different to avoid contamination

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)