Help! Economics assignment! (1 Viewer)

tilly_m

HSC
The question:

Due to Australia's geographical location, its economic development has been supported by strong resource demand from China and India. Analyse how this has affected positively or negatively on the balance of payments and the exchange rates.

Tips, or structural suggestions. Pleaaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeeee.
:)

unthink_this

HSC
Quickly, from the top of my head:

Australia is rich with resources (particularly those we mine from the ground). From a chemistry point of view, our coal contains lower sulfur content, thus, is more environmentally friendly. However, we tend to keep low-sulfur content coal to ourselves, and sell our higher-content coal, cheaper, to countries such as China and India, who would rather spend less on the cost of materials for manufacture.

Geographical location? It would have to do with how all of our coal got there in the first place. From general knowledge (which is a little flawed), Australia used to be mostly forest/swamp/etc. So, over time, when organic material dies, they become compressed and eventually form coal. Something like that. I would not say "isolation" is a good example, as that makes it harder for us to transport/export our commodities to China + India.

I think you should mention something about the improvement of the terms of trade.

This will result in positive effects for a number of reasons. The mining/agriculture is our biggest industry (elaborate on this). Taxation of the mining industry (you should be aware of the current news). Creation of jobs. etc etc etc. All this can contribute to structural change.

Structural change refers to changes in the economy's structure of production and level of technological progress as economic development takes place. Structural change is linked to the allocation of resources (mining) etc.. Since there is increase in production (of , we are competing at an international level). Wooooh! And in the end, something about higher standards of living.

Oooft, one last thing. Exchange rates. Yes. Um. What can I think of? I don't know. Australia's exchange rate will appreciate, that is there is a rise in our purchasing power

Use the term "resource boom".

Sweeeeeet.

Reading back, this is pretty rubbish, I'm sure someone else can do better. Be sure to confirm all of this, I may not be 100% correct. But this is just a starter.

Last edited:

tilly_m

HSC
I guess some of the points you've made are valid,
but I think what it's really asking is what are the effects as such.
Basically I've set it out into Consumers, Firms, Foreign Exporters/Investors and the Income/Value earned in Investment overseas- And have decided to focus on the negative aspects.

But I'm seriously struggling on the last Income and the Value of Investment in overseas in relation to decreasing the Australian dollar.

Some one elaborate?
:)

-Lemon-

HSC
N/A
do you know what determines a AUD exchange rate.....?
simply set up a supply/demand analysis.......

tilly_m

HSC
:) Yes yes.
None of the comments particulary helped in the end though.
Thanks anyway?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)