help! drop history ext or not! (1 Viewer)

cupcake

Plur and shit
HSC
hey... for everyone doing history ext this year... do you think dropping it and only having 10 units would be lstupid? cos its just so much material and i don't think i can handle all the memory work needed plus ive missed heaps of lessons already due to sickness etc.

can somebody please outline what exactly is the criteria for this subject like how are marks allocated? is it just 40% for major work then mid years, trials and the hsc?

hello99999

HSC
I did ext. hist. last year.
I considered dropping it a few times throughout the year, but honestly, I'm SO glad that I didn't. It's worth keeping, especially if you're down to 10 units once you drop it.
Seriously, 11 units is not that much.
Once you get your major work over and done with, the rest of ext. hist. is pretty easy and it's really interesting too. there's not really that much to memorise and it scales really well. I say keep it- but it's up to you.

The major work is worth 80% of your school assessment, i.e. 40% of your final mark. If you've missed a lot, maybe ask your teacher if he/she can spend a lunchtime or two going over the stuff you missed, or get one of your friends to help you or something. You shouldn't have half-yearlies or non-major work assessments for ext. hist., only trials.

Last edited:

warrior95

HSC
All theyre looking for is some evidence that you've learned more about history than you would in Modern or Ancient alone. IE History "extension". It's just about the stuff behind the actual events - the historians, the people who write it. And that's about it. You don't need to be an historical revolutionary.

'nother plus is it really bolsters your 2 unit history.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
I did ext his. last year and dropped it after one term. I couldn't handle all the extra reading and I didnt really need cos with that I had 13 units. Plus it was an after-school class and had about 4 people in the class. So I just went bye bye with it. I also found it boring..modern and ancient is better.
BUT, if you are doing well in it and can handle the amount of work, definately keep it.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
yeah i reckon keep it.
like 1 assignment worth almost everything
and it scales awesomely

emo_chick

HSC
i have considered it many times dropping this course..but in the end its really up to you. see how you go in your proposal and (maybe essay if your still bothered). if you're not happy with your marks and feel like your just wasting time then drop it.

dropping it and onli having 10 units is not stupid at all. :)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
i briefly considered dropping history extension last year but i've never regretted keeping it. the first part of the course, history and historians, is very simple and you shouldnt have any trouble with it. the case study CAN be difficult and some of them, such as appeasement, are a little more difficult than others, but they are all far more interesting than what you do in ancient or modern history and the skills you learn in this course are a definate advantage with the others. the main killer is the project - but it's a lot of fun, though if you're anything like me you'll end up having some very long nights close to when it's due!
it's a great course for any one interested in history at all, so my advice is keep it - it scales well and it requires you to think differently to all other subjects (except maybe extension english 1 & 2) so it gives a really welcome break from them.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i was going to drop today but i've decided to wait it out some more

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
i want to drop it coz i do ext2 and damn..i'm sick of getting so many assessments in other subjects. but yeah..might keep it. its not like i don't like the course, just the strain of the work...on top of other work.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
hey, just remember, apart from the major project, there isn't a lot of work you will be required to do (as in assessment work). Just remember that although the major project may seem a little daunting now, you do have a lot of time to do it in, so if you just work consistently on it you'll be fine - as little as an hour a week would probably see you finished way before the deadline.

lalason

I was thinking of dropping it as well because I've heard that since its my 11th unit, they won't take my ten best units, they'll only replace one of my ancient history units with history ex, and not replace a unit from my worst subject :S
I looked on the board of studies but couldn't find info on that, anyone know?

veridis

droog
HSC
where did you hear that?
its just your best 10. it can replace anything. your hist ext and ancient marks have nothing to do with each other(past the point where you did well enough in prelim for your school to let you do ext)

MaryJ_

HSC
I think its probably a good idea that you keep it. It's really not all that much work if you plan your time. Even if you don't (like me) it's not too hard to do some solid work for a few days when the holidays come around. The 'what is history' topic is pretty basic and you'll survive the case study if you enjoy your history. Also it's a bit of security just in case you don't do as well as you'd hoped in your other 10 units.

boringhousewife

HSC
I was thinking of dropping it too. SO much reading, and the historiography is boring as bat shit.
But we start Kennedy next term, so should be more interesting.
I'm just tonight thinking of changing my major assessment task. Maybe a dumb move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)